Would Eliminating the Shift Take a Bite out of Analytics?

Brion McClanahan

The Astros utilized the shift more than any other team in baseball. This strategy was based entirely on analytics. Would eliminating the shift hinder an analytic approach to the game? I know the shift is not the only component of analytics, but my concern is that the Os are getting involved late in the game and unless the wiz kid and his NASA genius are already exploring the new frontier in roster construction, the analytics approach could be yesterday's news.

On the other hand, because the Os never used analytics, perhaps they would be ahead of the curve in the new frontier without it. We've had several years of drafts with shifts and the current analytic approach to roster construction in mind. The Os never really embraced analytics at any level.

And are analytics a bit overrated? Are platoons not analytics? How about Cal's positioning at SS before it became trendy to talk about pitchers moving infielders around? How about Davey Johnson playing Reboulet against Randy Johnson and smacking a HR in the playoffs because of his history against Randy Johnson. Is that not analytics?

There have always been smart managers or players who used some rough form of analytics to inform their strategy and tactics.    But it has become more systematic, more in depth and more widespread.   Bottom line, a team that has more information than its competition and knows how to use it always has an advantage over its’ opponents.   Shifting is one example but there are undoubtedly dozens of ways that analytics can be used to make better decisions and help players improve their games.    

Analytics and Big Data are not just a play-by-play anomaly nor is it limited to baseball. We live in a world were we can get data on everything and anything. Analytics is just about synthesizing that data into usable metrics and information that can actioned.

Data and information has always been used in baseball and anything else. This analytics movement and bulking up of analytics departments in the game is simply about using that information better rather than relying on intuition and perception of people. That's when recency bias and preconceived notions and lead to decisions that are ultimately not in the best interest of the team. Shifts are a result in the increase in data and analytics, but it's a tiny sliver of the impact that a bulked up analytics department can have.

Positioning and shifts on their own are not analytics, but in today's game they're driven by analytics, sure.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't understand how they could remove shifts.   Would they create a box for each infielder so that they would have to position themselves within it?   

I think it's crazy that they are even contemplating this.  Like @pastorfan said...it's a game of adjustments.   If you don't adjust, that's on you.

The wouldn't eliminate shifts, but merely limit them. Forcing two infielders on each side of second base or something of that sort. I still think this is more fodder for talk radio and message boards like this than anything the league would actually adopt anytime soon.

34 minutes ago, Brion McClanahan said:

The Astros utilized the shift more than any other team in baseball. This strategy was based entirely on analytics. Would eliminating the shift hinder an analytic approach to the game? I know the shift is not the only component of analytics, but my concern is that the Os are getting involved late in the game and unless the wiz kid and his NASA genius are already exploring the new frontier in roster construction, the analytics approach could be yesterday's news.

On the other hand, because the Os never used analytics, perhaps they would be ahead of the curve in the new frontier without it. We've had several years of drafts with shifts and the current analytic approach to roster construction in mind. The Os never really embraced analytics at any level.

And are analytics a bit overrated? Are platoons not analytics? How about Cal's positioning at SS before it became trendy to talk about pitchers moving infielders around? How about Davey Johnson playing Reboulet against Randy Johnson and smacking a HR in the playoffs because of his history against Randy Johnson. Is that not analytics?

In other words, the Orioles haven't always been the sharpest tool in the shed.  So let's see if we can modify the game to eliminate the advantages inherent in being smart.

I know I'd rather the Orioles continue the very recent trend of hiring smart people.

16 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't understand how they could remove shifts.   Would they create a box for each infielder so that they would have to position themselves within it?   

I think it's crazy that they are even contemplating this.  Like @pastorfan said...it's a game of adjustments.   If you don't adjust, that's on you.

If teams find shifts unappealing, or detrimental to their offensive strategy there's a simple solution: Select batters who don't pull the ball all the time and the shift becomes unproductive.  

I thought baseball really sold not changing the rules every year for no real reason as a feature.  Eliminating the shift is saying "I've grown comfortable with my strategy of ultra-pull hitters.  Please modify the rules to keep me comfortable and make my strategy productive.  I don't like change."

Archived