Rumors and News

oriolediehard

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we’ve all been saying a complete change to the FO was needed. Now we can’t sit here and say “But that guy was good”. We have no idea. Dysfunction has been a big problem, so let Elias have a staff entirely of people that are 100% behind him. 

He’s building the org from the top down. We haven’t made a single waiver claim, or a hire for any coaching staffs. At this point I’d be surprised if any coach or FO person was retained. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we’ve all been saying a complete change to the FO was needed. Now we can’t sit here and say “But that guy was good”. We have no idea. Dysfunction has been a big problem, so let Elias have a staff entirely of people that are 100% behind him. 

He’s building the org from the top down. We haven’t made a single waiver claim, or a hire for any coaching staffs. At this point I’d be surprised if any coach or FO person was retained. 

First of all, I’m completely in favor of Elias replacing as many people as he wants as soon as he wants.

That said, it’s preposterous to suggest that every front office person and coach will be let go.    There isn’t enough time in one offseason to find competent people to fill all those positions (especially when you don’t start looking until November), you’d lose all institutional knowledge of the players in the organization, and undoubtedly there are some people in the organization who are good at their jobs and will be able to adapt to Elias’ methods of operation.   So, I expect a good bit of turnover, but not the level of wholesale replacement that you have in mind. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I’m completely in favor of Elias replacing as many people as he wants as soon as he wants.

That said, it’s preposterous to suggest that every front office person and coach will be let go.    There isn’t enough time in one offseason to find competent people to fill all those positions (especially when you don’t start looking until November), you’d lose all institutional knowledge of the players in the organization, and undoubtedly there are some people in the organization who are good at their jobs and will be able to adapt to Elias’ methods of operation.   So, I expect a good bit of turnover, but not the level of wholesale replacement that you have in mind. 

Agree with this. On top of it all, there are good baseball in the organization already, some were just in need of one good leader at the top. Saying all that, I would expect next offseason to have even more turnover as Elias will have time to evaluate all of his people.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a rumor, albeit a very vague one:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jsbearr/status/1067526975596703744

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8glw_fa6sX_ZkD5lJChW

Second basemen
Jed Lowrie (35 years old, 4.9 WAR)
Asdrubal Cabrera (33, 2.7)
Ian Kinsler (37, 2.3)
DJ LeMahieu (30, 2.0)
Daniel Descalso (32, 1.6)
Brian Dozier (32, 0.8)
Daniel Murphy (34, 0.8)
Josh Harrison (31, 0.3)
Andrew Romine (33, 0.1)
Neil Walker (33, 0.1)
Sean Rodriguez (34, 0.0)
Gordon Beckham (32, -0.1)
Logan Forsythe (32, -0.2)
Brandon Phillips (38, -0.3)

Third basemen
Eduardo Escobar (30 years old, 3.5 WAR) -- Signed 3-year deal with ARI (10/22).
Mike Moustakas (30, 2.4)
Josh Donaldson (33, 1.3) -- Signed 1-year deal with ATL (11/26).
Jung Ho Kang (32, 0.0) -- Re-signed with PIT for 1 year (11/8).
Chase Headley (35, -0.4)
Ryan Flaherty (32, -0.4)
Danny Valencia (34, -0.4)
Jose Reyes (36, -0.9)
Luis Valbuena (33, -0.9)

Shortstops
Manny Machado (26 years old, 6.2 WAR)
Jose Iglesias (29, 2.5)
Freddy Galvis (29, 1.2)
Jordy Mercer (32, 1.0)
Adeiny Hechavarria (30, 0.4)
Alcides Escobar (32, -0.3)
Eric Sogard (33, -0.8)

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents/c-293292274

23 minutes ago, weams said:

My wife would be thrilled. 

I didn't realize how much his defense fell off last year. If they plan on going the defensive route it seems like Iglesias would probably be the better option of the two, but probably more expensive. To me it would boil down to years. If Iglesias wanted more than a two year deal I'd probably cross him off my list. 

Archived