Top President / EVP Candidates?

wildcard

13 minutes ago, weams said:

No disrespect, but Kim is a 50 year old woman. Why would she need ANY mentor?

If you don't want to use the word "mentor", then use the word "confidant".  

If I were asked to provide guidance to ANYONE on the upswing in their career, I would advise to steer clear of the Orioles (because of the dysfunctionality, the two behemoths in our division, the starting completely at ground zero, the history of interference, the lack of a top farm system) and wait for the next gig to open.  

The only allure to the Os position is possibly a lack of downside or being held accountable for poor play.  We are going to be very bad for at least a couple of seasons.  We are probably going to have to hire someone similar to DD - someone with a relatively tarnished reputation in the industry who is looking to make a comeback.  

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Because of the dysfunctionality?  I can see that, but we have always been pretty dysfunctional, yet Duquette caught the wave at the right time and got interest in a much sweeter gig with the Jays.  If his contract was up he would surely have taken it.  So for people like Ng or whoever, there's a lot of upside to taking this position and making something, anything out of it.  It means the next time there's a better open job, you're almost always an automatic candidate with an inside track by virtue of being a former GM.  And if she is here for a few years and we still suck pretty bad, everyone will understand it probably had more to do with us being a circus than her talents.  I think she would be evaluated fairly.

Duquette did come here and say we would win, but he had a tremendous amount of talent in the minor leagues - look at how many all-stars were in the system when he came on board.  Duquette also won when the NYY and BoSox were fielding relatively mediocre teams for much of the 2012-16 run - that is not the case now.  Both teams are set up to be 100 game winners for the next two years at least - and likely more and Tampa is IMO a top 10 team for the next three to five years at least.  The Os haven't been in this poor shape in terms of investing internationally since before AM.  Supposedly, there are also technology investments to be made.  And there is an unproven, relative front office novice with no track record who sits between the new GM and ownership.  

It's simply not an attractive position for anyone who would be considered an "up and coming" GM candidate.  

The only benefit is literally starting from scratch and that may be beyond the capacity of a young GM candidate - who would need to build a competitive analytics group probably from scratch, an international organization, and likely overhaul to the front office and warehouse - the ladder is something that hasn't ever been done.  It's a total cluster#### that Peter Angelos and Dan Duquette have left behind.

24 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

If you don't want to use the word "mentor", then use the word "confidant".  

If I were asked to provide guidance to ANYONE on the upswing in their career, I would advise to steer clear of the Orioles (because of the dysfunctionality, the two behemoths in our division, the starting completely at ground zero, the history of interference, the lack of a top farm system) and wait for the next gig to open.  

The only allure to the Os position is possibly a lack of downside or being held accountable for poor play.  We are going to be very bad for at least a couple of seasons.  We are probably going to have to hire someone similar to DD - someone with a relatively tarnished reputation in the industry who is looking to make a comeback.  

At 50, you give advice, you don't ask for much.  You can always learn from anyone young or old. But having career guidance? No thanks. 

I'm not sure if this interview with Kim Ng has been posted yet. Notice it says Ng is pronounced Ang.

http://www.excellesports.com/news/kim-ng-major-league-baseball/

The below paragraph is from the interview;

Kim Ng is a trailblazer. Since 2011, she’s been Major League Baseball’s senior vice president of baseball operations, working under Joe Torre. When she was hired as the Yankees’ assistant general manager in 1998, she was the youngest in MLB history (at 29) to hold the position and one of only three women. She served the same role with the Dodgers for more than a decade. Before that, she was the youngest person and only woman to present salary arbitration cases. Many believe Ng (pronounced “Ang”) will become the first female general manager in a major sport.

Her role in International relations is very interesting.  I'm okay with her getting the GM job and Colletti or Cherington getting the Presidents job. Below is an interview with Bob Harkins who knows a lot about Ned Colletti. He and Kim could work together again and build a winning new look Oriole team.

https://www.baltimoresportsandlife.com/thoughts-ned-colletti-orioles/

5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Duquette did come here and say we would win, but he had a tremendous amount of talent in the minor leagues - look at how many all-stars were in the system when he came on board.  Duquette also won when the NYY and BoSox were fielding relatively mediocre teams for much of the 2012-16 run - that is not the case now.  Both teams are set up to be 100 game winners for the next two years at least - and likely more and Tampa is IMO a top 10 team for the next three to five years at least.  The Os haven't been in this poor shape in terms of investing internationally since before AM.  Supposedly, there are also technology investments to be made.  And there is an unproven, relative front office novice with no track record who sits between the new GM and ownership.  

It's simply not an attractive position for anyone who would be considered an "up and coming" GM candidate.  

The only benefit is literally starting from scratch and that may be beyond the capacity of a young GM candidate - who would need to build a competitive analytics group probably from scratch, an international organization, and likely overhaul to the front office and warehouse - the ladder is something that hasn't ever been done.  It's a total cluster#### that Peter Angelos and Dan Duquette have left behind.

I think most young GMs with good scouting and player development skills would jump at the O's GM job under r the these conditions:

1) They are given the length of contract it takes to build from the ground up.

2) They have the freedom and money to build a strong farm system with the proper support from a staff  their pick  including scouting (with international) , player development,  and analytics.

3) Access to ownership.  Most confident GMs would think the can out influence anyone else with ownership  given time and access.

4) This would give them a blank slate to build from like the Astros, Cubs and Phillies.   A young strong candidate is looking  for that kind of situation.

5) Being in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox is not ideal but as long as the candidate has the time to build he would probably think he can have his/her team ready when the next down cycle for those teams happens.  

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Let's get a few things straight. There are only a few of these jobs available. If you are a Baseball person then you want one. It really doesn't matter what Division you are in. Either you think you can do the job......or you don't.

Good answer. Pretty much shuts down most debate on this. 

9 hours ago, hoosiers said:

She has interviewed and not been chosen five times already.  Do you think she is in a position to turn a team down?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

She has interviewed and not been chosen five times already.  Do you think she is in a position to turn a team down?

She has a good job already.  She lives in NYC perhaps she would prefer to stay there.  Plenty of reasons to stay at her current job. 

19 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Let's get a few things straight. There are only a few of these jobs available. If you are a Baseball person then you want one. It really doesn't matter what Division you are in. Either you think you can do the job......or you don't.

We got turned down by everyone and their mother last time around.  I think you over-estimate the appeal of being the Orioles GM.  

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

Not really a good answer though.  Should I list everyone who turned down the Orioles job last time around? 

Feel free. It's a good answer in today's environment. And some of your straw men had other jobs promised or in the works.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Feel free. It's a good answer in today's environment. And some of your straw men had other jobs promised or in the works.

You don't understand the meaning of straw man argument.  When everyone who has had a position in baseball for the last 10 years turns you down that is not a straw man argument.  

Here are some guys who turned us down who never got a GM position:

Tony LaCava
DeJon Watson
Mike Radcliff

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

We got turned down by everyone and their mother last time around.  I think you over-estimate the appeal of being the Orioles GM.  

I think this time may be different.  Pete is supposedly out of the picture.  If you are an up and coming baseball person, if you can get the financial commitment from the brothers about building analytics, scouting, international players and player development, etc. then you have what you need to build the next 3 or 4 years and be judged on that. 

When they went through this in 2011, they had not yet hit rock bottom. 

Archived