Araujo Back to Cubs?

Aristotelian

15 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Thanks. The way the writer portrayed it was that the Os were incompetent. O figured someone on this board would have pointed it out if that was the case.

They were, just not in the way the writer implied. ? signing Cobb and Cashner and then using three roster spots for rule 5 picks was pretty schizophrenic. 

41 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

They were, just not in the way the writer implied. ? signing Cobb and Cashner and then using three roster spots for rule 5 picks was pretty schizophrenic. 

3 Rule 5 picks on the 40 man  roster over the winter.   Mesa jr was returned before the season began.   Cortes jr was DFA on April 10th.  So only Araujo sent much time on the O's 25 man roster last year.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

3 Rule 5 picks on the 40 man  roster over the winter.   Mesa jr was returned before the season began.   Cortes jr was DFA on April 10th.  So only Araujo sent much time on the O's 25 man roster last year.

No doubt. But for the amount of time he spent, Cortes did a spectacular amount of damage. I was really surprised how bad he was.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Don’t forget Santander, the 2017 Rule 5 pick who had to spend 44 days on the 2018 roster.   

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

My bad. Two were on 25 man roster to start the season. A pretty weird decision in my opinion that along with decisions like Mike Wright and Tillman contributed directly to the poor start.  

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We will likely keep Arajuo on the roster for 16 days but looking at the young relievers is he that much better than any of them,

Scott, Fry, Yacabonis, Yefry, Carrol, Phillips, Meisenger

I think it’s hard for a reliever when their best pitch is a changeup.  The fastball didn’t seem good enough for him to set up the CU.  The guy has a pretty low ceiling.  True he will have three options, but what good is that if younger players are better.  Look at Jason Garcia.  

He can miss bats though, but that fastball is pretty straight and hitters pick it up pretty well. I think he's worth keeping around for 16 days next year and keep him in the system, but I don't think he's much more than a middle relief guy.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 3:46 PM, wildcard said:

You can't activate some one that is injured.  That was the case with Araujo in September.   This writer ignores that fact.  Here is Roch's blog with Buck stating that Araujo will not be activated for the rest of the 2018 season because he is still injured.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/notes-on-araujo-tonights-game-and-bad-start-to-trip.html

Whether Araujo is kept on the 25 man roster for 17 more days next season is up to Elias.   Seem pretty likely to me.

Araujo never spent even one game rehabbing in the minors in 2018.

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/01/14/baltimore-orioles-prospect-pedro-araujo/

2017 Rule 5 Draft pick Pedro Araujo must remain on the Baltimore Orioles active roster for 14 days in 2019. What is in store for him after he meets that requirement?

On 11/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, NCRaven said:

You're right, he did include a sentence saying that he doubted the Orioles would carry Araujo for the two and a half weeks needed to option him.  I can't imagine that we are so desperate for a 25 man spot for 16 days that we would let him go after carrying him on the roster a large chunk of last year.

That could be the difference between 53 wins and 53 wins.

Seems like kind of a no-brainer to keep him for the 16 days, unless he looks absolutely awful in ST.  One thing that disappointed me was that I seem to recall hearing in ST that he threw 95-96mph, yet when the season started from what I recall he was more around 91-92mph.

19 minutes ago, esmd said:

Seems like kind of a no-brainer to keep him for the 16 days, unless he looks absolutely awful in ST.  One thing that disappointed me was that I seem to recall hearing in ST that he threw 95-96mph, yet when the season started from what I recall he was more around 91-92mph.

The only reason you don't do this is if in your evaluations he's not a major leaguer. While I have concerns over his below average straight fastball, I do think he's worth keeping the system. I don't see the Orioles sending him back for 16 days on a roster on a team that is clearly destined for last place.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only reason you don't do this is if in your evaluations he's not a major leaguer. While I have concerns over his below average straight fastball, I do think he's worth keeping the system. I don't see the Orioles sending him back for 16 days on a roster on a team that is clearly destined for last place.

I agree. The only reason to not keep Araujo is if you need his 40-man spot, not the 25-man spot. The 25-man roster to open the year doesn't really matter. This is a development year. I care far more about what the roster looks like in August and September than in April and May.

I don't think there will be a big need for his 40-man spot given I would give up on Hart, Wright and probably a few others before Araujo.

Archived