Thoughts about David Hess in 2019?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Hess is not a major league quality starter. He's like Tyler Wilson, Jason Berken, Steve Johnson, etc.  I would be okay with him as the 7th or 8th starter on the team if wins and losses mattered. 

This is my general feeling as well. He may surprise us every once and awhile but ultimately I think he is a stopgap cheap arm until the real talent shows up. It’s a good opportunity for him here. He may even be a millionaire one day.

51 minutes ago, oriole said:

This is my general feeling as well. He may surprise us every once and awhile but ultimately I think he is a stopgap cheap arm until the real talent shows up. It’s a good opportunity for him here. He may even be a millionaire one day.

So he had 15 starts of under 3.30 era. And a middle 10 that was not so good while he learned and dealt with teams adjusting. I have no idea what he will ge long term ....but he's earned a season of starts imo to prove what he can do

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

He and one or two other pitchers on this team could probably benefit from having an opener (hard-throwing reliever) face the first six guys in the lineup. He comes in to face the bottom of the order and gets his feet under himself in a non-pressure situation.

Great! Now the Orioles just need a pitcher who can start a game with six consecutive outs.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

So he had 15 starts of under 3.30 era. And a middle 10 that was not so good while he learned and dealt with teams adjusting. I have no idea what he will ge long term ....but he's earned a season of starts imo to prove what he can do

A "season of starts!?!" How about two months of starts? That seems more than fair. He is not someone the team needs to dedicate 30 starts to. If he is succeeding, let him keep starting, sure. If he is failing, there are other pitchers who will need evaluation at the MLB level.

I’ll take 180 IP and a sub 5.00 ERA with the season we are about to have. 

We have to remember is the bullpen is likely going to be pretty bad again, compared to our winning years, and I don’t see a manager trying to go all out to “win” every game. So I think the starters might give up some runs that they may have been spared from in the past. 

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree, I just don't see any reason to think he's going to be a good starter.  He's got similar stuff to what @luismatos4prez said, Tyler Wilson, Berken...any of the nameless/faceless interchangeable 4.75+ ERA  guys we've brought up over the past 15 years who the MASN announcers have tried to be kind to.  

8 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

A "season of starts!?!" How about two months of starts? That seems more than fair. He is not someone the team needs to dedicate 30 starts to. If he is succeeding, let him keep starting, sure. If he is failing, there are other pitchers who will need evaluation at the MLB level.

We're going to have a hard time filling out a starting rotation.  It's Bundy and 4 JAGS...and, IMO, Bundy is a JAG, too.  Might as well give Hess as much time as he needs to figure stuff out at the ML level, there's no real reason not to, even though I think his stuff is average and he's not a long term solution.  I can't think of a starter in the system at the higher levels that absolutely NEEDS to be evaluated.  Although we've got a whole offseason ahead to acquire some other arms.  

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I go into the season with the following

#1 Bundy

#2 Cobb

#3 Cashner

Then use final two spots for an opener combo to try and get through 5-6 innings

#4 Hess/Yefi

#5 Yac/Means

Castro and Rogers are candidates for those final two spots two.

I know I just said Bundy and 4 JAGS....I honestly completely forgot about Cobb and Cashner.  I sat here for like 2 minutes trying to remember who else the Orioles had in the rotation this year.  I'm glad I forgot.

But yeah, like I said....Bundy and 4 JAGS.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know I just said Bundy and 4 JAGS....I honestly completely forgot about Cobb and Cashner.  I sat here for like 2 minutes trying to remember who else the Orioles had in the rotation this year.  I'm glad I forgot.

But yeah, like I said....Bundy and 4 JAGS.

You're in mid season form and it's not even Christmas, lol.

• Haha 1