Top President / EVP Candidates?

wildcard

5 hours ago, weams said:

I find it very doubtful that Kim Ng would fill the President role that is constantly being leaked to us as a first step. 

Then why would. They be looking at her. If the new President will have the hire authority over his staff including manager and GM.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2018 at 11:56 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think there is a GM in the business that has 100% carte bache to run things without some ownership involvement. Which I suspect varies greatly among the 30 teams.

There's ownership oversight and involvement, and then there's Brady Anderson having carte blanche and reporting directly to ownership. Angelos never liked direct lines of responsibilities. 

22 hours ago, weams said:

I find it very doubtful that Kim Ng would fill the President role that is constantly being leaked to us as a first step. 

Ng's background seems to be much more on the business and administrative side than the personnel side.

1 hour ago, POR said:

Ng's background seems to be much more on the business and administrative side than the personnel side.

That’s why she would make sense to be President of Baseball Ops and hire a GM under her that has more of a background in scouting, development & player personnel.  It’s the best of both worlds that way.  And the fact that she currently works for MLB could really help the O’s efforts with resolving the MASN dispute and ownership transition approval, both of which are hanging over the organization like a dark cloud.

46 minutes ago, Obando said:

That’s why she would make sense to be President of Baseball Ops and hire a GM under her that has more of a background in scouting, development & player personnel.  It’s the best of both worlds that way.  And the fact that she currently works for MLB could really help the O’s efforts with resolving the MASN dispute and ownership transition approval, both of which are hanging over the organization like a dark cloud.

There is no person on this planet, that could resolve the MASN dispute to the satisfaction of the Oriole ownership. Of course, any resolution that the Orioles would agree to, would not be accepted by the Lerners.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There is no person on this planet, that could resolve the MASN dispute to the satisfaction of the Oriole ownership. Of course, any resolution that the Orioles would agree to, would not be accepted by the Lerners.

You are probably close to right but it's going to have to be settled at some point. If both parties walk away a little dissatisfied it's probably a fair deal for both sides.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

You are probably close to right but it's going to have to be settled at some point. If both parties walk away a little dissatisfied it's probably a fair deal for both sides.

I agree, but with Angelos having his own law firm, and the Lerners having very deep pockets and their own top notch high dollar guys.

This could stay in ligation for decades.

As for hiring Kim Ng I have numerous doubts. For President or GM. Her experience on the Player Personnel side is limited and that is a key element of what The Orioles need. She also has never built an Organization from the ground up. I also don't think the MASN dispute should have anything to do with the decision for President or GM. They are separate issues and need to be addressed as such.

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

As for hiring Kim Ng I have numerous doubts. For President or GM. Her experience on the Player Personnel side is limited and that is a key element of what The Orioles need. She also has never built an Organization from the ground up. I also don't think the MASN dispute should have anything to do with the decision for President or GM. They are separate issues and need to be addressed as such.

She would probably best be served as a President somewhere and allow her focus on the business side of things, and with a solid GM that would be responsible for the player personnel side of the house.

The Angelos regime hasn't been good at too many things, but it has established a pretty good record of avoiding leaks about major deliberations and decisions like this. (The listless local media deserve some of the credit; I can't judge how much.) 

I'm finding it frustrating to watch on a couple-of-times-a-day basis as tiny droplets of information dribble out, amidst a sea of speculation and unconfirmed rumors, about what the process is, or whom the Angeloses are or might be interviewing or considering, or how many top executives they might be hiring, or what those executives' division of responsibilities might be, or who might be hired as manager or coaches.

It sure seems like not much is happening. But who knows? Given the team's delicate position with MLB (an understatement, IMO), it may be that they're trying to play nice by keeping any announcements, or even disclosures or leaks about progress they're making, in check until after the World Series.

So I'm going to try to avoid devoting any time thinking about or spilling any more electrons over this issue until after the World Series. If nothing happens a week or so after the likely showdown between two of the three highest payroll teams in MLB (the Giants edge the Dodgers for second according to most sources) concludes, I'll start worrying and will probably jump to the conclusion that John and Lou Angelos, while a distinct improvement over their father as operators of an MLB team, are a couple of decent guys who are in over their heads. Actually, I've already leapt to that conclusion and am just hoping they will prove me wrong. 

Archived