Reminder - Elias Presser Today at 11 am

TonySoprano

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, maybe they're waiting to have an in-person meeting.  He was in Japan last week.  The team made Elias the highest paid first year GM, so hopefully they saved some coin for Sig.

If he's "in Japan" could they use some of the International Slot $$$?  Asking for a friend .... (are you out there wildcard?)

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Geez, he's too young to have gone to Memorial Stadium.

Nah. I'm less than 3 months older than him and I attended games at Memorial Stadium. Remembering the games are a different story. My parents took lots of pictures, but I only remember Mickey Tettleton crushing a homerun. 

I like this quote from Roch's summary piece.  Sure, he could just be sweet-talking us but I think he's being genuine.

Elias made it clear that he doesn’t view the roster cupboard as bare.

“Lot of good players here,” he said. “There are more coming. As a scouting director, I’m familiar with a lot of the players in the minor league system. There are some future stars in the system and some really good pitchers. There is more than enough here to work with. That is part of the attraction of this job to me. I know there are already players here that we’re going to be able to lean on over the next few years and watch grow."

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh man, he went to TJ?!?!? The same magnet school with the pretentious ass "Thomas Jefferson:  We came for the sports!" bumper stickers that permeated the Northern VA streets?

I was liking Elias after today.  Not sure anymore.

Yale. All these guys are that way. All of them. 

Anybody concerned with Houston's pitching development? I'll totally sign up for their level of success but it seems their best pitchers recently have come from the outside. Their best home grown starters would be McCullers, McHugh and Kuechel? Not a hugely impressive list.

What's nice is obviously they've been successful without a stable of home grown pitchers. I've just been a tad bit concerned that their resume developing starters is marginal. 

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Anybody concerned with Houston's pitching development? I'll totally sign up for their level of success but it seems their best pitchers recently have come from the outside. Their best home grown starters would be McCullers, McHugh and Kuechel? Not a hugely impressive list.

What's nice is obviously they've been successful without a stable of home grown pitchers. I've just been a tad bit concerned that their resume developing starters is marginal. 

Keuchel won a Cy Young. If the Elias can oversee the development of just one pitcher who can win a Cy Young in an Orioles uniform - I'd say that'd be a pretty amazing improvement.

Just now, theocean said:

Keuchel won a Cy Young. If the Elias can oversee the development of just one pitcher who can win a Cy Young in an Orioles uniform - I'd say that'd be a pretty amazing improvement.

That's fair. I guess Cole and Verlander are fresh in my mind and Kuechel tapered off some of the last couple of years. 

13 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Wow, you are one tough grader.   Keuchel won a Cy Young and has been worth 18.1 rWAR, McCullers has been worth 6.2 rWAR so far and McHugh (who is not home grown, but received in a trade) has been worth 10.9 rWAR as an Astro after having negative value for both the Mets and Rockies.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, you are one tough grader.   Keuchel won a Cy Young and has been worth 18.1 rWAR, McCullers has been worth 6.2 rWAR so far and McHugh (who is not home grown, but received in a trade) has been worth 10.9 rWAR as an Astro after having negative value for both the Mets and Rockies.   

Well, the Orioles are known for Cy Young winners...or used to be.  Steve Stone was the last one,  38 years ago.

Archived