Tulo?

interloper

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Number5 said:

Yeah, I'm not pushing for Tulo.  I'm just saying that if Eias decides to offer him a contract, money won't be the deciding factor for Tulo and it would seem that the only selling point if the Orioles do make an offer would appear to be the possibility that he could see more playing time in Baltimore than elsewhere.  I don't however, see Tulo at the minimum as being a poor risk, and he really wouldn't be blocking anyone in 2019, so I'd have no problem if Elias does make him an offer.  

I have no problem with Elias offering Tulo a 2 year cheap deal to bridge the gap, if he wants to, I dont see it happening.

I think Elias is an unknown to us fans at this point, we really dont know how he plans to rebuild.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree with this to an extent. Of the teams that attended his workout  the Orioles, Padres, Pirates, and Tigers are the only ones with an immediate need for a full time SS. If Tulo considers shifting to 3B then you can add the White Sox and Agels to that list. And of course, the other teams could trade players to make room for Tulo. For example, I imagine the Cubs are at their wits end with Russell. I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked around the idea of trading Russell and signing Tulo. It's also been reported that Tulo prefers to play on the West Coast so location doesn't work in the Orioles favor. If he insists on playing SS then the Padres seem the most likely landing spot to me. And that's only if they think Tatis needs another year of seasoning. 

Yeah, if the opportunity for playing time with a winning team and/or a team that meets Tulo's geographic preferences presents itself, it would pretty much take the Orioles out of his consideration, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I still don't see how signing Tulo would help.

The Orioles currently have a rather big group to shift thru for multiple spots.

Nunez, Ruiz, Peterson, Wilkerson, Valera, Villar, Martin, Vincej, the second Rule 5 guy...

Find out what you have with these guys, especially in a rebuilding time. 

Simply a placeholder that brings veteran experience/leadership to the table.  Almost like having an extra coach.  I can see it, but I'm not anxious about it.  Basically, I'm fine if the Orioles sign him, but won't be upset if they don't.

22 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Simply a placeholder that brings veteran experience/leadership to the table.  Almost like having an extra coach.  I can see it, but I'm not anxious about it.  Basically, I'm fine if the Orioles sign him, but won't be upset if they don't.

If he could still play, he'd be in Toronto. Or trade to someone who could use him with Toronto eating big fund. Really. It would be like Signing Chris Davis after we release him. Only a hurt Chris Davis. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

The other difference is those players didn't have 5 YEARS left on their deal. It's just not as simple as saying the money is gone either way. There's 5 more years, he's healthy, he's in shape, he still plays decent defense, he's not blocking anyone, you have a chance to confirm whether or not any "fixing" techniques work with him. These are all reasons why any GM in the game would give him one more year at the minimum. Your priority in this situation is obviously to move as much OTHER dead weight as possible FIRST: Trumbo, Cobb, Cashner, etc. Those moves are a priority because they clear roster space, they clear money, and - crucially - they bring back some kind of talent in return. Elias' priority is the farm system, not creating headlines by dumping the largest contract in Orioles history with the benefit of... freeing up 1 single roster spot? What? He's got more important things to focus on right now. Give it a year at least. 

You can't just throw $90 million in the trash because you want a roster spot for a AAAA player on a 100-loss team. That's not a thing that is done, regardless of whether or not one thinks there's a good/smart reason to (there's not, at this point, for the 2019 season). It's a bizarre line of thinking that doesn't hold up. I haven't heard a good reason to dump Davis in 2019 and that's because there is none. Talk to me in 2020, though.

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have no problem with Elias offering Tulo a 2 year cheap deal to bridge the gap, if he wants to, I dont see it happening.

I think Elias is an unknown to us fans at this point, we really dont know how he plans to rebuild.

We don't but don't we have to trust him? 

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

ideally, Elias should get a decent honeymoon period to allow him to build.

But, we both know, the first 0-3 series, and the OH will get intense.

I think the posters here are a little more educated than this.   These next 2 or 3 years will probably be down years, and I think posters here are ready and willing to accept that.   We just don't have the talent in the organization right now to put a quality team on the field.  

I think what people here may complain about is a lack of effort or fundamentals.   Other than that, I think Elias will not be disparaged here...at least for the next 2 seasons.

I watched Tulo from his first call-up here in Colorado.

Even if he is 100 percent healthy and ready to play 150 games, I wouldn't want him on this O's roster.

Loves the game, plays hard, plus defender when healthy, but he isn't great in the locker room. The Rox don't miss his tirades when the team lost -- every single time. Not a big team chemistry guy, runs other players down, etc. 

A healthy Tulo is the last piece on a team pushing for playoffs, he would be miserable to be around for a young, rebuilding roster.

12 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think the posters here are a little more educated than this.   These next 2 or 3 years will probably be down years, and I think posters here are ready and willing to accept that.   We just don't have the talent in the organization right now to put a quality team on the field.  

I think what people here may complain about is a lack of effort or fundamentals.   Other than that, I think Elias will not be disparaged here...at least for the next 2 seasons.

A majority of the posters here are very educated in he game and the players.

With that said, there are the very loud vocal minority that are unhappy with every single move/non move.

The ones that in spite of being in first by 20 games, wanted a fire sale, because they would never be able to afford to keep the guys.

You even wonder if they root for the team at all?

Archived