Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I didn't read everything, especially as the news became did we/didn't we, but one thing I never saw in any of the comments on Hyde: Is he a believer in analytics?  How much so?  I hope whoever we hire is on the same page as the front office.

You can be sure he’ll be on the same page.    Otherwise we’d hire someone else.    

It sure is refreshing to let the GM hire the manager.   

5 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I didn't read everything, especially as the news became did we/didn't we, but one thing I never saw in any of the comments on Hyde: Is he a believer in analytics?  How much so?  I hope whoever we hire is on the same page as the front office.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-brandon-hyde-orioles-20181211-story.html

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's exactly right.  Why would you pay into a declining free agent, siphoning off dollars that could go to development, so that just when you're going to get good he's likely to be in steep decline?

You buy free agents to push you over the top in a rebuild.  You don't buy $180M players so that you can win 75 instead of 70 during the rebuild.  Not unless you have way more money than you know what do with, and in that case you're not really rebuilding at all.

From 2012-on Teixeira had one very good year, one okay year, and three miserable years.   And in '12 the O's got Teixeira-like production from both Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis for a fraction of the cost.

You won me over.

:new_beer:

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can be sure he’ll be on the same page.    Otherwise we’d hire someone else.    

It sure is refreshing to let the GM hire the manager.   

Refreshing indeed, but I still have to say I'm glad we got Buck Showalter and not Eric Wedge.  It seems like so long ago now...

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Refreshing indeed, but I still have to say I'm glad we got Buck Showalter and not Eric Wedge.  It seems like so long ago now...

I enjoyed the winning ways that Dan brought us and Buck managed us through. I enjoyed the open window for the whole ride. 

44 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Individual-1 will soon be hired by the Orioles. Presser next week.

You're going to love this guy, believe me.  I know lots of people, the best kinds of people, and this guy, he's the best, really a great, great person.  Baseball is such a wonderful game, I love it.  Nobody loves the game more than me, and I'm a very smart person... if they didn't hire this guy, I could probably be the manager myself...  my team would be the best and we'd put up the most points!

Archived