Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, weams said:

Nope. He has full control of the front office. He may keep Brady because that is what he and ownership agreed to. This guy did not need to come here. He chose to. 

Yup,Brady is like the son-in law that the ownership tells to keep on when they get a new guy in charge.He is family.He came here for the challenge and trying to put an organization together from top to bottom. Guy loves a challenge. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would be unprecedented.

What, that the Orioles won't lose 115 again?  Perhaps not, it was a joke anyway, but anyone with a taste for losing baseball won't be disappointed by the 2019 Orioles.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

If they keep Brady, we will probably never know if it's by the choice of Elias, or if he was told Brady comes with the job.  If it's the latter, then ownership is still not totally letting someone run the show. Of course, if Elias agreed to that, then that's on him. Good luck looking over your shoulders.

(Its all speculation right now)

It is speculation.  Our own biases determine that Brady must go to prove Elias is in control.  But it is almost bizarre to think that Elias agreed to take this job without crossing the Brady and Davis questions in order to flesh out just how much control he would have.  Elias and the Angelosons have stated that he will have full control.  If he exercises that to include Brady then it becomes his responsibility to utilize him and he does so knowing that to some, he would be seen as keeping Brady because he has too.  By the same token, firing him to prove his power, would be somewhat insecure.  I'm fine trusting him to do what is best either way.  The early evidence certainly suggests he wants his own people and I personally wonder if Brady can ever really be that to anyone in Baltimore.  But I am not the one making that call and I feel pretty comfortable saying I don't think it was preordained by the Angelosons.

I think we will see the answer very well over time.

2 hours ago, weams said:

He wasn't told to do anything in my estimation. 

And that's as much of an opinion as what I said.

What's not to like about keeping Brady. He's a smart guy. So smart, he was in favor of giving O'day a contract so bad, the Orioles had to give away Gausman for less value, just to get rid of it 

He was part of giving Mark Trumbo a deal that was such a mistake, it was obvious before the ink on the contract dried.

I suspect he was on favor of a Davis deal if not a part of it.

Dan Duquette was reportedly against all three of those deals. Yet he's unemployed. I liked Brady as a player. Brady the executive is part of why the Orioles are now in rebuild mode.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah....no.  If we're all aboard the Elias train and Elias sees value in Brady, we need to give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Elias is reading OH and is like "Yup, these dorks on a message board want Brady gone, I'm letting him go Friday," then...Elias is a dunce.  And we know Elias is not a dunce.

And if Elias IS reading this....hey man, hit me up.  I'll start off at the lowest rungs of the organization and work my way up.  Seriously, just gimme a shot.  

Obviously...he can keep him if he wishes.  I would like to know if this was a quid pro quo that was discussed in the hiring interview.  Because, if it is just baseball front office talent or knowledge that keeps someone in a job, then how do you fire Dan, Buck, Brian Graham, Gary Rajisch, etc. etc. but keep Brady Anderson?  I mean does he have such above and beyond, special ability that ONLY he can bring it to the organization?  Was he not part of this disaster area over the last two years? No, if he is kept, it is because John and Louis made it clear that he is ownership’s guy and is to be kept on no matter what.  They won’t say it that way and it will never be acknowledged, but I am not buying that Brady has more front office skills and talent than all the guys who have been let go already. 

If he keeps him, I will  wait for the first controversial signing or choice made by Elias and then somehow reports of unnamed sources to national writers of how different ideas are being floated around the Warehouse and to ownership.  Which will be a setback, big time.  Why risk it?  Make a clean break, thank him for his service and move on. 

31 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It is speculation.  Our own biases determine that Brady must go to prove Elias is in control.  But it is almost bizarre to think that Elias agreed to take this job without crossing the Brady and Davis questions in order to flesh out just how much control he would have.  Elias and the Angelosons have stated that he will have full control.  If he exercises that to include Brady then it becomes his responsibility to utilize him and he does so knowing that to some, he would be seen as keeping Brady because he has too.  By the same token, firing him to prove his power, would be somewhat insecure.  I'm fine trusting him to do what is best either way.  The early evidence certainly suggests he wants his own people and I personally wonder if Brady can ever really be that to anyone in Baltimore.  But I am not the one making that call and I feel pretty comfortable saying I don't think it was preordained by the Angelosons.

I think we will see the answer very well over time.

My point is, Brady has done no more to prove his worth than the ones who have already been let go. Other Oriole greats have been in executive positions, and have been fired. 

So I don't believe it's out of respect he's still around. Maybe there is something to the timing of his contract.

5 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

What's not to like about keeping Brady. He's a smart guy. So smart, he was in favor of giving O'day a contract so bad, the Orioles had to give away Gausman for less value, just to get rid of it 

He was part of giving Mark Trumbo a deal that was such a mistake, it was obvious before the ink on the contract dried.

Dan Duquette was reportedly against all three of those deals. Yet he's unemployed. I liked Brady as a player. Brady the executive is part of why the Orioles are now in rebuild mode.

Other than your assumption about Elias, I agree. 

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Some folks loved the Trumbo deal.

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Other than your assumption about Elias, I agree. 

I agree, what I said about Elias is an assumption. But if Brady is kept beyond his contract expiring, it's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

If Brady is such a great baseball mind, why wasn't he named GM? Why haven't other teams been interested? Brady has shown he will not only meddle in executive matters, but go over coaches advice and meddle in player development. 

I just don't see any value in keeping someone like that.

Archived