Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony, do you think analytics can help Sisco.   Poor bat speed in my way of thinking is mostly caused by two things.

1) Sisco's reactions are just not good enough to hit major league pitching.  If that is true their isn't much to do about it and

2) Poor pitch recognition.  If he can't pick up the spin coming out of the pitcher's hand he will miss pitches by swinging too late or just being indecisive which also results in late swings.

But if the Analytics Department shows him that on 1-1 this pitcher throws a change ups or a two seamers on the outside corner that maybe could help Sisco.  

What do you think?

All but 800 folks worldwide don't have the reactions to hit a MLB  fastball, followed by an MLB breaking pitch. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Tony, do you think analytics can help Sisco.   Poor bat speed in my way of thinking is mostly caused by two things.

1) Sisco's reactions are just not good enough to hit major league pitching.  If that is true their isn't much to do about it and

2) Poor pitch recognition.  If he can't pick up the spin coming out of the pitcher's hand he will miss pitches by swinging too late or just being indecisive which also results in late swings.

But if the Analytics Department shows him that on 1-1 this pitcher throws a change ups or a two seamers on the outside corner that maybe could help Sisco.  

What do you think?

If it can help him "guess" better than perhaps that will help, but good catchers will call a game well enough to pitch away from trends at times, especially if he thinks a hitter is a guess hitter or a guy going off the book.

It will be interesting to watch if/how the analytics help certain hitters next year. I'm as interested in anyone but I don't think analytics is some magic pill that will make all hitters better. 

On 11/27/2018 at 5:40 PM, Can_of_corn said:

How many organizations have you been in where the senior management has long talks about process with line workers?

An interesting post this week as GM closes more plants. Read about the history of the American and Japanese automotive industries and you'll see the value of executives talking to line workers. That is literally fully integrated into their production philosophy. The answer to your question is that good organizations, especially good, modern organizations do this. Especially when the employees are the product. 

21 hours ago, weams said:

All but 800 folks worldwide don't have the reactions to hit a MLB  fastball, followed by an MLB breaking pitch. 

Only a tiny, incredibly small fraction of the people worldwide who can do this ever play a single game of baseball. Even in the US a smaller and smaller percentage of youth play baseball, especially seriously play baseball. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

An interesting post this week as GM closes more plants. Read about the history of the American and Japanese automotive industries and you'll see the value of executives talking to line workers. That is literally fully integrated into their production philosophy. The answer to your question is that good organizations, especially good, modern organizations do this. Especially when the employees are the product. 

The situation is more like that of a well known musical artist working with studio musicians. They may actually even be more creative and technically proficient than the name artist. They get paid to do what they do and are not involved in the finished product. They don't have input. The Engineer or Producer tells them what to do and they get a check. It they do real well they well they get more work. They, like baseball players, have a union. That union negotiates work rules. 

Comparing the entertainment industry to production philosophy is way out of line in my view. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:24 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Sisco will get the benefit of having two new voices has hitting coaches. Plus, John Russel was awesome, but I’m sure the staff will be composed of some former ex-catcher that will also be a new voice. 

His defense doesn’t matter to me. I think that’ll improve with time. What worries me is that he’s getting challenged by MLB pitching and K’ing a ton. 

Like the old baseball adage: "Who cares about defense up the middle?"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, weams said:

The situation is more like that of a well known musical artist working with studio musicians. They may actually even be more creative and technically proficient than the name artist. They get paid to do what they do and are not involved in the finished product. They don't have input. The Engineer or Producer tells them what to do and they get a check. It they do real well they well they get more work. They, like baseball players, have a union. That union negotiates work rules. 

Comparing the entertainment industry to production philosophy is way out of line in my view. 

Totally disagree. You are wrong on many levels. Go back and read the articles about the analytical teams and the importance of communication. The importance of buy in from the players. The importance of a manger who can communicate. You love to say how there are only 800 people in the world that can do this, etc., etc. If you invest tens of millions or even hundreds of millions in the talent, then you have do everything you can to get the most out of the talent. Elias isn't going to get a hit, a strikeout, or turn a double play. You should also go work with some millennials. Today's 20 year olds need to know why. I work with very talented folks in their low to mid 20's everyday. What these folks produce with their talent and hard work, with some guidance from more experienced people, is the most important thing that the organization produces. If you want to get the best from talented young people, then they need to know why and buy in. It's true of non-US "millennials" too. 

p.s. I also encourage you to read about the history of the automotive industry. Your introduction of the union in the communication between management and workers is right out of American automotive history. There basically was no direct communication between management and workers on the line. It is a recipe for failure. This just isn't true of organizations whose "workforce" is talented and the product is based on their creativity.

The successful analytical teams are clearly communicating a lot with their players. They don't give the analyses to the manager to give to the players. They need feedback directly from the players to make this work. Mejdal spent last year working directly with players. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually went back and read @Tony-OH old prospect reports on Sisco in 2014 and 2015. Both times he mentions a lack of bat speed and in one of the articles, mentions how Sisco would have trouble catching up to fastballs in the top ranks.

Tony also mentions how Sisco would mainly go opposite field. I wonder if that was due to bat speed or just the hitting style? 

Let's see if he has a different swing path or stance in the Spring.

• Upvote 1