Thoughts about David Hess in 2019?

Frobby

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    We need to do well with the draft in general, no matter where we pick.   We need to get into the international market.   We need to make some good trades.   We need to develop some guys who are here already.   We need to sign some key free agents at the right time.    If we do all those things well, maybe we’ll be a winning team by 2022.    But, we may not do all those things well, or we may get unlucky, and it may take longer.   

The general formula today seems to be build your position player roster first and then add pitching. 

As we know from all the data and the FA market youth is where it is at. 

Have to hope we hit on 1-2 starters in house when our position players are ready to hit. Then some of the arms like a Hess can be moved to the pen. First thing is to build a strong position player core. 

The Brewers are the one team that has done it in a different kind of a way, a little bit like the 12-16 Orioles. Even those teams were built position player first. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

3 of the 4 runs that Hess ceded were unearned.

He needed to throw a lot of pitches to record only 13 outs, albeit with several errors committed by the defense (including one of his own.)

13 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 3 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Flyouts, 1 Out Trying to Steal Home Plate

DAVIJAMEHESS  ))))))) (vs. WHITE SOX, 5/01) )))))) [Game One]

IP:ll4.33

H:lll 4 ))(1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:llll 4

ER:ll1

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l 96(58 )Strikes, )38 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.34  )  30.33 IP  (18 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.253  )  30.33 IP  (38 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .244  )  (29 for 119)

PITCHES BY INNING

22 ll(12 llStrikes, .10 llllllBalls)

19 ll(12 llStrikes, lll71 lllBalls)

30 ll(17 llStrikes, ll13 llllllBalls)

13 ll(81 llStrikes, llll51 lllBalls)

12 ll(91 llStrikes, llll31 lllBalls) ) *

* )) Hess recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

o

4 free passes (all Walks) in only 4 Innings Pitched ........ in fact, Hess ceded more Walks than he did hits (3.)

12 OUTS: ) 5 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

DAVIJAMEHESS  ))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 5/07)

IP:ll4

H:lll 3 ))(2 Home Runs, 1 Single)

R:llll 3

BB:l4

SO:l5

Pitches: )l 92(53 )Strikes, )39 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.50  )  34.33 IP  (21 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.311  )  34.33 IP  (45 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .241  )  (32 for 133)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 ll(12 llStrikes, lll81 lllBalls)

17 ll(10 llStrikes, llll71 lllBalls)

29 ll(17 llStrikes, l12 llllllBalls)

26 ll(14 llStrikes, ll12 llllllBalls)

o

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not a great outing, but he battled and kept us in the game.   That play by Davis kept the game close for Hess.   

Seems like his command was the thing he battled most. Four BB in 4IP kinda sucks. Seven base runners and two HRs allowed. Ninety-two pitches. In four innings. 

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A mop up or AAAA pitcher is Hess’ ceiling. 

This seems like a super overreaction to not nearly enough data on a horribly miscast pitcher.

Hess is not being given any favors as a starter right now.  He does not have the tools for a second go through the lineup.  He is however doing well over the course of the season with his first trip through the lineup (ERA is a little high on account of his 20% HR/FB).  He has a decent fastball (93mph) and can keep hitters off balance enough.

1st time:  4.70 ERA, .217/.254/.483

2nd time:  9.00 ERA, .314/.386/.765

In the best case scenario the Orioles would be able to give him more tools in AAA.  Flesh out his sinker or work on his command up in the zone to reduce HRs and really build those secondary pitches. 

If this roster weren't so depleted I think he could be doing what Walden is doing, pitching in long relief with 3 or 4 wins.  

I think it's interesting how they used Hess for the, what, one day he was in the bullpen.  He was warming with the O's up 2-1 and then Fry gave up a 2 run HR (to a right handed batter that I was sure Hess was going to come in to face) and then Hess sat down never to return again.  I wonder what role they envision for him in the bullpen - which is where his (successful) future probably lies.

8 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

His first 25 pitches and the firrst time through the order is when David Hess is at his best.  Would that not scream "OPENER".

Sounds like he'd make a great opener.

If you meant it doesn't sound like he'd benefit from an opener I don't see why not, he's still going to be throwing those first 25 pitches, it would just be in the third-four inning instead of the first-second.

Unless you are suggesting that Hess would be superior to any opener since he's so strong out of the gate? 

Brandon Hyde should know by now that David Hess is undependable.

if Hyde isn’t prepared to pull him at every point, he should be given a stern lecture.

The bullpen should be warming soon and quickly.

I expect that Hess will give up two home runs in the first two innings.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. YANKEES, 5/21)

Hess gave up 3 Runs, 3 Hits (1 Home Runs and 2 Singles), and 1 Walk ........ in the 1st inning.

He may settle in from the 2nd inning onward, but that was an unfavorable start to the game for the Orange-and-Black.

o