TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

If they're using this process to get a feel for "modernizing" they're more screwed than I thought.  It means they're so far removed from "modernizing" that they really have no idea what's up.  If they don't know what "modernizing" means, they can't be making the best decision because they don't know what they're looking at.  

Seriously, just make a decision.  Pick one, give them a budget and GTFO of the way.  And then work your ass off to try to rebuild some of the goodwill your dad pissed down the toilet over the past 25 years.

"Hey, Mr. Candidate. Can you please tell us how a major league franchise should be run and how its front office should be organized? The only team we know anything about is our father's Orioles, so we don't have a clue."

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If they're using this process to get a feel for "modernizing" they're more screwed than I thought.  It means they're so far removed from "modernizing" that they really have no idea what's up.  If they don't know what "modernizing" means, they can't be making the best decision because they don't know what they're looking at.  

Seriously, just make a decision.  Pick one, give them a budget and GTFO of the way.  And then work your ass off to try to rebuild some of the goodwill your dad pissed down the toilet over the past 25 years.

Like it or not, it may be the only option they have. I'd prefer them not just pick someone and get on with it. I'd lie it to be someone good. And a lot of teams have guys who aren't good. 

You could end up with an  A.J. Preller and tank the whole rebuild. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Like it or not, it may be the only option they have. I'd prefer them not just pick someone and get on with it. I'd lie it to be someone good. And a lot of teams have guys who aren't good. 

You could end up with an  A.J. Preller and tank the whole rebuild. 

Or worse, a John Coppolella or Bobby Bowden - John Hart. 

FROM MLBTR:

• Astros assistant GM Mike Elias is seen as a top potential candidate to run things in Baltimore, per MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (via Twitter). He was boosted to an AGM role under Jeff Luhnow after David Stearns left Houston to run the Brewers’ baseball ops department. Elias is said to focus on player intake, including the draft and international amateur market.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Maybe this is a small thing, but the O’s website hasn’t been updated to reflect the recent departures from the organization.    Seems kind’ve bush league.   https://www.mlb.com/orioles/team/front-office

Shocking!

Maybe the employees who had access to making changes on the website have been dismissed and not replaced.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It sounds like amateur hour to me...

If they are calling in interviewees to merely pick their brains about what other clubs are doing, I think I'd be a little put off if I were one of the interviewees.  I mean, what it amounts to is these guys are consulting and not being paid for it under the guise of being interviewed. 

13 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

If they are calling in interviewees to merely pick their brains about what other clubs are doing, I think I'd be a little put off if I were one of the interviewees.  I mean, what it amounts to is these guys are consulting and not being paid for it under the guise of being interviewed. 

Perfectly valid interview question to ask.  I'd imagine that the interviewers would frame it as such.  Something like:

"I'm sure you're aware that our organization is looking to do a complete rebuild.  We are seeking to be 'best in class'.  With that goal in mind, how would you go about completely rebuilding an organization assuming you had $M in resources.  What would you prioritize and why?"

You could assume that an interviewee is going to give you an answer based on his recent experience but it also gives AngelBros insight into this person's vision and highlight the candidates' differences in how they would build a modern baseball organization.

8 minutes ago, OregonBird said:

Perfectly valid interview question to ask.  I'd imagine that the interviewers would frame it as such.  Something like:

"I'm sure you're aware that our organization is looking to do a complete rebuild.  We are seeking to be 'best in class'.  With that goal in mind, how would you go about completely rebuilding an organization assuming you had $M in resources.  What would you prioritize and why?"

You could assume that an interviewee is going to give you an answer based on his recent experience but it also gives AngelBros insight into this person's vision and highlight the candidates' differences in how they would build a modern baseball organization.

Fair enough. 

On 11/5/2018 at 10:44 AM, spiritof66 said:

There's no question that the most important part of the AngelBros' immediate task is to find a really good President who can head up a rebuild of both the front office and the roster, and that they should take the time that's required to get that choice as right as they can, and to convince that person to take the job. But there is some urgency to getting a President in place, given the number and importance of the decisions that lie ahead for that person (many of which, I am confident, the AngelBros will have to approve even if they don't participate in them).

What's also important, in my opinion, is that the AngelBros show the world -- the media, other teams, potential hires as the team's GM, manager and on down the line, the hard-core fans who post on this board, casual Oriole fans (and former Oriole fans) -- that the team has taken a real turn in the direction of competence, both in the way its front office operates (free of interference from the owner, among other things) and in deciding to direct resources to the future of the franchise by increasing significantly its spending on building its international profile and talent base, upgrading its analytics capacity, and improving the scouting function.

Duquette made his announcement that the team would move in that new direction almost four months ago. So far, the AngelBros have shown they can cut payroll and fire personnel, but there's no record yet on hiring or on investing or building of any kind -- unless you count the failed venture of trading for international spending capacity and then failing to sign any of the Miami Three, or the signings of a few lower-priced Latin American players.

The slow pace at which the Orioles are moving to hire a President has confirmed to many observers that the team is still wracked by the incompetence and indecisiveness that Peter Angelos made its calling card. It suggests that the Orioles waited until late in the failed 2018 season to decide to dump Duquette, and that they did little or nothing over the summer to think through who they wanted to consider as President, do some due diligence on them, and interview any candidates who were available (other than maybe Colletti). Their continued adherence to the Angelos code of silence with respect to this process suggests that they are no different from their father in their determination to do things their way, without giving a rat's ass about what the media, their past, present or future fans, or anyone else would like to know about what's going on.

Can the AngelBros make it up, and show that they do know what they're doing and that the team is going to be run differently and competently? That's possible, and they can start by making  a great hire as President, moving quickly to bring on a capable and respected GM and manager, etc., etc. But they're not off to an auspicious start, and they don't seem to care. 

Great post...

On 11/5/2018 at 10:44 AM, spiritof66 said:

The slow pace at which the Orioles are moving to hire a President has confirmed to many observers that the team is still wracked by the incompetence and indecisiveness that Peter Angelos made its calling card. It suggests that the Orioles waited until late in the failed 2018 season to decide to dump Duquette, and that they did little or nothing over the summer to think through who they wanted to consider as President, do some due diligence on them, and interview any candidates who were available (other than maybe Colletti).

Overall, a good post, but the above is where I take exception.  What "many" observers call a slow pace, others may call being thorough.  Yesterday, I talked about a process that has to be followed in order for the interviews to take place; permission has to be obtained, and teams weren't giving that until after the season.  According to Meoli, seven candidates have been interviewed since mid-October.  I guess for some, there would be comfort in hiring Ned Colletti last summer and being done with it.  That would be decisive, right? 

As for me, I think they can do better.   IF the local beat is correct, the position they are trying to fill is much broader and more responsible than where the Orioles were seven years ago.  With only one similar opening in MLB, I fail to see the urgency that it must be done yesterday, or this week, as opposed to next week.   Get it right.  

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Such is the life of contract workers looking for a job (or promotion elsewhere).  A prospective employer has a right to know what you're selling and he has the right to call you back for follow-up and clarification.  After that send an invoice at full rate.

I agree with TonySoprano.  However, as spiritof66 says above, the idea that the team is wracked by incompetence and indecisiveness is there for many until something is done to change it.  I do agree that the process is moving and I hope it is thorough.  But the Orioles under Angelos have earned their reputation so I get the impatience.  But I am not in a hurry.  Results.  

All we are saying, is give p̶e̶a̶c̶e̶ process a chance.....

Archived