Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah....no.  If we're all aboard the Elias train and Elias sees value in Brady, we need to give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Elias is reading OH and is like "Yup, these dorks on a message board want Brady gone, I'm letting him go Friday," then...Elias is a dunce.  And we know Elias is not a dunce.

And if Elias IS reading this....hey man, hit me up.  I'll start off at the lowest rungs of the organization and work my way up.  Seriously, just gimme a shot.  

This is where I am until I hear otherwise!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks say things like Brady wanted Trumbo back.

I never recall seeing that.  I remember Brady being part of the negotiations to bring Trumbo back.

The issue I have with Brady isn't that he's incompetent, it is that I am worried he doesn't follow the chain of command and will back channel Elias.

For me Trumbo and Davis were the work of Peter Angelos. It's hard to pin anything on Brady or any other executive based on how Peter constantly meddled.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

For me Trumbo and Davis were the work of Peter Angelos. It's hard to pin anything on Brady or any other executive based on how Peter constantly meddled.

I just somehow doubt that Brady went to Peter and said..."Oh my God, Peter, are you kidding me?  There is no way on God's earth you want to be signing Chris Davis for that length and that amount of money.... you will live to deeply regret it...DON'T DO IT!"     Which is exactly what many of us rank amateurs out here on this board would have said to him if we had a special relationship with him like Brady apparently did.   Now maybe Brady did advocate against it, maybe he was strongly against it, but, if he wasn't, then I would just like to hear him say...."You know what?  That contract I was on board with at the time?   Biggest albatross of a mistake in contract in Orioles history.   What was I thinking?"  

The only reason we can't pin anything on Brady,  or Dan either, was because  they aren't talking and they still aren't about what their recommendation to the owner was.     I know Peter meddled.  But that is irrelevant to my opinion about both Dan and Brady.   What I judge them both on was if they were in favor of doing it.   That's all.  It is a simple question.  Were you in favor and did you recommend to the owner of this team that he sign Chris Davis to the contract that he received?     For all the blame, and rightly so, placed on Peter as the ultimate decision maker, you do not know that he was not pushed hard by Brady, his trusted, close, former player confidant,  to do it.  

51 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I just somehow doubt that Brady went to Peter and said..."Oh my God, Peter, are you kidding me?  There is no way on God's earth you want to be signing Chris Davis for that length and that amount of money.... you will live to deeply regret it...DON'T DO IT!"     Which is exactly what many of us rank amateurs out here on this board would have said to him if we had a special relationship with him like Brady apparently did.   Now maybe Brady did advocate against it, maybe he was strongly against it, but, if he wasn't, then I would just like to hear him say...."You know what?  That contract I was on board with at the time?   Biggest albatross of a mistake in contract in Orioles history.   What was I thinking?"  

The only reason we can't pin anything on Brady,  or Dan either, was because  they aren't talking and they still aren't about what their recommendation to the owner was.     I know Peter meddled.  But that is irrelevant to my opinion about both Dan and Brady.   What I judge them both on was if they were in favor of doing it.   That's all.  It is a simple question.  Were you in favor and did you recommend to the owner of this team that he sign Chris Davis to the contract that he received?     For all the blame, and rightly so, placed on Peter as the ultimate decision maker, you do not know that he was not pushed hard by Brady, his trusted, close, former player confidant,  to do it.  

Nor do we know that he was.    We do know that Anderson believed we shouldn’t let players get to free agency if the team wants to keep them.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-vp-brady-anderson-says-orioles-need-to-act-sooner-to-extend-contracts-with-own-players-20151212-story,amp.html

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nor do we know that he was.    We do know that Anderson believed we shouldn’t let players get to free agency if the team wants to keep them.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-vp-brady-anderson-says-orioles-need-to-act-sooner-to-extend-contracts-with-own-players-20151212-story,amp.html

That quote led to a temporary swell of Brady support around here, if I recall. Because everyone was so fed up with the lack of extending our good players. It wasn't until the Ken expose that folks started to tilt the other way. 

Hence the existence of conflicted Brady feelings.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I would expect DD and Brady to keep quiet if PA was the force behind the Davis and Trumbo signings. The last thing you want when looking for a new job is the reputation that you spill the beans about the inside operations and things that make your former boss look not so favorable. 

2 minutes ago, Bird Lover said:

I would expect DD and Brady to keep quiet if PA was the force behind the Davis and Trumbo signings. The last thing you want when looking for a new job is the reputation that you spill the beans about the inside operations and things that make your former boss look not so favorable. 

Yes, which enables those who see Peter as the only decision maker to give passes to everyone else.  But I suspect Dan might be a little more forthcoming about the inner workings, including the influence of Brady and Buck,  if he is out of work for awhile. 

