TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

16 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Overall, a good post, but the above is where I take exception.  What "many" observers call a slow pace, others may call being thorough.  Yesterday, I talked about a process that has to be followed in order for the interviews to take place; permission has to be obtained, and teams weren't giving that until after the season.  According to Meoli, seven candidates have been interviewed since mid-October.  I guess for some, there would be comfort in hiring Ned Colletti last summer and being done with it.  That would be decisive, right? 

As for me, I think they can do better.   IF the local beat is correct, the position they are trying to fill is much broader and more responsible than where the Orioles were seven years ago.  With only one similar opening in MLB, I fail to see the urgency that it must be done yesterday, or this week, as opposed to next week.   Get it right.  

Completely agree.

Although I want things done asap and it would be more ideal, this hire is so important. Don't rush it to appease us. If the reports are true about how we are changing the way of doing things and are just being thorough on getting the right guy, theres nothing wrong with what we're doing. I'd much rather take longer and get the right guy than make a swift move and be looking for this next guys replacement a few years down the line/find out we made the wrong hire.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Overall, a good post, but the above is where I take exception.  What "many" observers call a slow pace, others may call being thorough.  Yesterday, I talked about a process that has to be followed in order for the interviews to take place; permission has to be obtained, and teams weren't giving that until after the season.  According to Meoli, seven candidates have been interviewed since mid-October.  I guess for some, there would be comfort in hiring Ned Colletti last summer and being done with it.  That would be decisive, right? 

As for me, I think they can do better.   IF the local beat is correct, the position they are trying to fill is much broader and more responsible than where the Orioles were seven years ago.  With only one similar opening in MLB, I fail to see the urgency that it must be done yesterday, or this week, as opposed to next week.   Get it right.  

I wasn't talking about my own assessment, though. I was talking about what I've read in the national (and New York) media. I estimate I've seen a dozen snide comments to the effect of "The Orioles' inability to decide on and hire a GM or a manager shows once again that they are a clueless organization." A week ago, I quoted one of them, from Ken Davidoff of the NY Post: "The Giants still need a general manager; it could be Mets runner-up Chaim Bloom of the Rays. The Rangers still need a manager; they’ve already eliminated Joe Girardi. And the Orioles still need both, although it’s not clear they know that."

My point was that an organization that has very little respect and credibility with any audience, but took some forward steps this summer, apparently doesn't care that it is undermining that small bit of progress once again by moving so slowly and secretly.

FWIW, I don't think Colletti would be the best guy to preside over a rebuilding effort.

8 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Completely agree.

Although I want things done asap and it would be more ideal, this hire is so important. Don't rush it to appease us. If the reports are true about how we are changing the way of doing things and are just being thorough on getting the right guy, theres nothing wrong with what we're doing. I'd much rather take longer and get the right guy than make a swift move and be looking for this next guys replacement a few years down the line/find out we made the wrong hire.

This season means nothing anyway. So I'd hope that the Orioles can select a president that will guide the team through to the next contending event.

Time is not relevant, to me at least. And to those complaining about disfunction?

Of course. No one works there in baseball ops anymore.

The Os need a brand new squad and since there are 30 of these jobs at each level in the world, there are plenty of competent, if not name droppable, people to fill them available. At any time during the year. 

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I wasn't talking about my own assessment, though. I was talking about what I've read in the national (and New York) media. I estimate I've seen a dozen snide comments to the effect of "The Orioles' inability to decide on and hire a GM or a manager shows once again that they are a clueless organization." A week ago, I quoted one of them, from Ken Davidoff of the NY Post: "The Giants still need a general manager; it could be Mets runner-up Chaim Bloom of the Rays. The Rangers still need a manager; they’ve already eliminated Joe Girardi. And the Orioles still need both, although it’s not clear they know that."

My point was that an organization that has very little respect and credibility with any audience, but took some forward steps this summer, apparently doesn't care that it is undermining that small bit of progress once again by moving so slowly and secretly.

FWIW, I don't think Colletti would be the best guy to preside over a rebuilding effort.

I'd be thrilled with Colletti. 

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Davidoff was being a lazy writer.  He has zero insight into things Baltimore. 

If the brothers want to be thorough about things they should go interview the owners of successful baseball organizations.  How did they go about finding the best people? What is a good top management structure?  Which things  should owners have input on and which not? How would they settle the MASN disupte? I am not sure working under their father was the best developmental environment for becoming a successful owner.

10 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Davidoff was being a lazy writer.  He has zero insight into things Baltimore. 

