New manager

Rene88

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike needs to add another Mike to the organization. His name is Mike Bell as you already know. Resume speaks for itself. 

We have to give him a bigger title to land him. I agree Director of Player Development sounds better than manager. It can't be the same title he has in Arizona.

7 minutes ago, section18 said:

Mike needs to add another Mike to the organization. His name is Mike Bell as you already know. Resume speaks for itself. 

We have to give him a bigger title to land him. I agree Director of Player Development sounds better than manager. It can't be the same title he has in Arizona.

They probably wouldn't let him leave for a job with the same title.

2 hours ago, section18 said:

Don't we already have DDP? Isn't that Mijdal? 

Hale is the only one in the group with major league managing experience, guiding the Diamondbacks from 2015-16 and compiling a 148-176 record. He’s also managed Triple-A Tucson for three seasons and served as a coach in the Diamondbacks, Mets and Athletics organizations before joining the Nats in November 2017.

Meeting with reporters at today’s Nationals Winterfest, Hale only confirmed his interest in managing the Orioles. He hasn’t been interviewed.

“Let’s just put it this way, there’s 30 jobs, you know? And if you get the opportunity, it’s a blessing,” he said.

“With all the turnover this year, I had not interviewed yet. I have a great job here. I love it. But if you get the opportunity to talk to somebody and meet some new people, it’d be a great opportunity. So, that’s pretty much all I’ll say on that.”

Asked about the appeal of being thrust into a rebuild, Hale replied, “I think that we always talk about rebuild or reboot or whatever you want to call it. For example, I was in Oakland and everyone felt like that was going to be a long, tenuous rebuild, and guess what? They’re in the playoffs. Anywhere I am, whether it’s here or anywhere in baseball, as a manager your job is to work that room and win as many games as you can. So, that’s really the mindset I’ve always had.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/12/latest-reports-on-orioles-managerial-search.html

There are a number of candidates it appears. Hale has a great attitude.  Has there been a year where we didn't think the GM at Oakland was rebuilding? They are a winning team every year and in the playoffs..  He mentions his time in Oakland. I'm another one who doesn't think we are going to be in a 4-5 year rebuild.  There are some on here that say this almost every day.  Elias can turn this team around in less time in my opinion. This first season will tell us a lot about our predictions. How many free agents will he sign, if any, and how many trades will he make? No mention of Espada yet. Are Acta and Gonzalez being considered?

14 minutes ago, section18 said:

There are a number of candidates it appears. Hale has a great attitude.  Has there been a year where we didn't think the GM at Oakland was rebuilding? They are a winning team every year.  I'm another one who doesn't think we are going to be in a 4-5 year rebuild.  There are some on here that say this almost every day.  Elias can turn this team around in less time in my opinion. This first season will tell us a lot about our predictions. How many free agents will he sign, if any, and how many trades will he make? No mention of Espada yet. Are Acta and Gonzalez being considered?

Going to be tough rowing in the AL East.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:37 AM, Frobby said:

From his bio, I might like Mike Bell as director of player development more than as manager.    Of course, he might need to be more than that, in order for us to get permission to interview him.   

I thought I had read that Elias had stated his first order of business was hiring a manager.  He stated he wanted the manager to pick his staff and the minor league mangers, which at the time sounded funny to me .  A Bell hiring may bring a wider role than the typically MLB manager where from top to bottom all the staff’s are on the same page.  Sounds like a good plan

Archived