How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

For me, it's five years.  I'm going to refrain from wondering if he's the right man for the Orioles until the end of 2023.  If by then we still aren't over .500 AND our minor league system isn't better than mediocre AND it's clear that Elias has actually been the one calling the shots, then I will start to be worried that he might not be suited for the GM role in Baltimore.  But by 2023 if he is able to get the team winning again or we aren't winning yet but our minors are elite or the ownership is breaking their promise and keeps meddling in baseball decisions, then I will be fine with Elias continuing in his role indefinitely.  Just hope he isn't poached by another organization before the Orioles start to see success at the majors.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Blank check?

Three years.

At that point I should at least be able to see progress in the minor league system.

yeah, I mean in five years my grandparents are gone, all three kids are in college (which means I am broke) and I'm approaching 50.  Let's go with three....!

o

"Coach, how long do you think it will take to build Louisville into a college football power ???"

"About 15 years."

Howard Schnellenberger in December of 1984, when he was asked about how long it would take for him to evolve his new team into a Division I-A contender

o

Two years.  More if he doesn't sign FA's like Garret Atkins and call it a "swing for the fences".  Oh and refraining from starting his third full year on the job by saying "this year the wins matter" would go a long way too.

ME, don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining, OK?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

and what are your expectations after the 2nd year? Considering we're the ultimate dumpster fire I can't see anyway possible he doesn't get 5 years before his seat gets hot.

I’m not Moose, but I agreed with two years for a blank check. Blank check tome means relaxed criticism, benefit of the doubt. We will know a lot about the decision making process after two years. Have smart moves been made? Have obviously dumb moves been avoided? Not expecting a winning team, but do expect strong moves to be made, An obvious plan in action. 

I'll certainly wait until he gets a week under his belt before I start judging him. 

It's going to be near impossible to judge him on wins and losses for the first 3 or so years. As others have said, it will be more of an idea about the farm system, and recently promoted or acquired talent on the field.

It's going to be an arduous process I'm afraid. On the other hand though, there's really only one way to go after 2018...

15 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

and what are your expectations after the 2nd year? Considering we're the ultimate dumpster fire I can't see anyway possible he doesn't get 5 years before his seat gets hot.

Significant progress in talent acquisition in the minors both via draft and international markets.  I don't expect this to be a winning team after two years but I will expect to see things starting to come together. @Ohfan67 summed it up nicely.  He will have had three offseasons (this one, '19-20, '20-21) and two drafts and two international signing periods ('19, '20) to show that he can get a turnaround started. I wouldn't be calling for his head after two years but I'd start to wonder wtf is going on if things aren't demonstrably better.  And since you said we're a dumpster fire (which I agree with), being demonstrably better shouldn't be too big of a task.