TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

The issue with not naming a team President, GM, etc is that the O's have Brian Graham making the baseball decisions.  If they wanted Brian Graham to be the team President or GM, they would have named him to the position already.  It is quite possible that decisions Graham is making are not decisions the eventual President or GM would have made. 

Just disagree.  Not one decision made by Graham has a long-term effect.  He's cleared space on the 40 man roster for the 4 players on the 60 day DL.  Were any of those momentous decisions?  No.  He decided not to give Adam Jones a Qualifying Offer.  Would any new Pres/GM have given a QO to Jones?  No.  He got ride of some minor league coaches.  Were any of the guys let go keys to the future of this club?  I dare you to mention one guy let go that will cause anyone to lose a minute of sleep.  Graham is in charge of housekeeping until a new Pres/GM is hired.  That's all.

I wanted someone hired by this week's GM meetings.  But, it's not the end of the world.  Unlike Corn (not a dig, just a difference of opinion), I think there will be plenty of people available to be the fielding coach in Frederick or the pitching coach in Aberdeen.  And, the new guy could decide to evaluate those in place for a year before he starts replacing them.

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course.  

The fact that Tampa can create winners with a far lesser payroll than what the Orioles are capable of is infuriating.  

How many World Series has Tampa won?  Playoff appearances since 2012?

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Just disagree.  Not one decision made by Graham has a long-term effect.  He's cleared space on the 40 man roster for the 4 players on the 60 day DL.  Were any of those momentous decisions?  No.  He decided not to give Adam Jones a Qualifying Offer.  Would any new Pres/GM have given a QO to Jones?  No.  He got ride of some minor league coaches.  Were any of the guys let go keys to the future of this club?  I dare you to mention one guy let go that will cause anyone to lose a minute of sleep.  Graham is in charge of housekeeping until a new Pres/GM is hired.  That's all.

I wanted someone hired by this week's GM meetings.  But, it's not the end of the world.  Unlike Corn (not a dig, just a difference of opinion), I think there will be plenty of people available to be the fielding coach in Frederick or the pitching coach in Aberdeen.  And, the new guy could decide to evaluate those in place for a year before he starts replacing them.

Nice post and I agree.

The doom and gloomers have an agenda and its getting old.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How many World Series has Tampa won?  Playoff appearances since 2012?

Well, if we're going to play that game...one.   But since 2008?  Four.   Including one trip to the World Series.  See?  I can cherrypick arbitrary start dates, too.

I played your game, let's see if you can play mine.  Would you trade the Orioles franchise for what Tampa has?  I'm talking about front office members, farm system, current 40 and 25 man rosters.  

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No we're not.  Just stop it.  

I mean, if you're saying we're not Chicago, Boston, LA or NY, well then yeah.  But this team has shown it can be a top 10 payroll.  If you can afford top 10 payroll for any stretch, you are not small market.  Tampa is a small market, yet they can make winners.

An MLB  team's financial capacity to compete is not necessarily  reflected in its major league payroll. The Orioles, under the "leadership" of Peter ("What's the use of spending to build a team that might win in a future that I won't be around to see? I want to get to the World Series now.") Angelos directed in recent years a disproportionate amount of the team's spending -- maybe more than any other MLB team -- to ML payroll, necessarily skimping on pretty much everything else. Comparing ML payrolls creates the illusion that the Orioles had more to spend than they did. (And what a team has spent to improve its team in a given year depends on morev than what it spends in that year. The millions of dollars that, say, the Yankees spent in Latin America in 2014 should help make its team better in 2019 by more than the much smaller amount that the money spent in Latin America.) 

It's my belief that, if you want to compare MLB teams' markets, you should look at how much revenue each team brings in over a period of a few years and how much of that revenue (or in a few cases how much more than that revenue) a team spends. The problem is that it's easy to look up teams' payroll figure and compare them, but much more difficult to try to figure out what they bring and spend to compete.

If you compare teams' revenues and expenditures -- and I've tried to -- the Orioles are somewhere in the lower part of the middle third of MLB teams, probably somewhere around 18th to 20th, in "market size" (a misleading term, IMO). The uncertainty of the Orioles' total take from MASN complicates that further.  But the Orioles are not a top-ten revenue team. It's hard to get to the postseason when there are two teams in your division that in every year bring in a lot more money than you do and spend it more intelligently than you do.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well considering you're just cooler than everyone else, yeah.  You would have lower expectations.

It bothers the living $%*% out of me.  I don't want to be one of those jerkoff Cubs or Red Sox fans that's crying that they haven't seen a WS winner for their entire lives.  While I agree with your sentiment about having 30 teams and expecting a lot of them to go significant amounts of time without a title, we're not the San Diego Padres.  I mean, WE ARE the San Diego Padres in terms of mismanagement but we shouldn't be.  

I don't buy the small market crap.  This franchise has shown to have resources and while they can't spend like the Sox and Yankees, they also don't have their hat in their hand at all times, either.  They have shown that they can be a top 10 payroll team.  They have shown that they can spend a big chunk of money for a player (albeit the wrong one).  

I do feel that way about Terp Basketball.  I think they should be top 25 most years and maybe an NIT team once a decade.

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, if we're going to play that game...one.   But since 2008?  Four.   Including one trip to the World Series.  See?  I can cherrypick arbitrary start dates, too.

I played your game, let's see if you can play mine.  Would you trade the Orioles franchise for what Tampa has?  I'm talking about front office members, farm system, current 40 and 25 man rosters.  

You are right, I cherry picked time.  And, you're right, I would love to trade teams with TB now.  But, I'm sure that I wouldn't have in 2014, so you cherry picked time, too!  My only point was that the Orioles have not been without success in the recent past.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll remind you that my George Mason Patriots have exactly one more Final Four appearance since 2005 than the Twerps do.  :)

Well, if we're going to play that game...go back to 2001 and the Terps have two Final Four appearances and one National Championship. ?

Archived