Tulo?

interloper

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It can be liberating to just not care how many games you win.  It's not crazy to think they could sign Tulowitzki to a 1/1 kind of contract maybe with some incentives.  if he happens to be pretty good then they trade him in June or July for a prospect.  If he's not any good, oh well... you weren't going to win anything anyway.  Can you find better ways of trying obtaining a prospect for $1M or so?  Maybe.

Question:   he will be paid the $34 million no matter what happens.   If we sign him to 1/1, Toronto pays him $16 million this year and $17 million next year.

If we sign him to 1/$2, Toronto pays him $15 million this year and $17 million next year.

Am I right about that?

So what leverage do we have to get him to come here?   He can sign for the league minimum (whatever that is for a vet his age) or a team could sign him for $10 million, and he would still get the same amount of money, right?

So for him to come here Baltimore would have to be:

A.  The ONLY team interested in giving him a major league contract

or

B.  The one team he MOST wants to play out of the X number of teams willing to give him a ML contract.

Doesn't seem likely to me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, interloper said:

I am endlessly fascinated by people who think we should just cut Davis' $90 million salary right now. When has that ever happened to a healthy player?

It would be like when we extended Adam Jones for $90 million, the biggest extension in Orioles history, but then immediately released him. It's nearly One Hundred Million Dollars that you just flush down the toilet and the player is in his early 30s and healthy. It's not going to happen folks! It would be unprecedented! I get that he sucks and is likely to never be good again. But you wait AT LEAST one more year, and almost certainly two more years.

His suckitude is unprecedented for a highly paid player.   So sure, there's no precedent for a guy with that much owed being released.   But there's also no precedent for a guy with that much owed being as BAD as Davis has been.

42 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

This is what I don't understand. A segment of fans seem to want to spend money to minimize losses net season. I don't see a nickels worth of difference between 105 losses and 95. Play the young guys and coach em up. Weed out the AAAA guys and pretenders and compete, in 3-4 years.

Yep, the only reason to spend money for next year is to put major league players or borderline major league players at positions where we have no ML players, and where the guys in our system who play the position shouldn't be rushed.   I can see us signing a retread starting pitcher or two if Elias feels that none of the prospects in our system should come up this coming season, and the only alternative is having Wright and Yacobonis in the rotation.

55 minutes ago, o'sfansince1970 said:

This is what I don't understand. A segment of fans seem to want to spend money to minimize losses net season. I don't see a nickels worth of difference between 105 losses and 95. Play the young guys and coach em up. Weed out the AAAA guys and pretenders and compete, in 3-4 years.

I agree 100%. The whole purpose of this season should be to see what we have to work with so we have a better sense of our long term needs by the end of the season. That's not going to happen if we sign middling free agents to steal at bats from our young players. It's also a waste o money. Money we'd be better served investing in the infrastructure of the team. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So apparently it is possible to just eat a huge contractual commitment when you’ve concluded that a player has nothing left to contribute.   Keep that memo on file.....

Does that apply to contracts where the amount remaining to be eaten would be the largest contract in franchise history?  (I mean, sure it's technically possible to eat any contract.)

I know I haven't been paying a lot of attention lately, but isn't it still true that the 2nd-largest contract in O's history is Miguel Tejada's $72M deal, and they still owe Davis something like $100M?  That's good stuff.

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Question:   he will be paid the $34 million no matter what happens.   If we sign him to 1/1, Toronto pays him $16 million this year and $17 million next year.

If we sign him to 1/$2, Toronto pays him $15 million this year and $17 million next year.

Am I right about that?

So what leverage do we have to get him to come here?   He can sign for the league minimum (whatever that is for a vet his age) or a team could sign him for $10 million, and he would still get the same amount of money, right?

So for him to come here Baltimore would have to be:

A.  The ONLY team interested in giving him a major league contract

or

B.  The one team he MOST wants to play out of the X number of teams willing to give him a ML contract.

Doesn't seem likely to me.

My understanding is the same as yours.  The only reason to offer more than the league minimum would be that you want to do Toronto a favor and lower what they have to pay.  As to possible reasons that Tulo might want to sign with the Orioles, I suppose it would be possible that he might view Baltimore as his best shot at a starting role.  Doesn't cost much to give him a shot at making the team in spring training.  Don't know if this is the type of move we should be looking at, but the risk would be low.  

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree 100%. The whole purpose of this season should be to see what we have to work with so we have a better sense of our long term needs by the end of the season. That's not going to happen if we sign middling free agents to steal at bats from our young players. It's also a waste o money. Money we'd be better served investing in the infrastructure of the team. 

I agree that we don't want to be blocking young players that are ready to take a shot at playing in the majors, but rushing players that aren't quite ready can hurt their development.  I see nothing wrong with low-cot signings to fill positions that we don't have any young players ready to step in.

1) Elias has said he is going to sign a middle infielder.

2) Villar is better at 2B than SS.  And if he is traded Valera or Wilkerson will step into the 2B job.

3) Both Valera and Wilkerson will play 2019 at 27 and are projected to be utility players. 

Why did the Jays release Tolo?   Bo Bichette is the #8 prospect in baseball might have something to do with that.

The last time Tolo was healthy his defense was about average.  If he will be healthy sometime this season he could be the middle infielder Elias needs and he could be signed for the minimum.

Why would Tolo come to the O's?  The O's have a opening at SS.  Its one or the best parks to hit in all of baseball.   Pitchers if they have a choice don't come to Camden unless overpaid.  Hitters look forward to coming to Camden Yards.

If his medicals look too bad the O's have to pass.

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yeah, but Tulo's contract is like a snake swallowing a cow. Davis is more like a snake swallowing an elephant. 

The Jays must have REALLY been down on Tulo because I think they had a very affordable buy out option coming up in a few years. 

O'day? Could have gotten a better return for Gausman then. 

Archived