Thoughts about David Hess in 2019?

Frobby

Random topic for a slow day.   David Hess looked pretty good at times in 2018, pretty bad at other times.

First 5 games: 3.07 ERA, 1.19 WHIP

Next 7 games: 10.50 ERA, 1.96 WHIP

Final 9 games: 3.24 ERA, 1.22 WHIP

Overall: 4.88 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

My sense is, his overall stat line is pretty indicative of who he is.    Not horrible for a back-end starter, but not likely to progress far beyond that.   

Am I being too harsh here?    Too generous?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Random topic for a slow day.   David Hess looked pretty good at times in 2018, pretty bad at other times.

My sense is, his overall stat line is pretty indicative of who he is.    Not horrible for a back-end starter, but not likely to progress far beyond that.   

Best ERA of any Oriole starter last season!

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You said last year he was a bullpen arm, right? Keep the bar low for my boy Hess and he will keep proving you wrong.

45 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

You said last year he was a bullpen arm, right? Keep the bar low for my boy Hess and he will keep proving you wrong.

Not exactly.     Here's a link to everything I've said about Hess in the last 12 months:  http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=hess&page=1&author=Frobby&search_and_or=or&start_after=year

I think it's fair to say that I've been squarely on the fence about Hess, and I've kept an open mind at all times.   I did say, before last season started, that I thought it was "more likely that Hess turns out to be a reliever at the big league level," but wanted him used as a starter at Norfolk to see how he developed, noting that he made progress in the second half of 2017.    You can see that this is the only time I ever made a mention of Hess and the bullpen, and it was in reaction to some people wanting to convert Hess to the bullpen at the outset of the 2017 season, which I was against.

So am I convinced that Hess will do well enough to stay in the rotation long term?    No, but I'm not convinced he won't, either.    And if that's wishy-washy, so be it.    As I said in the OP, Hess' performance has been kind of up and down, and I can't quite tell where he's going to land.   I hope you are right and that he turns into a reliable starter.   But I won't consider that to be "proving [me] wrong," because I've never been very sure either way.

• Upvote 1

Hess was better than I thought  he would be.   He progressed in the 2nd half.   He is currently the O's 3rd best starter.   Probably 5th on a good team.

Let's see if he can do what he did in the 2nd half for a full season.  He has earned the chance to try.  And let's see if the O's put a decent defensive team on the field to back him up.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like his curveball. Interested to see how he does. The fact that he seemed to adjust is promising and pretty much what he's done at every level, no?

Ceiling is a Bud Norris good year.

I had started to type the same thing!

• Upvote 1