How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I wanted Manny to try rehab that season. I wanted Chris Davis to not be suspended for PEDs. I'm pretty sure that Zach did not have much choice. 

it wasnt responding to rest.

"The hope was because it was [a] partial [tear on the right side], that it wasn't as severe. The hope was that it would scar down, and we'd be able to get [Machado] back and see how it we went," head athletic trainer Richie Bancells said. "That, in combination with Dr. ElAttrache had always mentioned there was a risk, just given the way that Manny is structured physically, predisposes him to that kind of injury. There was always that risk.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I wanted Manny to try rehab that season. I wanted Chris Davis to not be suspended for PEDs. I'm pretty sure that Zach did not have much choice. 

I don’t remember any controversy at all about whether Manny should have surgery.    I don’t think he had any real choice at all.    And even if he did, I wouldn’t have wanted our 21-year old star to risk more permanent injury by trying to play hurt.   

Davis is a completely different story, that was totally his choice and his fault.   But I’ll continue to say he hit very poorly in 2014 and I wouldn’t say he was likely to be a game-changer for us in the playoffs.

With Manny: 47-35

Wthout Manny: 49-31

With Davis: 72-55

Without Davis: 24-11

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember any controversy at all about whether Manny should have surgery.    I don’t think he had any real choice at all.    And even if he did, I wouldn’t have wanted our 21-year old star to risk more permanent injury by trying to play hurt.   

Davis is a completely different story, that was totally his choice and his fault.   But I’ll continue to say he hit very poorly in 2014 and I wouldn’t say he was likely to be a game-changer for us in the playoffs.

With Manny: 47-35

Wthout Manny: 49-31

With Davis: 72-55

Without Davis: 24-11

Yeah. Well, I do recall questions about rehabbing the knee. Maybe it was just keyboard physicians. 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:56 PM, dabirds said:

No blank check.  I need to hear his plan and see him follow it immediately.  I know it will be a few years to see results at the major league level, but i need to see the plan in motion...

This.  We can lose 90 or even 100+ games for the next couple of seasons, but if we're seeing clear progress in our development of existing prospects, and the scouting and drafting of highly rated prospects, than I'll be happy.  That would be a positive indicator of progress and better things to come.  But there's no such thing as a blank check, we should hopefully see improvement and a clear plan and direction in pretty short order.

42 minutes ago, weams said:

Yeah. Well, I do recall questions about rehabbing the knee. Maybe it was just keyboard physicians. 

No, I take it back, there was consideration of rest and rehab.   http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-after-partial-tear-of-ligament-in-right-knee-manny-machado-opted-for-seasonending-surgery-20140823-story.html

On 11/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, Frobby said:

This is an exaggeration, depending on who you listen to, I suppose.   First of all, OH has Diaz as our no. 5 prospect, not no. 1.    Here are the ceilings of our top guys per OH:

Hall 65

Rodriguez 65 

Mountcastle 60

Kremer 60

Diaz 60

Hays 55

Hunter 60

Lowther 55

Knight 55

Hanifee 55

That’s 10 players who have a ceiling of above average major leaguer.    Now, that may be aggressive, and certainly nobody expects all these guys to reach their ceiling.    But it’s not like there is nobody with the potential to be a good player in the organization.

Your overall point that Elias has a huge hole to dig out of is correct, of course, I just don’t want to see the situation exaggerated.

Thanks for the correction, although I would like to see a weighted average of across the board projections of these prospects (assuming the OH rank is not that).  As I'm sure you're aware, there's no way Rodriguez makes the ML roster as a SP until 2022 at the earliest.  Likewise, I'd be very surprised if DL Hall makes the ML roster until late 2020 at the very, very earliest.  That's our top two right there -- still speculative and a long way off.  Mountcastle is a nice hitter and all but a negative in the field by all accounts, unless we most him to first where CD is blocking him.  Will be interesting to see if Kremer or Hays get a cup of coffee at the majors next year -- 2019 will be a make or break year for both of those guys.  There's no way I would consider Hunter Harvey above a 50 at this point, the guy is totally snakebit by injuries even worse than Bundy was which I can't believe I'm saying but it's true.  I'm a bit embarrassed but I've not heard of Lowther/Knight/Hanifee before, will have to check those guys out.  

Regardless, the word on the street seems to be that our minor league system is still in the bottom third even with all DD's midseason aquisitions.  Don't see Elias realistically propelling it to the top ten -- unless a few guys come out of nowhere -- before 2021 at the earliest.  

Have to say at least three years.  W-L records matter to the heart, but we're going to need a lot more looking out from the head the next couple of years.  This time in three years from today Elias and co. will have completed three drafts, pre-July 31 trade deadlines, rule 5 drafts, and everything else.  If in that time the farm system and development side of things haven't improved or start producing better talent that's either ready to contribute or not far away, the analytical side hasn't improved, and fans generally don't see that the organization is genuinely heading in the right direction of sustained success, it'll be time to start looking at who can do it better.

It's not really a years thing. It's going to be determined by what we see. Did he build up analytics/int'l scouting in year 1? Did he attempt to use data/scouting/coaching techniques to help current players like Davis and Bundy? Did he clear more dead weight off the roster? Are we seeing evidence of his vision being carried out throughout the organization?

If it's mid-year 2 and we're not seeing any of this, then I don't need to wait until year 3 you know? 

I'm pretty hopeful he makes an immediate impact throughout the organization, but there are a lot of keyed in folks who will be able to determine if that's happening. 

On 11/17/2018 at 8:23 PM, OFFNY said:

o

"Coach, how long do you think it will take to build Louisville into a college football power ???"

"About 15 years."

Howard Schnellenberger in December of 1984, when he was asked about how long it would take for him to evolve his new team into a Division I-A contender

o

Under-Commit, over-produce?

• Upvote 1

If Elias does not nontender Beckham and he is the starting shortstop next season, I think many blank checks will go away.  If he adds even one low-level pitcher to our list of bad trades, the rest will go away.  I don't see the OHers as blind followers.  I see a lot of agendas out there.

4 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

If Elias does not nontender Beckham and he is the starting shortstop next season, I think many blank checks will go away.  If he adds even one low-level pitcher to our list of bad trades, the rest will go away.  I don't see the OHers as blind followers.  I see a lot of agendas out there.

I could not disagree more.