Top President / EVP Candidates?

wildcard

Roch Kubatko  seems firm on the idea that the O's are interviewing for a President..  That is a change in philosophy from what I expected but who the heck am I to say.   Lets say Roch is right.   First question is it a  President for the Orioles that handles the Business Side and the Baseball Ops or is it just  a President of Baseball Ops?   What is the profile of a good President.   Here is what I think:

1) Someone that has had some success in building a Team.  Hopefully a Baseball team but maybe not.   The O's this summer hire John Vidalin has COO of Business Ops.   His background is in NBA and NFL.    Is the President over Business Ops and Baseball Ops or not.

2) Look at some of the Presidents in Baseball.   Phillies- Andy MacPhail,   Red Sox Sam Kennedy,    Blue Jays - Mark Shapiro are some examples.  They manage both Business Ops and Baseball Ops.

3) Red  Sox - Dave Dombrowski,  Cubs  and Theo Epstein are examples on  Presidents of Baseball Ops that manage only the Baseball side of the team.

4) GMs may be a good place to look for a President.   It could be  a promotion depending of how much the O's are willing to pay.   

There are 5 or 6 MLB teams looking of field managers,   3 that may be looking for GMs but as far as I know the O's are the only team looking for a President if Roch is right.   That could make competition for a top baseball exec less.

The President would hire the GM and probably have a say in who the Manager will be.

Who might be Candidates?    

I have read the Mark Shapiro might be moving on from the Blue Jays.  He could be a candidate;

Any one else?

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Roch Kubatko  seems firm on the idea that the O's are interviewing for a President..  That is a change in philosophy from what I expected but who the heck am I to say.   Lets say Roch is right.   First question is it a  President for the Orioles that handles the Business Side and the Baseball Ops or is it just  a President of Baseball Ops?   What is the profile of a good President.   Here is what I think:

1) Someone that has had some success in building a Team.  Hopefully a Baseball team but maybe not.   The O's this summer hire John Vidalin has COO of Business Ops.   His background is in NBA and NFL.    Is the President over Business Ops and Baseball Ops or not.

2) Look at some of the Presidents in Baseball.   Phillies- Andy MacPhail,   Red Sox Sam Kennedy,    Blue Jays - Mark Shapiro are some examples.  They manage both Business Ops and Baseball Ops.

3) Red  Sox - Dave Dombrowski,  Cubs  and Theo Epstein are examples on  Presidents of Baseball Ops that manage only the Baseball side of the team.

4) GMs may be a good place to look for a President.   It could be  a promotion depending of how much the O's are willing to pay.   

There are 5 or 6 MLB teams looking of field managers,   3 that may be looking for GMs but as far as I know the O's are the only team looking for a President if Roch is right.   That could make competition for a top baseball exec less.

The President would hire the GM and probably have a say in who the Manager will be.

Who might be Candidates?    

I have read the Mark Shapiro might be moving on from the Blue Jays.  He could be a candidate;

Any one else?

Aren't the Giants looking for a President?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Aren't the Giants looking for a President?

I guess that depends on what report you believe.

Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations, Brian Sabean is still in place the last I heard.   Bobby Evans the GM has been let go. I have seen reports the Sabean could also go depending on who the Giants can attract.

There is a report that the Giant asked for permission to interview GM David Stearn.  That would probably have to be higher position than GM to make it a happen.  But he Brewers denied the request.  

Dodgers  Josh Byrnes  and Rays  Chaim Bloom are VP of Baseball Ops Chaim Bloom  would probably get a  EVP or President Title.

Brewers Assistant GM Matt Arnold,  Astros  Asst GM Mike Elias and  Blue Jays Ben Cherington may take GM jobs.  

But you are right.  The Giants might hire a title above GM for the right person.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess that depends on what report you believe.

Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations, Brian Sabean is still in place the last I heard.   Bobby Evans the GM has been let go. I have seen reports the Sabean could also go depending on who the Giants can attract.

There is a report that the Giant asked for permission to interview GM David Stearn.  That would probably have to be higher position than GM to make it a happen.  But he Brewers denied the request.  

Dodgers  Josh Byrnes  and Rays  Chaim Bloom are VP of Baseball Ops Chaim Bloom  would probably get a  EVP or President Title.

Brewers Assistant GM Matt Arnold,  Astros  Asst GM Mike Elias and  Blue Jays Ben Cherington may take GM jobs.  

But you are right.  The Giants might hire a title above GM for the right person.

I read an article where Sabean is being kept on just to lead the search for his succesor.   He is leaving of his own accord.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I read an article where Sabean is being kept on just to lead the search for his succesor.   He is leaving of his own accord.

I read that also but I have also read he is not being replaced.

Roch is talking about the O's hiring a President and a GM.  The Giants seem to be looking for one guy to head their baseball side, whatever title he gets.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Who might be Candidates?    

Any one else?

A GM should have the ability to pick his own choice of manager. Smart run organizations do that. Of course that leaves out the Orioles. 

48 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

A GM should have the ability to pick his own choice of manager. Smart run organizations do that. Of course that leaves out the Orioles. 

If the O's hire a President and  you believe he will have no input on the Manager.  That is not happening IMO.   The GM and President will have to agree on the Manager IMO.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

If the O's hire a President and  you believe he will have no input on the Manager.  That is not happening IMO.   The GM and President will have to agree on the Manager IMO.

This organization hired Buck before they hired DD. This organization always puts the cart before the horse. They won't be successful for many years because of the way they operate. Hell I am 70. I won't live to see this stupid ass run organization win another WS.

38 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I truly believe that whoever gets the job as President should have certain, very specific clauses in their contract. Like if they resign because of Ownership interference, they get paid their entire contract. Among other things.

I agree with that sentiment, but what ownership group would give a clause like that?  It's not realistic, imo. 

But we all "know" -to the extent we can- how this thing has worked in the past, so I can't understand, personally, all the levels of structure.  Ownership, President, Vice Presidents in charge of sundry bottle washing duties, GM, Manager... it's too much.  Call the GM the President or just GM, whatever, but all that filtering down from Ownership is partially, if not mainly, what has lead to the mess we had in the 2000's and now today.  Simplifying is the key, I think.

I've sort of had this idea for a long time that the reason there are all these titled people who have a conduit to ownership is so that ownership can pick what they like despite whatever organization structure they say they have put in place.  In other words, they know what they want and they merely wait until one of the "Positions" affirms that idea, so it sort of appears as an organizational decision when the reality is that it was an ad hoc ownership decision.  That really isn't structure, that's window dressing.

Archived