Rumors and News

oriolediehard

Just now, section18 said:

I believe we are the only team in baseball without a manager. This is not a source of strength for Mike Elias at the moment.

Sort of like opening a new store with all of the shelves not stocked and no manager to run it. Granted he has a  lot of positions to fill but manager should be a priority for him. If not a priority the players who remain on the roster will think our new GM does not think a manager is an important part of the team.  I think he is a very important part of the team.

The Orioles are like a store with a new owner.  The sons are doing a great job so far. They are open for business. Lets hire a manager for our store/team and stock the shelves with other positions as time permits.

I think it's likely to happen before the winter meetings. I don't really agree about the perception thing. Buck would still be sitting at home right now anyway. He's usually at the meetings, though, and I suspect we'll hire someone before then. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, section18 said:

I believe we are the only team in baseball without a manager. This is not a source of strength for Mike Elias at the moment.

Sort of like opening a new store with all of the shelves not stocked and no manager to run it. Granted he has a  lot of positions to fill but manager should be a priority for him. If not a priority the players who remain on the roster will think our new GM does not think a manager is an important part of the team.  I think he is a very important part of the team.

The Orioles are like a store with a new owner.  The sons are doing a great job so far. They are open for business. Lets hire a manager for our store/team and stock the shelves with other positions as time permits.

I don’t agree, and more importantly, I don’t think Elias agrees that there’s any hurry: “it’s not something to rush for the sake of meeting artificial dates in the wintertime.”  Pitchers and catchers report in mid-February; there’s little for the manager to do before then.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t agree, and more importantly, I don’t think Elias agrees that there’s any hurry: “it’s not something to rush for the sake of meeting artificial dates in the wintertime.”  Pitchers and catchers report in mid-February; there’s little for the manager to do before then.

I'm totally with you on this. This manager is not a wartime manager. So it makes no difference. Elias can run this show however he chooses. He's on Hot Stove tonight. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm totally with you on this. THhs manager is not a wartime manager. So it makes no difference. Elias can run this show however he chooses. He's on Hot Stove tonight. 

Completely agree. I do think that we'll start to hear a few names trickle out in the coming days that are being considered.

This is not rocket science. What is so hard about choosing a manager? He probably already knows who he wants to hire and is delaying this for a reason only he knows.  He can choose a manager after background checks and after conducting interviews? He has put all of their data into his computer.  How many people does he need to interview? This will be the last comment about the need to hire someone today unless he surprises us and announces it on the Hot Stove Show tonight.  Can anyone on here honestly say if they were down in the warehouse hours and hours every day and interviewing your favorite candidates you could not make a decision? I think it makes him look unsure of himself by delaying. I am on his side for now and hope he continues making the right decisions. Nobody is perfect. Get it done !

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

This is not rocket science. What is so hard about choosing a manager? He probably already knows who he wants to hire and is delaying this for a reason only he knows.  He can choose a manager after background checks and after conducting interviews? He has put all of their data into his computer.  How many people does he need to interview? This will be the last comment about the need to hire someone today unless he surprises us and announces it on the Hot Stove Show tonight.  Can anyone on here honestly say if they were down in the warehouse hours and hours every day and interviewing your favorite candidates you could not make a decision? I think it makes him look unsure of himself by delaying. I am on his side for now and hope he continues making the right decisions. Nobody is perfect. Get it done !

I am not in any way of this opinion. I think he will do plenty wrong while he is here. This ain't it. 

13 minutes ago, section18 said:

If you go back and review Section18's posts there seems to be a distinct pattern. They usually start with an out of left field comment and then his replies get progressively more aggressive as people reply to the thread. You all can judge for yourself, but I really think he's just trolling us.

43 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm totally with you on this. This manager is not a wartime manager. So it makes no difference. Elias can run this show however he chooses. He's on Hot Stove tonight. 

I’d like to think Elias will pick a guy who can grow with the team — maybe not a wartime manager yet, but capable of becoming one.  

2 hours ago, section18 said:

We are the only team without a manager and the idea of opening a new store is a good one.  You should consider that the store does not open until Feb and I have no doubt that the hire will be made long before then.  There are plenty of names available and plenty of variety for him to choose from in making a selection.  It might be before the Winter meetings, it could be during and of course it might be after.  I'm ok with that until we hear he has offered the job to A B and C and they have all declined.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

I think you are reaching here.  First of all, I can think of no reason to delay, if he knows and a deal is worked out, it will be announced.  And second, you may be literally the only fan in baseball to think he looks unsure, by not naming a manager already.  I think you are wrong and that time will clear this up pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Beltran seems like a good choice.  Last year was with the Astros.  But would someone with 200 million in career salary want to manage?  

Beltran didn't play last year. He retired after 2017 and was a finalist for the Yankees' managerial opening if I remember correctly. To me, that shows a desire to manage, but would he be interested in managing a rebuilding club is a different question.

7 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Beltran didn't play last year. He retired after 2017 and was a finalist for the Yankees' managerial opening if I remember correctly. To me, that shows a desire to manage, but would he be interested in managing a rebuilding club is a different question.

I'd think an aspiring manager would take any job and TBH were I him, I'd be more interested in a tougher job like the O's than an immediate contender like the Yanks because TBH, I think showing the potential to grow with a team shows more about your skills as a manager who wants into a ready contender.

Archived