I'm sure the second part of that is true. But again, I was trying to point out the potential effect of the Orioles' slow search on fans, the media, other teams, potential hires, etc., many of whom have a limited knowledge of what's on. What they do see is that baseball's worst team (and a party to MLB's worst player contract), frequently coupled with  "laughingstock" not long ago, took forever to get rid of its GM and manager and is the only team that doesn't seem to be making progress in bringing in replacements for a rudderless ship.

Making great hiring decisions and getting talented people to join the Orioles are, by far, the most important thing here. But perceptions of the process aren't helping a team that has serious image problems.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm sure the second part of that is true. But again, I was trying to point out the potential effect of the Orioles' slow search on fans, the media, other teams, potential hires, etc., many of whom have a limited knowledge of what's on. What they do see is that baseball's worst team (and a party to MLB's worst player contract), frequently coupled with  "laughingstock" not long ago, took forever to get rid of its GM and manager and is the only team that doesn't seem to be making progress in bringing in replacements for a rudderless ship.

As I’ve said before, the media takeaway in 2011 was one candidate turned down the Orioles offer and they hired a guy who was out of baseball for 10 years.  Then the team went to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years.  I don’t give a damn what the media thinks and certainly I wouldn’t have them enter into the decision process. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Like it or not, it may be the only option they have. I'd prefer them not just pick someone and get on with it. I'd lie it to be someone good. And a lot of teams have guys who aren't good. 

You could end up with an  A.J. Preller and tank the whole rebuild. 

I agree with you, but too many posters are impatient and want them to hire the first breathing body not named Brady.

If they do this right, it might very well give them a solid 10 year run, not counting the rebuild time.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

As I’ve said before, the media takeaway in 2011 was one candidate turned down the Orioles offer and they hired a guy who was out of baseball for 10 years.  Then the team went to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years.  I don’t give a damn what the media thinks and certainly I wouldn’t have them enter into the decision process. 

AMEN,.

I agree and I dont care how impatient come posters are and what they believe.

59 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

At this point, it probably doesn't matter, but the Astros have been finished with their season for almost 3 weeks now and others for five weeks. I'm glad they are being thorough, but it doesn't change the fact that they should not have waited so long to make a decision and they should be more open to their fans with their process in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree with you, but too many posters are impatient and want them to hire the first breathing body not named Brady.

If they do this right, it might very well give them a solid 10 year run, not counting the rebuild time.

I don't believe this to be the truth. Honestly, if the Angelos brothers were just more forthcoming to the public with there process there would be a lot less concern. The veil of secrecy behind how they are doing things is what is bothersome to most. I don't think anyone just wants to hire a warm body not named Brady Anderson.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't believe this to be the truth. Honestly, if the Angelos brothers were just more forthcoming to the public with there process there would be a lot less concern. The veil of secrecy behind how they are doing things is what is bothersome to most. I don't think anyone just wants to hire a warm body not named Brady Anderson.

I dont want to call out posters by name. But, there are a few on this site, that have been screaming for them to hire somebody since the decision was made to not retain Buck and DD.

I do wish the Angelos brothers would be more forthcoming, not sure even if they was, it was satisfy some.

24 minutes ago, weams said:

This season means nothing anyway. So I'd hope that the Orioles can select a president that will guide the team through to the next contending event.

Time is not relevant, to me at least. And to those complaining about disfunction?

Of course. No one works there in baseball ops anymore.

The Os need a brand new squad and since there are 30 of these jobs at each level in the world, there are plenty of competent, if not name droppable, people to fill them available. At any time during the year. 

While I think I agree with the gist of what you say here, nothing and I mean nothing could be further from the truth.  Yes, the Orioles are going to loose a bucket load of games and the record will be abysmal as will for the most part the product on the field for the entire season.

But this season means everything to this organization and it cannot be stated more clearly.  2019 MUST embark on a new path.  Not a different flavor of suckitude.  But a level setting and foundational departure from where this ownership has traveled for roughly a quarter century.  I'll go so far as to say that this season will determine the next 15 years of the franchise.  I really don't care how long it takes as long as they get it right.  I don't care who is hired to run it as long as they are allowed to run it.  But the franchise is a mere shell of what it was, and one of the best parks in the game is no longer good enough to prop it up.  And it isn't the general fans and it is certainly not those of us here who are more hard core that have these expectations.  MLB itself, I believe, is watching and will certainly have a chance to weigh in at the proper time.  You don't just hand off the keys to a limited edition and let anyone drive it.  Who controls the franchise after PA, will do so with the approval of MLB.

No, this season is the most important season perhaps in franchise history.  And I am ok that it moves slow and deliberate.  But make no mistake, the clock is definitely ticking, the toll of the bell is imminent.  Good luck Brothers Angelos...don't mess up.

Archived