Rumors and News

oriolediehard

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I would not think the Orioles intend to spend any money on catching this year. 

I think they might. They have zero experience on the roster. Sisco looked terrible. Wynn is fun but an old rookie. I could see an experienced, solid catcher who is good with pitchers as a good add. I’m not talking primo free agent type, but someone with a track record. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think they might. They have zero experience on the roster. Sisco looked terrible. Wynn is fun but an old rookie. I could see an experienced, solid catcher who is good with pitchers as a good add. I’m not talking primo free agent type, but someone with a track record. 

I am pretty certain that they will go cheap. 

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

On a 1 year deal we can offer Schoop more than any of the team in MLB in terms of rebuilding his value. Everyday ABs at 2nd. OPACY. He knows the league and pitchers. He’d likely hit 3rd or 4th, behind Mullins and Villar. 

I don’t think we should spend money on any FAs at the moment, but we are desperately thin at Middle Infield.  I’d take a chance on Schoop and a SP that is looking to rebuild value. 

Would’nt that hurt the development and results of their pitchers though?

25 minutes ago, section18 said:

Rosenthal is reporting Chip Hale bench coach with the Nationals and Brandon Hyde bench coach with the Cubs will interview with the Orioles for the mangers job.  We will be interviewing six former managers.

Maybe new thread for these interviews?

13 hours ago, weams said:

I am pretty certain that they will go cheap. 

They were negotiating with Joseph up until 8 PM. The just wanted to save a few hundred grand. Does not sound like a team that is looking to get a solid catcher for the pitchers. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

They were negotiating with Joseph up until 8 PM. The just wanted to save a few hundred grand. Does not sound like a team that is looking to get a solid catcher for the pitchers. 

Caleb Joseph is a solid catcher only if there are no balls in the dirt, either from pitches or plays at the plate. His botched play at the plate in the 2014 ALCS really stung. Buck said it would be addressed in spring training. Guess that didn't happen or he couldn't get any better than he was.

Maybe they were looking to save a few hundred thousand for a backup to Sisco or Susac, as Caleb hasn't started more than 81 games since 2015.

Great guy, not a real good defensive catcher.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I think they have a value in mind for each player regardless of paycheck size and he just didn't get down to that number.

Plus he's likely to get injured at 33 and then you're paying for nothing.

12 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Looks like the Mariners are trying to race us to the bottom of next summer's standings. Is there a Ken Griffey III in the 2020 class? 

I remember reading that they were looking to dump Kyle Seager's contract too. Blowing that team up now probably isn't a terrible idea. They can still get top value for guys like Paxton and Segura. Crawford and Shefield would be a great start to rebuilding their infield and rotation with younger players. 

I also think the way the dangled Diaz to get the Mets to get them to take on Cano's contract was brilliant. Diaz is good, but closers are so unpredictable from one year to the next. If memory serves Diaz actually lost the closer's job for a brief stink in 2017 because he was so bad. I also don't see Cano aging well, especially in the National League where he can't DH. 

On 12/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, ScGO's said:

Wynns, Sisco, Susac, Cumberland, and Cervenka might be enough depth  to start to start the season.  What cheap options are out there?  Wieters? I  kid, I kid. 

I was just thinking Wieters would be a good guy to bring back.  Should be cheap and would be a good veteran to have around.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I was just thinking Wieters would be a good guy to bring back.  Should be cheap and would be a good veteran to have around.

If you want a cheap veteran presence with acceptable defense and a light bat, then just keep Caleb Joseph. I don't necessarily agree with Roch that the O's "need" to bring in a veteran catcher. They absolutely don't. It might be a good idea, but I'm pretty confident in Wynns out there man. He looks every bit the part of a catcher in control out there. I'd just as soon roll with him. 

Archived