TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry Frobby, I disagree completely. Good owners don't just put out a simple statement and then disappear. Maybe you and others have been groomed into thinking this is how ownership works after so many years with Angelos, but the Angelos brothers had a great opportunity to show they are different then their father. they have failed miserably at doing so.

I'm starting to wonder about the theory that even they don't really know who is in charge or even if the team is in the process of being sold (we can all dream right?). 

Regardless, they have failed their fans and the people that work for them wit this deafening silence.

As a wise man who owns this site once said, “actions speak louder than words.”   Honestly, there is nothing the Angelos family could say right now that would mean a lot to me.

Living in the DC suburbs, I don’t see the Lerners making public statements about the state of their team, ever.     I don’t know that ownership “state of the team” comments are a frequent occurrence anywhere.    But maybe I’m wrong, I don’t follow what other owners do.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I guess I think differently about why you communicate with your customers.  You are not trying to "change peoples ideas."   You are trying to build interest in your product.  And whether we agree or disagree with whatever moves are made, all fans want MORE information.   I do not see marketing as putting out information to ask fans what to do...I see it as keeping your product viable.   Us pessimists have bought lots of tickets over the years too...lol. 

This is exactly how I see it.  When your only product is complete garbage, you need to do something to convince your customers that you are worth investing in going forward.  It is not at all hard to communicate....appear in places and simply open your mouth.  You do not have to reveal your secrets, but you do need to be a presence of some sort.  We the customers are what matters....we will always be what matters.  Marketing permeates every aspect of a business and it should never, ever stop. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As a wise man who owns this site once said, “actions speak louder than words.”   Honestly, there is nothing the Angelos family could say right now that would mean a lot to me.

Living in the DC suburbs, I don’t see the Lerners making public statements about the state of their team, ever.     I don’t know that ownership “state of the team” comments are a frequent occurrence anywhere.    But maybe I’m wrong, I don’t follow what other owners do.

The Lerners aren't in what seems to be a constant state of confusion. They have had a stable FO and a GM that is allowed to run the team and doesn't have to answer to his manager and an ex-player who's role has never been truly defined.

They don't have much to explain. The Orioles on the other hand.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I guess I think differently about why you communicate with your customers.  You are not trying to "change peoples ideas."   You are trying to build interest in your product.  And whether we agree or disagree with whatever moves are made, all fans want MORE information.   I do not see marketing as putting out information to ask fans what to do...I see it as keeping your product viable.   Us pessimists have bought lots of tickets over the years too...lol. 

This is big part of what people are missing here. There are always going to be fans that think the Orioles can do no wrong and there is some extraordinary puppet master in control and we just don't know about him. That behind the scenes all is well and the fact that ownership has not had press conference in gheese, I don't know when, is par for the course because that's what they've been groomed for under the Angelos regime.

Good owners/CEOs communicate to their fans/customers. They don't make major changes and then put out very generic press release and then go back into hiding while major changes need to happen. Tell me one successful business that fires their leadership team then goes in secrecy for a month?

The Angelos brothers are communicating with the fans exactly how their father did. Peter Angelos just never cared enough about the fans to worry about communicating with them. It appears by their actions over the last year, the Angelos brothers intend to operate in the same way and that's disappointing.

I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt that they could be different, but their silence this entire year during this debacle tells me either they don't have control, or they are apples that did fall far from the tree. 

Let's face it, the Orioles 47-115 record is embarrassing. Strong leaders would have called a press conferences, announced the firing of Duquette and Buck, and then told their fans their were in the middle of exhaustive approach to find the best baseball operations people to bring this team back to winning ways. 

They do that, and we all feel better that things are in motion. Maybe some people don't believe they need to do that, but that's short sighted in my opinion and not the way to run a professional sports franchise.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Executives speak when necessary. They eventually need to give an update to their base so as to instill some confidence for future season ticket holders, but it's far too early to sound any sirens or being an alarmist just because they're not giving an update every single step of the way. We saw that Buck and Duquette weren't brought back. We saw that they're going to hire multiple high level executives outside the organization. And that's enough for me and should be enough for everybody until it goes too long. It hasn't been too long right now. 

12 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

The Lerners aren't in what seems to be a constant state of confusion. They have had a stable FO and a GM that is allowed to run the team and doesn't have to answer to his manager and an ex-player who's role has never been truly defined.

They don't have much to explain. The Orioles on the other hand.

An organization coming off it’s worst season in team history should at least have the self awareness to reassure the fan base that they have a plan to fix the franchise.

And a press release sent to the media doesn’t count.  One press conference on television/radio would have been more than enough and the Angelos brothers can’t even do that. 

19 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Duquette's problem is he leaked *and* he was awkward as all get out. His theatrics during the Dexter Fowler debacle spoke volumes. That wasn't Buck.

My point is the organization came out and said they're looking for executives outside the organization...and for multiple. They don't owe anybody anything at this point. It's still early. It's during the World Series. It'd be different if it was February. It's not.

I'm not being dense and I don't think that was called for. But then again, it's just Tony being Tony.

Sorry man, if you are going to be dense, I'm going to call you dense.  You refuse to listen and you keep making things up or saying things that just aren't true.

Now perhaps you talk to people in the organization and throughout baseball like me. Perhaps you have analyzed those conversations and the information at hand and spent hours upon hours communicating with people who have been in the know at high levels. Perhaps you have done all of that and if you got a different story, then great, please, by all means share. But if you are going to constantly just makes stuff up and act like it's fact, when I see it, I'm going to set the record straight.

I have literally no reason to take up for Duquette other than its the truth. Let me let you in on a little secret, Duquette never once replied to any e-mail or text I ever sent him until he was fired. Not one. If I had an ax to grind, I'd be grinding it against a man who couldn't even take the time to respond to me. He's literally the only Orioles GM that never responded to me since I started contacting Orioles senior leadership. For whatever reason, Duquette did not feel I warranted a response. The funny thing is one of my pet peeves is people who won't respond to a professional correspondence.

