Sandy Gaston (Orioles miss out)

scOtt

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

So far, the John/Lou Angelos regime has shown a willingness to dump payroll and an ability to maintain near-secrecy about interviews of candidates to run the team (I'm assuming that they are interviewing). That's about all they've shown. We still don't know whether they'll spend money where spending is badly needed, let alone spend it wisely.

100% on point...

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I actually think the sons are worse than their father.  Peter had plenty of faults but at least he wasn't trying to squeeze every cent out of the franchise which appears to be the sons plan.  

In addition love him or hate him PA built up his law firm from scratch

The sons have achieved nothing but being PA's sons. They have no business experience, really no work experience

Pray that they sell the team ASAP!

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

So far, the John/Lou Angelos regime has shown a willingness to dump payroll and an ability to maintain near-secrecy about interviews of candidates to run the team (I'm assuming that they are interviewing). That's about all they've shown. We still don't know whether they'll spend money where spending is badly needed, let alone spend it wisely.

My concern is they know or have a good idea that maybe they won't be allowed or can afford the estate taxes to own the Orioles.  In the end having a new owner can be a good thing for all of us but this limbo they are in may last a long time.  They may have take the stance that they will spend the least amount of money possible until the time those things are settled.  Who knows when these issues will be settled? Flashbacks of the Baltimore Colts are streaming in my head where the idiot owner ran the team to the ground and eroded the fan base to the point that moving the team was his best option.  The situation is not the same with Camden Yards over an antiquated Memorial Stadium but this could drag out beyond the current lease expiration.  Then the taxpayers will be held hostage against the Montreal's etc. offering better deals to a potential new owner.  I really never took seriously that the Orioles would ever move but this situation could be the perfect storm.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Dumping money is fine. It's the dumping good trade chips to get rid of that money that's worrisome. Will they give away Givens next to get rid of Trumbo?

The fastest way for this team to have a rebuild was to trade the good veterans for the maximum young talent you can get. Gausman was our 2nd best trade chip. And they gave him away for basically nothing. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Dumping money is fine. It's the dumping good trade chips to get rid of that money that's worrisome. Will they give away Givens next to get rid of Trumbo?

The fastest way for this team to have a rebuild was to trade the good veterans for the maximum young talent you can get. Gausman was our 2nd best trade chip. And they gave him away for basically nothing. 

Accumulating talent doesn't seem to be a concern.

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

The Orioles front office are a bunch of LARPers, with Brady Anderson the biggest LARPer of them all.  Don't need to look much further than this utter disgrace with the international slot money.  

Live action role players? What does this mean in this context?

Just now, dorfmac said:

I have to read everything, but now that we’ve missed out on these three, what purpose does this international money serve? Does it carry over to next year or do we just basically lose it?

Duquette apparently had a plan to acquire international players, and now that he is gone there is no plan until the new GM is hired.  ?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Duquette apparently had a plan to acquire international players, and now that he is gone there is no plan until the new GM is hired.  ?‍♂️

So if Duquette was still around, would we have signed any/all of these players or do other Hangouters feel like it was a "no" all along?  

My opinion.....we had a plan (monetarily) but couldn't close the deal on the Mesa's because we had an O's contingency but no leader - no decision person.  It looks bad.  Also, without having "the person" in place, we probably don't have the best group to make the best decision.  Decisions by committee take too much time and can be perceived as not being as interested.

Not sure what to say about Gaston.  We should have thrown as much $ as necessary to get him - if nothing else, just to make a statement to fans that the organization is following through on its commitment to the international market. 

6 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

So if Duquette was still around, would we have signed any/all of these players or do other Hangouters feel like it was a "no" all along?  

My opinion.....we had a plan (monetarily) but couldn't close the deal on the Mesa's because we had an O's contingency but no leader - no decision person.  It looks bad.  Also, without having "the person" in place, we probably don't have the best group to make the best decision.  Decisions by committee take too much time and can be perceived as not being as interested.

Not sure what to say about Gaston.  We should have thrown as much $ as necessary to get him - if nothing else, just to make a statement to fans that the organization is following through on its commitment to the international market. 

From what I have seen the Orioles were not interested in paying as much as the big market Rays and Marlins for these players.

This goes right back to the idea that Dan traded that 750K in slot money because he was told they wouldn't be spending the full allotment.

It doesn't look as if the O's are not interested in spending as much money as literally every other team in baseball to accumulate international talent.

Archived