Matt Wieters

Dark Helmet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok I'll play this game. Which of the following catchers is he noticeably better than? If they're going to spend money on a catcher (which I don't think they should do) I'd much rather see them sign someone who at least has some upside.

It’s not just who is he better than, it’s what would he or another catcher cost?    I’m pretty sure Grandal and Wieters won’t be paid the same.    

There is probably some price at which Wieters would make sense. But that price is pretty low considering that the O’s are in rebuilding mode.   And if they want to sign a FA catcher, there may well be someone who’s a better fit. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I looked at this a few hours ago.   The last five years, catcher OPS has ranged between .682 and .726.  Wieters has been at .702 in that period, so about average for a catcher.    Of course, the averages include both the starters and the backups.    I suspect Wieters would be below average for a starting catcher.   

That was my takeaway too. You also have to assume that at 33 he's on the decline. 

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s not just who is he better than, it’s what would he or another catcher cost?    I’m pretty sure Grandal and Wieters won’t be paid the same.    

There is probably some price at which Wieters would make sense. But that price is pretty low considering that the O’s are in rebuilding mode.   And if they want to sign a FA catcher, there may well be someone who’s a better fit. 

It appears that Francisco Pena is available again. 

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was replying to someone else, not you. If we're only allowed to disagree with your general point of view one time then one of the Mods should probably lock this thread because literally 90% of the replies are from members who are against bringing back Wieters. 

My mistake then.  You're definitely allowed to disagree with me. It's just more about nostalgia to me. Obviously, I'm more familiar with Matt than other FA catchers on the market. I know what Matt can offer on and off the field. I'd like a veteran backup if they are going with Sisco or Wynns as the starter. I feel Matt can put up a 700+ OPS and still offers decent defense. He's coming off his career best OBP I believe at .330.

I'm good without Matt too. Juat a topic for conversation.  It much else going on to discuss right now.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Of course! But we aren't even mentioning the other options. Nothing about Wieters separates him from the pack. Whether it's conscious or subconscious the only reason we're mentioning him and none of the other free agent catcher is because he's a former Oriole and we're somewhat familiar with him. If Wieters had spent his entire career with the Nationals (posting the same numbers) would anyone be suggesting that we sign him? 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Of course! But we aren't even mentioning the other options. Nothing about Wieters separates him from the pack. Whether it's conscious or subconscious the only reason we're mentioning him and none of the other free agent catcher is because he's a former Oriole and we're somewhat familiar with him. If Wieters had spent his entire career with the Nationals (posting the same numbers) would anyone be suggesting that we sign him? 

I don’t know.    Put it this way: I’m not against signing Matt Wieters just because he’s a former Oriole.   Do I think he should get any preference compared to others who never played here?   No.   But if people want to discuss if he might make sense here, rather than discussing some similar catcher who they don’t really know, I can’t say it bothers me.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am sure he would be available if anyone was interested.

I actually think O'Day will be pretty effective for the Braves if he's healthy. He'll be facing a whole new group of hitters in the NL who will have to learn to time his quirky delivery / arm angle. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok I'll play this game. Which of the following catchers is he noticeably better than? If they're going to spend money on a catcher (which I don't think they should do) I'd much rather see them sign someone who at least has some upside. Again, I really think signing any of these guys (Wieters included) is a compete waste of money. They should go with who they have on their roster and if it doesn't work out address it during the season. 

Catchers
Yasmani Grandal (30 years old, 3.6 WAR)
Wilson Ramos (31, 2.4)
Kurt Suzuki (35, 2.0) -- Signed 2-year deal with WSH (11/20).
Robinson Chirinos (35, 1.6) -- Agreed to 1-year deal with HOU (12/4).
Martin Maldonado (32, 0.9)
Nick Hundley (35, 0.9)
Matt Wieters (33, 0.9)
A.J. Ellis (38, 0.8)
Devin Mesoraco (31, 0.7) -
Jonathan Lucroy (33, 0.6)
Chris Herrmann (31, 0.6) -- non-tendered
Brian McCann (35, 0.5) -- Signed 1-year deal with ATL (11/26).
Rene Rivera (35, 0.3)
Juan Graterol, C (29, 0.1) -- non-tendered
Caleb Joseph (32, 0.0) -- non-tendered
James McCann (28, -0.1) -- non-tendered
Chris Stewart (37, -0.1)
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (34, -0.2)
Jose Lobaton (34, -0.3)
Drew Butera (35, -0.3)
Jeff Mathis (36, -0.5) -- Signed 2-year deal with TEX (11/19).
Bobby Wilson (36, -0.5)
Stephen Vogt (34, N/A) -- Didn't appear in the Majors in 2018.

I said he should be signed for leadership and mentoring and working with pitchers.  We aren't going to be in contention next year. I am not sure why you are listing every free agent catcher. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.    Put it this way: I’m not against signing Matt Wieters just because he’s a former Oriole.   Do I think he should get any preference compared to others who never played here?   No.   But if people want to discuss if he might make sense here, rather than discussing some similar catcher who they don’t really know, I can’t say it bothers me.

I would only want him signed at 700k.

Archived