The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Serious question: Is Victor Victor Mesa even going to be that good?

Sounds like the scouts rated his speed at a 65-70 and his raw power at 50.

His last season in the Cuban league he put up a .644 OPS. When playing for the national team his OPS was even lower.

And the MLB scouts are saying his best major league comp is Albert Alomar from the Cubs. He’s a solid player, but not all that, right? In 2018 he had a .701 OPS, little power, 1 stolen base, and a 1.7 rWAR.

What am I missing here? I hope we get Gaston.

I think VVM will be a decent everyday player at some point.

I dont think he will live up to the hype that everybody in OH has been posting about since July.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, weams said:

It needs to be regulated and a draft indeed will occur. No need to put more money into owners pockets?  Well, the pockets it goes into now are not so lovingly wonderful either. There is a better way in this global market to identify talent, I think that  requiring a  age limit to sign, like 17 or 18 will help as well. 

I agree that an 18 year old draft age/signing age should be the minimum.  

If they had a draft they could just increase the total pool of money available in the draft.  It would actually increase the amount of money these guys get overall.  As right now in the draft you can sign anyone for 100k and it doesn't take away from your pool.  I think International signings has lower threshold. 

Whats amazing to me is; I work a full time job, have kids, and spend maybe an hour or two a day thinking about the Orioles, yet i know more about player development, drafting, the international market, free agency, and player evaluation than guys paid millions of dollars to do this for a living! 

10 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Whats amazing to me is; I work a full time job, have kids, and spend maybe an hour or two a day thinking about the Orioles, yet i know more about player development, drafting, the international market, free agency, and player evaluation than guys paid millions of dollars to do this for a living! 

Who has determined this?

8 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Again, I can handle being outbid, but I hate losing out just because someone else has a better location.

Is it just location though? How excited would you be to sign with a team coming off a historically bad season with no VP of Baseball Operations, GM or manager? Add in Baltimore's reputation as a murder capital, with mobs that were allowed to "have space" to destroy property that caused a game to played with no fans, and even as a lifelong Orioles fan I can understand why no would want to come here unless it was about the bottom dollar and the Orioles were willing to give them way more then anyone else.

Maybe a miracle happens and the Orioles somehow land the Mesa brothers, but I just don't see it happening with the Orioles in their current state of flux.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it just location though? How excited would you be to sign with a team coming off a historically bad season with no VP of Baseball Operations, GM or manager? Add in Baltimore's reputation as a murder capital, with mobs that were allowed to "have space" to destroy property that caused a game to played with no fans, and even as a lifelong Orioles fan I can understand why no would want to come here unless it was about the bottom dollar and the Orioles were willing to give them way more then anyone else.

Maybe a miracle happens and the Orioles somehow land the Mesa brothers, but I just don't see it happening with the Orioles in their current state of flux.

If we are at a point where dirt poor players from communist countries turn their nose up at Baltimore... then what chance do we have at signing players with money and other options.....time to move the franchise. 

24 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The Orioles had how many decent everyday players to finish out 2018 again? 

I never said they shouldnt go after him.

Lord knows, they need decent players.

I just think, we are so over hype on VVM being the saviour for this lousy team, that we are setting ourselves up for a letdown.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony-OH, I know you know way more about sports than I.

But, this crap about Baltimore being a murder capital is over the top.

Hell, look at Chicago, they have more murders, but since they have more people, it lowers the ratio.

Wait, look at Florence SC, they just had a cop killed and 6 or 7 others shot.

Todays society is too many guns in the wrong hands, and lets go shoot somebody.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Certainly the current state of the O's franchise is not good and Baltimore is not exactly enticing as a city to play in, especially if you are Latino (not a big Latino community around here).  The reason the Mesa brothers will not be Orioles is going to come down to money.  It looked really good a few months ago when the Orioles had significantly more money available than any other team to sign the Mesa's.  Then the O's gave away $750K for an old rookie league firstbasemen and the Marlins went out and acquired about $2 million more.  The advantage the O's had is gone and so is the opportunity.  Credit to the Marlins for some deft maneuvering.  The Zollner trade probably does not matter in the signing once the Marlins got more cash.

Even with the Mesa's only being solid prospects, signing them would have been a nice PR boost for the O's.  Now the Marlins will get the PR boost. 

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Tony-OH, I know you know way more about sports than I.

But, this crap about Baltimore being a murder capital is over the top.

Hell, look at Chicago, they have more murders, but since they have more people, it lowers the ratio.

Wait, look at Florence SC, they just had a cop killed and 6 or 7 others shot.

Todays society is too many guns in the wrong hands, and lets go shoot somebody.

Chicago did not have to play a game in an empty stadium because of the threats of riots (actually they did, they were the visiting team).  Nor did a Chicago team have a game where the fans could not leave because of riots outside the stadium.  That is a lot to live down.

4 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

Chicago did not have to play a game in an empty stadium because of the threats of riots (actually they did, they were the visiting team).  Nor did a Chicago team have a game where the fans could not leave because of riots outside the stadium.  That is a lot to live down.

That was three years ago and it only lasted a few days. I'm also fairly certain there was no actual rioting near the stadium. 

16 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Well, reading most posts on this board, you wold think the majority of people here have that belief. 

I believe that  I am less able to be a MLB executive than any MLB executive. I believe some MLB executives are better than others. The Orioles currently have only Brian Graham who is believed to be a good if not great MLB executive. 

9 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

How many people have been killed in the parking lot at OPACY and ballgames, ZIP

LA and San Fran have, yet, the fans continue to attend games there.

Archived