O's need to a plan for SS this season

ScGO's

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take is: we're not even remotely looking at winning in 2019, whether it's 110 loses, 100 loses, 95 loses.. they're all the same.  You put someone cheap in there, bonus points if they help us get another first overall pick.  You want to point JJ Hardy, Schoop, some guy I don't know from A ball, sure.  Put Chris Davis, it would at least be morbidly amusing.  Bottom line, save some money.. use it on scouting and international acquisition if possible.

1 hour ago, gmelson26 said:

My take is: we're not even remotely looking at winning in 2019, whether it's 110 loses, 100 loses, 95 loses.. they're all the same.  You put someone cheap in there, bonus points if they help us get another first overall pick.  You want to point JJ Hardy, Schoop, some guy I don't know from A ball, sure.  Put Chris Davis, it would at least be morbidly amusing.  Bottom line, save some money.. use it on scouting and international acquisition if possible.

To me the exception is defense in key positions.   As we start to bring up young pitchers they need to have a good defense behind them so they can challenge pitchers and not pitch scared.   

55 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

In house options: Villar, Beckham, Valera, Wilkerson, Vielma, Sardinas (free agent now), Salcedo.

Going even lower: Clare, McCoy, Greiner, Hall, Carmona.

Or: Givens, Mountcastle, Sisco...

I'm fine with Beckham. You wont get a better defensive SS for less than 5M.

20 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I'm fine with Beckham. You wont get a better defensive SS for less than 5M.

Are you saying you think Beckhsm is better defensively than Iglesias and Mercer or that  you think  Iglesias and Mercer will get more than $5 million?  I don't agree with either.

1 hour ago, POR said:

Are you saying you think Beckhsm is better defensively than Iglesias and Mercer or that  you think  Iglesias and Mercer will get more than $5 million?  I don't agree with either.

Iglesias made 6.2m last year.  He is 28 and considered a plus defensive SS.   He will make at least what he is did last year and maybe for a multi year contract.

Mercer made 6.7m last year.  He is 32.  He may be available for less depending on the market.   

Villar is projected to make 4.4m and he is an Oriole.   The O's have a couple of other candidates to play 2B,

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Move Givens back to short.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd bring back Beckham.

I'd release and resign him for less than what he would make if we go to arbitration, but I'd teach him how to play outfield and make him super utility.  Then trade him if this pushes his value up.

Archived