2014 Astros article tells what is going to happen with the O's and why

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buying the arms.  Ubaldo, Cashner, Cobb, Gallardo.

Duh - caffeine doesn't always tweak the right synapses.  Plus aging sucks even when high on caffeine!  All that beer before the a fib did its damage!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you rather he be under contract or not right now?

That has nothing to do with the idea that sometimes you have to buy the arms. Also, the strategy shouldn't be based solely on how the O's used it in the past. The Astros trading for Verlander is a good example of buying the arms.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

That has nothing to do with the idea that sometimes you have to buy the arms. Also, the strategy shouldn't be based solely on how the O's used it in the past. The Astros trading for Verlander is a good example of buying the arms.

That was trading for an arm.

Baltimore is an unattractive landing spot for FA pitchers and that negatively impacts attempts to bolster the rotation.

i do agree that sometimes you have no choice.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was trading for an arm.

Baltimore is an unattractive landing spot for FA pitchers and that negatively impacts attempts to bolster the rotation.

i do agree that sometimes you have no choice.

I agree that Baltimore is an unattractive landing spot for a free agent pitcher. I consider acquiring an arm that you didn't develop to be buying an arm. When we traded for Miller, Feldman and Norris we bought arms - and paid very steeply for them.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I agree that Baltimore is an unattractive landing spot for a free agent pitcher. I consider acquiring an arm that you didn't develop to be buying an arm. When we traded for Miller, Feldman and Norris we bought arms - and paid very steeply for them.

Most of the time a pitcher you trade for doesn't have any say in the transaction.  That is why I don't consider it buying.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Most of the time a pitcher you trade for doesn't have any say in the transaction.  That is why I don't consider it buying.

Well, it certainly isn't growing the arms, right?  In a discussion of growing the arms vs. buying the arms, it seems to me that a trade would fall in the buying column.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As if only two ways to add talent exist.

Is the rule V draft buying or growing?

You can create as many sub-categories as you like.  The expression is "Grow the arms, buy the bats," and I think we all know what that means.  There is little doubt which side of that equation trades fall in.  Not sure what you are arguing about, really. 

Just now, Number5 said:

You can create as many sub-categories as you like.  The expression is "Grow the arms, buy the bats," and I think we all know what that means.  There is little doubt which side of that equation trades fall in.  Not sure what you are arguing about, really. 

So since you couldn't answer my question you decided to ignore it.

The expression is an over simplification of reality.

The expression is irrelevant.

Now I know you and I know you will spend the next three hours on this if I let you so I'll just say I'm done now.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So since you couldn't answer my question you decided to ignore it.

The expression is an over simplification of reality.

The expression is irrelevant.

Now I know you and I know you will spend the next three hours on this if I let you so I'll just say I'm done now.

LOL.  Rather than acknowledge which side of the equation a trade really falls, lets just say the whole discussion is irrelevant.   Suffice to say, I agree with mdbdotcom's take on this.  I did answer your attempt to create sub-categories.  I'm sorry that you are upset that I didn't point out the obvious fact that buying a player for $100,000 is, quite literally, buying the player.  I realize that you will never acknowledge my point.  Enjoy your day.

Archived