Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Definitely within the next 24-240 hours.

I'm thinking it's official and that they don't blow it.  Normally I'd be getting all @Rene88 about it but I just can't right now.  Maybe I'm just tired.  Bitching about the Orioles is like playing tennis against a wall.

Anyway, looking forward to whatever cliches he uses in his press conference so we can have some more stuff to speculate about.  

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

How has their international selections working out.  I don't notice anyone prominent on their roster acquired directly during Elias time with club.

My god, I think you are right.  This Elias guy is all hat an no cattle.  Of all the cream puff ivy league millionaires...we gotta pick this one.  Right?

I'm sorry, I think really sometimes you intentionally are trying to be difficult.  International selections have worked out ok for the Astros.  Their 40 man roster is littered with some guys with international backgrounds.  We may have different definitions as to prominent.  But if you look it's right there. That 2017 MVP guy...he's pretty good even if he ain't prominent.  6 time AS, 5 time SS, GG winner, top 3 MVP 3 times. And then there is...never mind.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why you are harping on this. I am sure there are plenty of people from Yale who are making more than 3 million a year at 35. Close to NYC and top law and business school plus connections to a lot of classmate who are from wealthy families. 

Compared to the player salaries he isn't making much.  Probably making less than Buck was making.  But keep going on and on about it.  

Oh, and in 2017 it took 700K of income to be in the top 1% of US wage earners. Even among the wealthiest $3M is pretty good coin.  But I am fine considering it henceforth.  RASMUS $.  

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm thinking it's official and that they don't blow it.  Normally I'd be getting all @Rene88 about it but I just can't right now.  Maybe I'm just tired.  Bitching about the Orioles is like playing tennis against a wall.

Anyway, looking forward to whatever cliches he uses in his press conference so we can have some more stuff to speculate about.  

Drinking game. How many times they use future,direction,new beginning and start. Also up to date.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Drinking game. How many times they use future,direction,new beginning and start. Also up to date.

We may here them a lot, but I think that's a good thing.   Instead of trying to patch together a "contender" with paper clips and bubble gum, we'll actually have a new direction.   I think Elias is bright enough to realize that we are truly a small to mid-market team and will operate accordingly.    He should have the acumen to realize that we aren't going to be able to hold onto guys like Machado, Schoop, and Britton sooner than the last regime, and actually profit on trades, or get them locked up early in their careers.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

How has their international selections working out.  I don't notice anyone prominent on their roster acquired directly during Elias time with club.

Franklin Perez was signed by them in 2014.  He was the main player in the Verlander deal.  

35 minutes ago, foxfield said:

My god, I think you are right.  This Elias guy is all hat an no cattle.  Of all the cream puff ivy league millionaires...we gotta pick this one.  Right?

I'm sorry, I think really sometimes you intentionally are trying to be difficult.  International selections have worked out ok for the Astros.  Their 40 man roster is littered with some guys with international backgrounds.  We may have different definitions as to prominent.  But if you look it's right there. That 2017 MVP guy...he's pretty good even if he ain't prominent.  6 time AS, 5 time SS, GG winner, top 3 MVP 3 times. And then there is...never mind.

Oh, and in 2017 it took 700K of income to be in the top 1% of US wage earners. Even among the wealthiest $3M is pretty good coin.  But I am fine considering it henceforth.  RASMUS $.  

Cheers

I like how you attack me but turn out to be totally ignorant about the situation.  Altuve was signed by the Astros in 2007.  Elias was with the Cardinals until 2011.  

My question was legitimate.   Am I not able to ask for information who know more about prospects than I do.  Geez. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I like how you attack me but turn out to be totally ignorant about the situation.  Altuve was signed by the Astros in 2007.  Elias was with the Cardinals until 2011.  

My question was legitimate.   Am I not able to ask for information who know more about prospects than I do.  Geez. 

Yeah, but Elias kept Altuve around.  That's part of it, too.  

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

They have Gurriel and Framber Valdez on their roster. They have a number on their top prospect list as GU posted.

They've also traded Alcala, Celestino, Hector Perez, Albert Abreu, Jorge Guzman, Franklin Perez, Harold Aruaz, Rio Ruiz, and Junior Garcia as part of the Verlander, McCann, Pressley, Osuna, Giles, Oliver Perez, and Gattis trades.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

This article says of their 30 prospects that 10 are from international players acquired. From last year. And another article .

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/houston-astros-2018-top-30-prospects-list/c-267000054

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/international-reviews-houston-astros-2018/

Thanks guys.  Interesting that both Guriel and Valdez were older guys when they were signed.   

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I think your question is fair enough.   People underestimate the degree to which the Astros were built on trades and some sharp FA signings.    I am happy with the choice of Elias, but I’m certainly not going to assume he’s some miracle-worker.    

20 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Franklin Perez was signed by them in 2014.  He was the main player in the Verlander deal.  

Thanks. 

Looks like Perez had shoulder issues this year with the Tigers.  I guess even when you trade your star veterans for top rated guys stuff happens.  That is why trading prospects isn't such a bad thing if you can get solid guys.  If we traded Bundy and Harvey at their peak prospect value we might be in a better situation right now. 

Archived