Reminder - Elias Presser Today at 11 am

TonySoprano

At work so I couldn't see or hear any, but reading this thread sounds impressive.

Anyone who thought he would have anything definitive and specific to say about incoming, outgoing, or retained personnel such as Sig, Brady, a new manager, Davis, etc... that was NEVER going to happen.   You don't talk about potential personnel moves before you actually DO them.   It's just not the right way to do things.   You might want to bring someone in, but for whatever reason it doesn't work out (the guy's wife doesn't want to move to Baltimore for example).   If you've talked about the move in advance it signals to anyone else that they are a second choice.   You don't commit to getting rid of someone or keeping them until you actually make the decision to do so.

Sounds like he got as specific as he could without violating those basic principles which anyone put in charge would follow.  

Now we'll see how it turns out, sometime in the next decade or so.  

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Here's 3

3b0b4c107cdc73111b18dc00db222eb3.jpg

41 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

She can handle the pitchers pretty good. Orioles new pitching coach ?

Or maybe scouting the pitchers.   She can definitely handle a JUGS gun.    (My apologies, I couldn’t help myself.)

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I like the part that he still has many contacts with players/agents international markets and it's only a matter of making phone calls to get that process started. L&J really like that he was a Scouting Director..

Duquette claimed this as well but his contacts were a decade old. Having someone literally on the cusp of new baseball who is respected by new AND old school baseball folks alike is basically a dream. Agents didn't even want to deal with the Orioles by the end of the Duq/Buck era. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sig question!!!  Have there been discussions on bringing him over?

And he dodges it.  

Did he dodge it? I thought his answer spoke volumes. He said kinda tongue and cheek that it's not appropriate to talk about free agents. The fact that Mejdal is not here already means a few things in my mind. One, there was no agreement between ME and Mejdal before Mejdal quit and that Mejdal looks at himself as a free agent and is probably looking for the best role and the most money.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Did he dodge it? I thought his answer spoke volumes. He said kinda tongue and cheek that it's not appropriate to tall about free agents. The fact that Mejdal is not here already means a few things in my mind. One, there was no agreement between ME and Mejdal before Mejdal quit and that Mejdal looks at himself as a free agent and is probably looking for the best role and the most money.

There was no way he was going to answer that question unless they were ready to announce a hire right then and there. Pretty clear he's the guy he wants based on that answer.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did he dodge it? I thought his answer spoke volumes. He said kinda tongue and cheek that it's not appropriate to tall about free agents. The fact that Mejdal is not here already means a few things in my mind. One, there was no agreement between ME and Mejdal before Mejdal quit and that Mejdal looks at himself as a free agent and is probably looking for the best role and the most money.

Well, he didn't say yes or no, so it's a dodge in my book although I understand the etiquette that he can't talk about that stuff.  

I agree with your take on Mejdal.  

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, maybe they're waiting to have an in-person meeting.  He was in Japan last week.  The team made Elias the highest paid first year GM, so hopefully they saved some coin for Sig.

Archived