I respect the guy as a baseball mind, but he's not exactly one of my go to guys for information so I literally have no reason whatsoever to take up for him. I only choose to put out what I feel is the truth and if that paints someone in one light or the other, that's what's going to come out because I feel the fans deserve to know.

But that's just me being me!

When Microsoft's Steve Ballmer announced that he would be "retiring" within the next 12 months back in August 2013 it wasn't known *who* would replace him. Only that it would be contingent on first finding a successor. Satya Nadella didn't become CEO of Microsoft until February 2014. Nearly 7 months for a position that as uber important to the future of Microsoft, yet MS was largely quiet in the early stages. They've had multiple restructures over the years and these things *take time*. It doesn't do anybody any good to clamor with pitchforks especially so damn early. Let the company interview and be methodical. It's a historically awful team at this point. There shouldn't have to be a sense of urgency with this. Get the right person. It's arguably the most important role at the company right now. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like a wise man. ;)

Again, this is more about this entire year than the last few weeks. I don't expect them to give us a state of the Orioles at this juncture, and I agree that at this point, it makes little sense since hopefully they have identified who will be leading this franchise and they are just waiting until the end of the Series to make an announcement. But let me ask you this, what in their past actions makes you think they are some kind of wizard behind the curtain?

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry man, if you are going to be dense, I'm going to call you dense.  You refuse to listen and you keep making things up or saying things that just aren't true.

Now perhaps you talk to people in the organization and throughout baseball like me. Perhaps you have analyzed those conversations and the information at hand and spent hours upon hours communicating with people who have been in the know at high levels. Perhaps you have done all of that and if you got a different story, then great, please, by all means share. But if you are going to constantly just makes stuff up and act like it's fact, when I see it, I'm going to set the record straight.

I have literally no reason to take up for Duquette other than its the truth. Let me let you in on a little secret, Duquette never once replied to any e-mail or text I ever sent him until he was fired. Not one. If I had an ax to grind, I'd be grinding it against a man who couldn't even take the time to respond to me. He's literally the only Orioles GM that never responded to me since I started contacting Orioles senior leadership. For whatever reason, Duquette did not feel I warranted a response. The funny thing is one of my pet peeves is people who won't respond to a professional correspondence.

I respect the guy as a baseball mind, but he's not exactly one of my go to guys for information so I literally have no reason whatsoever to take up for him. I only choose to put out what I feel is the truth and if that paints someone in one light or the other, that's what's going to come out because I feel the fans deserve to know.

But that's just me being me!

I don't need to listen to people that are just piecing together disparate info similar to myself. Yes, you have connections. But I'll simply say I do as well. And Duquette leaked like a sieve. Just because he didn't talk to you doesn't mean he didn't leak. Hell, it just means he didn't leak *to you*. There are much more strategic outlets to leak to. And no offense, I don't think an Orioles forum is one of them.

Duquette is savvy. He's awkward, but he's media savvy. Trying to paint him as some sort of stoic professional whilst claiming Buck is the end all be all when it came to leaks is not just incorrect, it's dishonest, IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

An organization coming off it’s worst season in team history should at least have the self awareness to reassure the fan base that they have a plan to fix the franchise.

And a press release sent to the media doesn’t count.  One press conference on television/radio would have been more than enough and the Angelos brothers can’t even do that. 

B-I-N-G-O... was his name oh.. :D

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

They do have a plan to fix the franchise. The fact that everybody in this thread *knows* that they're hiring executives *outside of the organization* should speak volumes. What more do you want them to do? That's my problem here. People are clamoring for additional transparency without giving what they would want. Especially during a period of time when teams are traditionally mum as to not take away attention from the playoffs/World Series.

10 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't need to listen to people that are just piecing together disparate info similar to myself. Yes, you have connections. But I'll simply say I do as well. And Duquette leaked like a sieve. Just because he didn't talk to you doesn't mean he didn't leak. Hell, it just means he didn't leak *to you*. There are much more strategic outlets to leak to. And no offense, I don't think an Orioles forum is one of them.

Duquette is savvy. He's awkward, but he's media savvy. Trying to paint him as some sort of stoic professional whilst claiming Buck is the end all be all when it came to leaks is not just incorrect, it's dishonest, IMHO. 

Lol... I wasn't talking about just me, but whatever. You can believe what you want and if you think all I do piece together disparate info like yourself, well then all i can say is you are very, very wrong. Enjoy the site. We have nothing more to talk about.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol... I wasn't talking about just me, but whatever. You can believe what you want and if you think all I do piece together disparate info like yourself, well then all i can say is you are very, very wrong. Enjoy the site. We have nothing more to talk about.

Thanks. I do like some posters and content here. 

51 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I agree that they should've put out a statement, but, as I stated in another thread, I assume (possibly wrongly) they didn't want to publicize their father's situation.  The Mets are currently interviewing people for a similar position, but maybe I missed a formal statement from them on it while the process is ongoing.  If we're still having this discussion in another 2-3 weeks, then I'll come around to your position and be concerned.  Maybe you're ahead of the curve.

But T, were the Mets coming off a historically awful season? Again, this is not just this last month we are talking about. We're talking an entire debacle of a season and they said nothing. They let Duquette runs the trades and talk about the future and then fire him? They allow Buck to stay as manager even though his overall record as manager here was being tarnished? The Orioles lost and lost and lost and the said nothing to anyone. Then all they do is drop a press release when Duquette and Buck are fired? 

Sorry, that's a consistent history or them not communicating with their fans and they have shown to be no different than their father in this regard.

Archived