How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

43 minutes ago, csgordos said:

Other than a backup catcher and a true #2/3 starter, what are we augmenting?   Just curious your thoughts.  With who we have in the minors on the cusp in the next year and who is already young and up now there isn’t much room.  I don’t want players who you are paying for past production who will decline and block our future building blocks.  

If we plan on really contending  I want two starters.

41 minutes ago, csgordos said:

Other than a backup catcher and a true #2/3 starter, what are we augmenting?   Just curious your thoughts.  With who we have in the minors on the cusp in the next year and who is already young and up now there isn’t much room.  I don’t want players who you are paying for past production who will decline and block our future building blocks.  

The Orioles have exceeded a lot of expectations this year.  Improving upon where they are is not going to be as easy.  The Orioles probably need better than one true #2/3 starter.  I would argue that they need two.  One via trade and one via FA.  And I would likely exercise option on Jordan Lyles as insurance.  Depending on trades of existing players I could see signing one bat that fits they system.

That is a lot but not out of the Orioles reach.  I also could see them begin this winter or next year in season to extend some of the current kids.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

The book on this season isn't written yet... But it's been a very successful season no matter what happens going forward. So can we say that Elias has succeeded in year 5?

The playoffs are very much a crap shoot, short series and any team can suddenly get hot (see the Royals in 2014) and any team can suddenly get cold, The only ting you can control (as musch as any team can) is the regular season and that has been an undeniable success. Best record in the AL - literally could not have been better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentJames said:

The playoffs are very much a crap shoot, short series and any team can suddenly get hot (see the Royals in 2014) and any team can suddenly get cold, The only ting you can control (as musch as any team can) is the regular season and that has been an undeniable success. Best record in the AL - literally could not have been better. 

I don't know if that word means what you think it means. It could have been better.

:)

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 11:55 PM, Frobby said:

Bump….Elias just cashed in his blank check!   Now he can have another one for the next decade or so.  

Agreed. I don't know if Elias will take it though. 

Whenever his contract is up, he will be worth an absolute S-ton of money and may want a new challenge if the Orioles win a World Series.

I hope not. I hope he just wants to see how many WS he can win. But the lure will be there and I doubt Angelos will pay him what he's worth.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Whenever his contract is up, he will be worth an absolute S-ton of money and may want a new challenge if the Orioles win a World Series.

I hope not. I hope he just wants to see how many WS he can win. But the lure will be there and I doubt Angelos will pay him what he's worth.

He did grow up an Orioles fan, right? Maybe that counts for something.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know there is a general low opinion of JA but I will give him credit for one thing.   It appears that he allows Elias to run the baseball operation with very little interference.   Much less than his father inferred.  If JA is smart enough to do that maybe he is smart enough to understand how key Elias is to the money flow and will cut him in on part of the profits.