Third baseman for the coming season

BohKnowsBmore

Opening Day 3B?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is (or should be) the Orioles OD 3B?

• Renato Nunez
    • Some other internal (non-prospect) option
    • Free agent
    • Prospect (currently has prospect status)

Who do you want/foresee as the O's 3rd baseman to start the 2019 season?

Renato Nunez started 56 games for the Birds in 2018 and performed decently, slashing .275/.336/.445/.781 with solid (albeit unspectacular) defense at the hot corner (resulting in 1.2 rWAR).  He's arb eligible in 2021.

Free agent alternatives include (in order from Spotrac?

Josh Donaldson (33), Adrian Beltre (40), Eduardo Escobar (30), Trevor Plouffe (33), Will Middlebrooks (30), Mark Reynolds (35), Ryan Flaherty (32), Pablo Sandoval (32), Chris Nelson (33), Andy LaRoche (35), Conor Gillaspie (31)

Additionally, the Os could look to promote someone internally from the farm.

I personally don't want Mountcastle to be brought up too early if he's considered the LT answer at 3B.  I've mentioned before, I think based on what I have read that one of the worst aspects of our development in the dark years--particularly with "the Calvary"--was the lack of pressure to perform in order to be promoted to the Show.  I don't want any of our MLB spots to be given to our best prospects by default, even while we are losing.  For me, this leaves the decision as Nunez vs. a FA.  Nunex would save money and potentially has room to grow into something more (he's only 25 IIRC).  Alternatively, a guy like Donaldson or Beltre could feasibly represent a tradable asset at the deadline.

Ultimately I think we end up going with Nunez with some AAAA guy like Corban Joseph getting a handful of at bats, then Mountcastle comes up after the ASB.  Interested to hear the OH's collective thoughts, though.

I'd be pissed if the Orioles signed any of the available free agent third basemen.  I don't think that Mountcastle is ready and I don't think that Peterson or Wilkerson are any better players or prospects than Nunez.  

So, play Nunez for now, anyway.

My guess is Nunez will get the chance in ST to claim the job, and will have to perform poorly to not be the starter on Opening Day.  They're not going to go sign anyone, other than a JAG, and that person would just be of the same or less cailber as Nunez.  Mountcastle will get a look in ST but probably isn't ready, plus there are the defensive questions about him at 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Nunez to start. Wilkerson will be his late inning defensive replacement.

He has 24 games started at SS over five seasons.  Is there room for Wilkerson if he can't be trusted at short?

I don't want a guy on the roster just to be an infield defensive replacement.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He has 24 games started at SS over five seasons.  Is there room for Wilkerson if he can't be trusted at short?

I don't want a guy on the roster just to be an infield defensive replacement.

I think he will get more work at shortstop in the AFL and in the spring for that reason.

Has the arm for it, range too. 

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think he will get more work at shortstop in the AFL and in the spring for that reason.

Has the arm for it, range too. 

This is one of those things I always question.

If he has the arm and range for short, why wasn't he playing it more often in the minors?

Either he can't play short or the development people down the line messed up.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is the same team that kept putting Mountcastle and Schoop out there at SS even thought they knew they wouldn't stick there long term right?

Yeah, so you can see how their developmental track record isn't the best...

I'm really not sure why Wilkerson was never put as a shortstop in the minors though. 

12 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah, so you can see how their developmental track record isn't the best...

I'm really not sure why Wilkerson was never put as a shortstop in the minors though. 

That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Industry standard, which the O's followed with Mountcastle and Schoop, is to keep a guy at the position of greatest defensive value until he absolutely plays himself off of it.  Mark Reynolds had 85 games started at Shortstop.

It would be very odd for Wilkerson to be a viable major league Shortstop having played there so sparingly there in the minors. 

Archived