Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good article.   With such a strong background in amateur scouting, you have to think that Gary Rajsich’s job is in jeopardy, or that he’s going to be in a situation where Elias will be personally involved on draft day in a way that Duquette was not (Duquette also had a scouting background but was many years removed from it).

I am not sure about Rajaich status but Elias will have a director of scouting.  He will not do that job himself IMO, even though he has the background and expertise in that area.

Roch saying things to the effect that Jo has supporters in the organization is a red flag. New dude should have complete autonomy. Also, I think as fans it’s best to remain skeptical until the back channel to ownership is gone.

(I also get Roch has to hit his quota on content and Jo is his personal favorite quote resource so maybe Jo’s ‘supporters’ in the organization are only the lazy blogger who is paid by the team)

Reading fanagraph articles seems that Elias works with player development team to draft players that match their approach so they don't draft players and then the minor league coaches try to change the players.  Also believes scouts should have playing experience especially in minor leagues so they know what personality types will succeed at each level.

26 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

Roch saying things to the effect that Jo has supporters in the organization is a red flag. New dude should have complete autonomy. Also, I think as fans it’s best to remain skeptical until the back channel to ownership is gone.

(I also get Roch has to hit his quota on content and Jo is his personal favorite quote resource so maybe Jo’s ‘supporters’ in the organization are only the lazy blogger who is paid by the team)

I saw that as well. I am sure one of the supporters is Brady who never wants to move on from anyone. Really if Brady stays things will ho badly.

30 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

So. I'll be a bit windy here. Caleb is obviously one of the most media friendly folks you will ever meet. To my current knowledge, the only two people with 2019 Orioles baseball operations contracts are Kents Qualls and Mike Elias. This may change on Monday or have been changed and we are all unaware. Including Roch. 

Roch has guys, just like most local reporters. Caleb is not indefensible as our own esteemed Publisher could write a piece defending his retention quite well. To mention supporters in the organization would only be relevant if it were Qualls at this point.

Do I expect several of the current staff to be offered a new contract under Mike Elias' total baseball ops control? Yes.

Catching is in short supply. Caleb might have a job whether tendered or not. 

I personally would not tender him and after the rule five draft if he is still homeless sign him to an Milb with invite.

Does it matter for the 2019 Orioles? Not one single bit. And that alone might be reason enough to love him. And set him free. 

1 hour ago, weams said:
It's official: Orioles name Mike Elias EVP and General Manager
orioles.com
Orioles News
November 16, 2018 View as web page
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmlb.mlb.com%2Fbal%
Orioles name Mike Elias Executive Vice President and General Manager
The Orioles today announced that Mike Elias has been named the club's next Executive Vice President and General Manager. Elias will oversee all baseball operations for the club and have full autonomy to build his staff and make decisions on all baseball matters that he believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community. 

Elias just completed his 12th season in Major League Baseball, most recently serving as Assistant General Manager, Player Acquisition with the Houston Astros. Throughout his seven years in Houston, he helped to shape an Astros roster that produced back-to-back 100 win seasons, a World Series Championship, two American League Championship Series appearances, and two division titles. He was also an integral part of building one of baseball's top-ranked farm systems that routinely served to graduate talent to the Major League club. 

Official Press Release

Watch Live
The Orioles will introduce MIKE ELIAS, who will be joined by JOHN ANGELOS and LOUIS ANGELOS, on Monday, November 19, at 11:00 a.m. ET. 

The introduction will be carried live on television by the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), on the radio at 105.7 The Fan, and across Orioles digital platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Orioles.com.

Simply put, the above, from the announcement to the public forum, is everything and I mean EVERYTHING, that an Oriole fan could possibly dream of having.  It is everything that I asked for here with the exception of a public state of the franchise that I hoped would happen Oct 3.  There is literally NOTHING to dislike here.

Naysayers will say Chris Davis....or Brady.....or let's see if there really is full control.  My biggest hope was that fear that MLB would not accept the Angelosons would nudge them to this type of move and perhaps a quick resolution on MASN.  

There are miles and miles to go.  But Cheers to John and Lou Angelos, Cheers to the Baltimore Orioles and Cheers to Mike Elias!!!

Here’s a couple of Fangraphs interviews of Elias, mentioned in Melewski’s column today.

From 2014: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-mike-elias-houston-astros-director-of-amateur-scouting/

From 2017: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-elias-on-drafting-and-developing-astros-pitchers/

The main thing I got out of these articles is that the Astros believe certain types of deliveries are more sustainable, and they tend to draft pitchers who already have those deliveries and coach them that way.   The philosophy of the development staff, the scouting department and even the major league coaches is all in sync that way.    

Archived