We shall see, but, mainly, as I have said, I just want a clean slate for a new era and to me that does not include Brady Anderson as a VP. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, which enables those who see Peter as the only decision maker to give passes to everyone else.  But I suspect Dan might be a little more forthcoming about the inner workings, including the influence of Brady and Buck,  if he is out of work for awhile. 

We shall see, but, mainly, as I have said, I just want a clean slate for a new era and to me that does not include Brady Anderson as a VP. 

I'm sure they all signed NDAs at hiring in which they agreed to never disclose the inner workings of the club or say negative things about it.

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, maybe we're wrong and Brady is actually a competent guy and Elias sees value in him?  It's possible.  And then if he keeps Brady on, do we give Elias the benefit of the doubt or is that strike one against him?  

Waiting for Frobby to tell us how bored he is of this :skeletor:

Toss up. 

17 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s an echo chamber on here about Brady Anderson ... I don’t think any of it’s warranted. I’m not sure where anyone gets it that Brady is the root of all evil and is ruining this franchise. 

He is a root of all evil. If he can't follow the chain of command then that's bad.  I think if DD was his boss and Brady went to Peter Angelos behind DD's back. Then he is a back stabber. I don't trust Brady. 

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's certainly been doing things.

17 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Really? Like what? Seriously, I have no idea what he does other than sort of organization odd jobs that don't seem to lead anywhere, nor seem tied to any larger mission. 

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't being complimentary.

But to give you a real answer , we do know that he has been involved in contract negotiations.

As published in the media, here are the "facts" on Brady Anderson's activities while serving as the Orioles's Vice President of Baseball Operations:
Ran "Camp Brady" in the off-season for players in the O's organization (and others)
Coached players on personalized exercise regimens
Coached players on "proper" nutrition
Instrumental in establishing "nutritional menus" for organization-supplied meals
Provided one-on-one batting and base-running coaching to some O's players
Assisted with off-season free-agent recruitment by meeting with "targeted" players

Can anyone provide "facts" that support the notion(s) that any of these activities were undertaken without the direction/approval of Dan Duquette and, where appropriate, Buck Showalter?

18 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s an echo chamber on here about Brady Anderson ... I don’t think any of it’s warranted. I’m not sure where anyone gets it that Brady is the root of all evil and is ruining this franchise. 

I doubt Dan Duquette was the complete root of the problem either. Nor Buck...nor Brian Graham. I think you see where I'm going.

13 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I have 2 thoughts on what's going on with Brady.

First, it's clear Brady Anderson is a talented individual. You don't stick around for as long as he did with an evolving responsibility set if you're not talented. I'll never agree with anybody here that calls him incompetent. Listening to the man speak when he would be on 105.7/1090, it was very clear that not only was Brady a student of the game, but one that started evolving with it. I recall at least a few occasions where he was talking the talk re: sabermetrics. There are players (both former and current) that buy into it, and I think Brady is a sharp enough fellow to have the business smarts and the player smarts to put it together.

I think Brady is a well liked individual because he is certainly capable. I don't take what Elias said about Brady lightly. It wasn't just a one off sentence that provided cover for him. No, it was a slew of sentences praising the capability of him.

Now, to that end...let's look at this from an ownership perspective. Guys like Duquette, Rajsich and Graham...not exactly household names for Orioles fans young and old. However, players like Ripken, Robinson, Palmer and, yes, Brady Anderson...these are all Baltimore household names. We've seen over the years that the club (generally speaking) takes care of its icons. So it's very possible that Elias *may* want to get his own guys (and let Anderson go), but ownership let Elias know how valued Anderson is as a former star for the O's who has put pretty much his entire life into the Orioles as a player and as an executive type. So, it's possible they told Elias to give Brady x number of months, to work out a possible role, but if at the end of that time period it's not working out and/or the role/responsibilities isn't in line with what Elias and Brady want...then to have a proper sendoff instead of letting him go prior to the holidays.

So, yeah. I like Anderson a lot. I also want Elias to hire and run the organization as he deems fit. If we're looking at how things are going now: Duquette gone, Showalter gone, Rajsich gone, Graham gone, Elias hired, Mejdal hired on and new job postings around expanding the analytics department...we're seeing true movement that we really haven't seen before. Yes, Anderson is left, but if we're going to bugaboo the organization/Elias because Anderson is still around...then you're not paying attention and/or you have some form of Angelos PTSD.

I have all the faith in the world of Elias and the Angelos sons are starting to gain my respect, too. And if, say, come April Anderson is still around...maybe people should just accept the fact that Anderson is perhaps a valuable asset regardless of the regime in office.

Fin.

Mike Flanagan did more as an Oriole than Brady. Didn't stop them from throwing him out the door.

Archived