The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, sevastras said:

I was really expecting something to evolve by today. I was wrong. Looks like it will drag on at least until after the WS, maybe winter meetings. Two ways to look at it, Miami has time to make moves or Os have time to make moves.

-I would be shocked at this point if both Mesas go as a package

-VMjr is probably going to get just as much as Gaston even though a couple months ago it looked like $500k would be plenty

-Gaston may very well just get that $2mm

One thing I find interesting was after the workout, the Marlins had uniforms in lockers with each players name. Only Gaston put his on. The Mesas are playing their hands tight. 

With a grain of salt of course. 

We should have put big foam crab hats on them and had them eating crab cakes while taking an historic clipper cruise in Miami harbor. 

Seriously, this is almost gross: "Hey, Cuban boys... come over here and try on these fancy Miami jerseys -- oh don't you look great in them!" Meanwhile, what's Brady doing? Critiquing the fit on the Miami jerseys? 

I'm starting to think we won't land any of these guys. Hate to say that. Hope I'm wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I'm starting to think we won't land any of these guys. Hate to say that. Hope I'm wrong. 

I think from day 1 when their names first popped up and we was mentioned to be in the market, I gave the odds 50-50.

Part of me felt they was only in, as a PR move to appease the fan base.

But, trading away players and putting themselves in the market and the top dawg with the most money to spend.

I think the odds are more like 75-25.

I know Miami has a vast Cuban history for them, and hard to complete against that, but the team itself stinks and doesn't give them an advantage over another poor team.

But, I dont drink the kool-aid, if we dont get the guys either.

12 hours ago, Sydnor said:
I wonder if there is a team out there interested in trading $750,000 for a 24 year old in the GCL or $1.5 million for two 24 year olds in the GCL? That would get the O’s close.

Orioles Hangout, where dead horses go to be beaten.  Repeatedly.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

O's should offer the "mystery team" their full $6M + allotment  in exchange for one of their  top-15 prospects. Make same offer to Miami. Let them compete against each other. At least with that, O's don't walk away empty handed.

1 minute ago, Whammer said:

O's should offer the "mystery team" their full $6M + allotment  in exchange for one of their  top-15 prospects. Make same offer to Miami. Let them compete against each other. At least with that, O's don't walk away empty handed.

If the other two teams are scrambling for more money.

It sounds like the Orioles might in the lead currently.

Roch and others are still showing 6.7M available for the Birdland team.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If the other two teams are scrambling for more money.

It sounds like the Orioles might in the lead currently.

Roch and others are still showing 6.7M available for the Birdland team.

I really think the O's, with the $6.7M, hold all the cards in this situation. They could offer the whole load to VVM or split it between Jr. and Gaston or trade it for a prospect. If they somehow blow this and walk away empty-handed, I swear I will storm the warehouse with pitchforks and torches.  

7 minutes ago, Whammer said:

I really think the O's, with the $6.7M, hold all the cards in this situation. They could offer the whole load to VVM or split it between Jr. and Gaston or trade it for a prospect. If they somehow blow this and walk away empty-handed, I swear I will storm the warehouse with pitchforks and torches.  

So, is one scenario that Miami makes enough trades for international bonus allocation that it approaches or surpasses the Os amount? What if Miami's final trade—the one that puts them over the top—is with Philadelphia?

Archived