TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Quite possibly, their contracts expire 10/31 and a decision had to be made.   I think that’s common among front office jobs in baseball.    And the O’s would rather let the new top guys hire their own people than saddle them with holdovers for a year.   

Sure. Like I said if this just the ones with expiring deals. 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, SteveA said:

There was some talk somewhere last weekend that the #1 guy had been chosen and that now hey were working on him hiring a GM, and that they would announce both at the same time.   So I suppose it's POSSIBLE that there is already someone in there pulling the strings.

It is also possible that "not bringing them back," means that those guys might have chosen to leave on their own if given that option or if they had that option contractually.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I could understand anyone not wanting to come back to this organization...

With a season like ours, I would have expected some real communication from the franchise.  Yet I don't really expect a lot under normal circumstances.  But I think we are finding out that the tight-lipped aspect of the club is going to continue, until, as we've seen in the past, talking serves some agenda internally.  I would love to be Ant Man so I could observe what goes on behind those doors of the warehouse. 

4 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

It is also possible that "not bringing them back," means that those guys might have chosen to leave on their own if given that option or if they had that option contractually.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I could understand anyone not wanting to come back to this organization...

With a season like ours, I would have expected some real communication from the franchise.  Yet I don't really expect a lot under normal circumstances.  But I think we are finding out that the tight-lipped aspect of the club is going to continue, until, as we've seen in the past, talking serves some agenda internally.  I would love to be Ant Man so I could observe what goes on behind those doors of the warehouse. 

I don't think many minor league managers choose unemployment.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone that needs a paycheck.

Unless he has a lead on a ML bench coach job odds are good he's in for a pay cut.

Sorry, we'll have to just disagree.  If you're good and you know it, there's a place for you...and you go.  Plus, who would leave a job without lining something up or knowing you have something lined up?  No one.  Choosing to go sort of implies you have somewhere to go...

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Sorry, we'll have to just disagree.  If you're good and you know it, there's a place for you...and you go.  Plus, who would leave a job without lining something up or knowing you have something lined up?  No one.  Choosing to go sort of implies you have somewhere to go...

I'm pretty sure you can't talk to other teams about jobs while you are under contract.

So you are saying Johnson went behind his employers back and broke league rules?  Bit of an accusation there.

I have also known a LOT of people over my life who have quit jobs without having something else lined up.  Dozens of people.  I know that doesn't support my point but let's be honest here, folks don't always plan ahead.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty sure you can't talk to other teams about jobs while you are under contract.

So you are saying Johnson went behind his employers back and broke league rules?  Bit of an accusation there.

I have also known a LOT of people over my life who have quit jobs without having something else lined up.  Dozens of people.  I know that doesn't support my point but let's be honest here, folks don't always plan ahead.

Your friends who worked at  chick fila are not comparable to a triple A manager.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From my original post above...

It is also possible that "not bringing them back," means that those guys might have chosen to leave on their own if given that option or if they had that option contractually. 

Maybe take just a second or two to actually read a post before responding...

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

From my original post above...

It is also possible that "not bringing them back," means that those guys might have chosen to leave on their own if given that option or if they had that option contractually. 

Maybe take just a second or two to actually read a post before responding...

I did read.  You are suggesting it is possible that Johnson, and the others, walked.

That is what this whole exchange has been about.

That doesn't mean they can talk to other teams about openings while they are still working for the O's.  Unless of course you mean the O's gave them permission, which if you did, you should have specified.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I did read.  You are suggesting it is possible that Johnson, and the others, walked.

That is what this whole exchange has been about.

That doesn't mean they can talk to other teams about openings while they are still working for the O's.  Unless of course you mean the O's gave them permission, which if you did, you should have specified.

Whatever you say, CoC.  You take it how ever you wish.  Goodness. 

did specify... means that those guys might have chosen to leave on their own if given that option or if they had that option contractually. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't my take.

If you are under contract for a team you can't talk to other teams about jobs without your current employer's permission.

I'm at a loss as to how stating: given the option or having the option contractually can be misunderstood.  I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse or overly sensitive semantically.

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I'm at a loss as to how stating: given the option or having the option contractually can be misunderstood.  I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse or overly sensitive semantically.

It would be very rare for a AAA manager to voluntarily step down from that position.

It is much more likely that he was let go instead of choosing to leave.

So if they are given the choice to leave, I feel that the vast majority of the time they would stay.

What's the advantage to him leaving?  How does the quality of the ML team matter to a minor league manager?  What are the odds of him being able to secure a superior or even equivalent position elsewhere?  It is not as if he's some hot commodity.

Archived