How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes I want to eat a meal before promoting the Sous to head Chef.

I've only seen his broth I don't even know if he can season properly.

That's the dangerous part of some saying the flip switching is coming. It seems as though the potential competitive date is getting pushed further, and meanwhile the team is seemingly unwilling to start supplementing the roster with capable ML pieces that can be here and in place. Not every player needs to be the same age and contract situation to have a period of contention. There will always be some shuffling of the roster and hopefully a core. 

I know this is not news to you. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

It would be crazy to release Davis unless they know for an absolute certainty that 162 games will be played this year.

This is a serious question and none of us may really know, but wouldn't a player's contract even if they are released still be based on the season? Once a player is released if another team signs them the agreed amount of the new team comes of off the amount owed by the former team.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

This is a serious question and none of us may really know, but wouldn't a player's contract even if they are released still be based on the season? Once a player is released if another team signs them the agreed amount of the new team comes of off the amount owed by the former team.

Chen's paycheck last season says no.

15 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Yea, if they release him now, they are on the hook for everything.

The thing is, I don’t think they are going to release him anyway.

The next thing will be that they are holding out hope that he retires.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, if they release him now, they are on the hook for everything.

The thing is, I don’t think they are going to release him anyway.

The next thing will be that they are holding out hope that he retires.

No, I agree that he will be in uniform until the contract expires. 

An argument can be made that releasing him and paying RM the minimum would be an overall gain in WAR to dollars. Plus it would hopefully lock him in to a position.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Maybe I'm not following the conversation closely enough, but that's the only reason he was the most expensive player. Others were on much more expensive contracts, but didn't get paid for 162.

Or maybe that's your point, but I didn't see that.

Yes. I had asked the question wondering if a full contract of a released player still had to be honored at 162 rather than however many games were played.

• Upvote 1

Elias is off to a good start IMO, the non tenders and deferred salary requests shouldnt be put on him. I think the team is in more danger of losing some O's executives to teams trying harder than anything else. Next season will be ALOT more telling. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Why would he leave? Because he's capable like Andrew Friedman and just isn't given the tools to build the house. He's like a carpenter without a nail gun or power saws. 

If I were him, I'd be building this foundation as strong as possible, just like he apparently is, and then point to that when talking to rich owners and say I can do the same + with real ownership support. His next contract could be huge for GMs.

I know I'm being way premature here, but I can totally see this scenario playing out for the O's.

To get all ACC for a minute on a couple levels, I know this feeling from the early Coach Bennett years, "He's too good for us."   He ended up staying.  I don't think Elias has accomplished what early Bennett has yet, though just like the Patriots/Spurs/Dodgers you just see the wheels turning turning turning.

Peter's level of support for Buck's teams was perhaps the 50-yard line of Friedman's Rays and Dodgers - that's still who I look for us to be.   I hope we don't punt 2022, but probably in eight years even that is a footnote.   For even ~$90M you can write a nice 2023 roster fairytale, especially if it ends up 2022 pick 1-2 lines up behind 2021 pick 1-5.  I think that's enough tools to be sufficient for Elias to remain interested in the Early Adley years.   Whether the sons will drop $450M in 3 years at the end of the line academic for now.

This is mostly psychobabble, but I do enjoy the Elias bio.  I know as a Cav I'm vastly outnumbered by Hokies and other ACC types around here (as a Baltimore kid, that in-state stuff was alien to me, I cared more about beating the Terps), but I think for the Tech guys, this may resonate a little.  It'll be gibberish to most of you.

Your NoVa TJ Tech guys were probably thick on the Grounds (ok, campus) in undergrad years.  In my case, a bunch of them were Orioles fans and became friends.   That's who I think Elias was too, except he played well enough to mix beer and tacos and pitch in the Ivy League.   I also appreciate that as a born in 1982 he's a guy down I-95 a little who still has the Orioles as that anchor point in his life.   Its an easy profile to root for, apart from the Black and Orange laundry of it all.