2019 Season Tickets

Going Underground

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like the Orioles are getting close to releasing season plan information. When you go to your Oriole account it shows a few 13 gane plans and 20 and 40 and full season plans.When I tried to click on the 13 game plan said temporarily unavailable try back in 30 minutes.

Cutting it a bit close to Christmas.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Last year invoices were sent out January 9th,so if they really do have information soon would be earlier. But still cant buy Fanfest tickets which is real slow  Also were thinking of doing holiday packs like other teams but never did one.

Yeah, they waited until late last year.  

I like expanding the options to 40 and 20, give or take a few games.  I have had the 29 game package for five years, and always end up going to slightly more.  I may buy the 40 if it does not include Sunday games.  

• 2 months later...

An interesting thing happened on my way to giving up my season tickets.    I belong to a group that shares a full set of four season tickets, and this year a couple of people dropped out of our group (which I was considering doing) and we didn’t have enough commitments to go forward.    When the head of our group told the ticket rep we were giving up our tickets, he said “let me make you an offer,” and proceeded to offer to carve a 13-game plan out of our 81-game commitment, leaving us only needing to cover the remaining 68 games instead of the full 81.    The head of our group jumped at this and wrote the O’s a check, without confirming that the remaining members wanted to go forward.    But I can’t exactly leave the guy hanging on a $13,600 commitment, so I guess I’m in for 8 games again this year.    

I think getting season tickets for baseball is an old person/generational  thing (unless you have a business and use it for a tax deduction and/or entertaining-e.g-lawyers) .

Between traveling, minor league baseball, soccer, concerts, hanging with friends and family ...who in their right mind wants to commit to the same exact seat to games you may or may not even being able to attend bc of other events or commitments that pop up. Even if you looked at dates in detail before the season starts, things come up. Plus, why would you choose to sit in the same seat? Don’t you want to experience different viewpoints?

Just buying tickets as it fits into your schedule really just makes sense for everyone younger than 50. And for a bad team tix often sold way below face value so buying season tickets makes even less sense. I had a few friends that had plans but most just bc of their parents (often attorneys) that were creatures of habit and wanted to have the same seat. Always found that comical.

I am sure season tickets sales have done well with the influx of people moving back to cities in the last 20-30 years but from a flexibility standpoint, couldn’t find anything less desirable. 

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

I think getting season tickets for baseball is an old person/generational  thing (unless you have a business and use it for a tax deduction and/or entertaining-e.g-lawyers) .

Between traveling, minor league baseball, soccer, concerts, hanging with friends and family ...who in their right mind wants to commit to the same exact seat to games you may or may not even being able to attend bc of other events or commitments that pop up. Even if you looked at dates in detail before the season starts, things come up. Plus, why would you choose to sit in the same seat? Don’t you want to experience different viewpoints?

I don’t think it’s so much an age thing.    I’m 61, but I’ve had some kind of package since OPACY opened, when I was in my mid-30’s. Originally, it was because that was about the only way to get tickets, with the stadium selling out regularly.   Later, it was a way to guarantee a good seat and priority for playoff tickets.   And, it’s nice to have no service charges, no upcharges for premium games, and access to Lot A at a cheap price     

That said, I was ready to give them up this year for all the reasons you gave.  Obviously it’s easy to get tickets for any game now, and I’d prefer the flexibility of just deciding on game day or close.   

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Just buying tickets as it fits into your schedule really just makes sense for everyone younger than 50. And for a bad team tix often sold way below face value so buying season tickets makes even less sense. I had a few friends that had plans but most just bc of their parents (often attorneys) that were creatures of habit and wanted to have the same seat. Always found that comical.

I am sure season tickets sales have done well with the influx of people moving back to cities in the last 20-30 years but from a flexibility standpoint, couldn’t find anything less desirable. 

You make some interesting points.  

The fact that for years that you can exchange your tickets is my guess the biggest reason some people still get them. That is the only reason I keep them. I first got them when they dropped the Opening Day 5 packs. The Orioles are adding some extra perks as well this year that increase the value. You aren’t locked into going to the exact games on your plan.

The vast majority of games I go to are on Saturdays. Those are the games that sell the best anyway. Regardless of our season I know I am going to go to 8-10 games a year anyway. 

Certainly as far as the Orioles are concerned the fans are not coming for the city enough. That is why attendance is so poor during the week. People go when it is most convenient for them.

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

The Orioles allow you to trade tickets on a dollar for dollar basis. They couldn't possibly be more flexible. Season ticket packages for the Orioles are little more than a minimum dollar commitment to purchase tickets, and an up-front payment in exchange for various benefits including discounts on tickets and concessions (new this year), a subscription to MLB.tv and more. If a family of four plans to attend even two games per year they are much better off buying a single seat 13-game plan in the upper reserve and trading the tickets for the games and seats they want to attend. That way they will get all the benefits of Birdland Membership.

As far as tickets being sold below face value, when you factor in the fees accompanying buying tickets on the secondary market and the savings associated with paying the season ticket holder price, there isn't any savings.

This year they threw in a free subscription to MLBTV which is a nice perk.  You get reduced price on the plan and any additional tickets you buy, but with as empty as the Stadium might be that may be mute as bargains will be had at stub hub.   I do fit in the old guy category.

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The Orioles allow you to trade tickets on a dollar for dollar basis. They couldn't possibly be more flexible. Season ticket packages for the Orioles are little more than a minimum dollar commitment to purchase tickets, and an up-front payment in exchange for various benefits including discounts on tickets and concessions (new this year), a subscription to MLB.tv and more. If a family of four plans to attend even two games per year they are much better off buying a single seat 13-game plan in the upper reserve and trading the tickets for the games and seats they want to attend. That way they will get all the benefits of Birdland Membership.

As far as tickets being sold below face value, when you factor in the fees accompanying buying tickets on the secondary market and the savings associated with paying the season ticket holder price, there isn't any savings.

Definitely and that is great. the Orioles have become more fan friendly. I applaud John Angelos on many levels. I definitely have my frustrations with the Angelos' but John Angelos is a class act!

I just think for younger people (not that I am super young myself) I have heard repeatedly that a season ticket commitment is just way too much. Think about it, Gen X's find buying a home undesirable-why commit to one team, one season, in one city and one seat? Craziness but clearly a lot of people love them and that is great because I love baseball more than anything.

The only packages I have ever bought are for the Bowie Baysox because you just buy a pack of tickets and then pick the game, super easy and never have to worry about things selling out.

I did seriously consider a mini-Wizards pack just because the games are fun, much more exciting from an action standpoint and much shorter time wise which is great on weeknights. I never did pull the trigger but go to 5-10 games usually (less this year ha ha).

Just my take and what I hear from younger folks. I wonder if they will have problems selling season tickets in future years (skill level aside).

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Definitely and that is great. the Orioles have become more fan friendly. I applaud John Angelos on many levels. I definitely have my frustrations with the Angelos' but John Angelos is a class act!

I just think for younger people (not that I am super young myself) I have heard repeatedly that a season ticket commitment is just way too much. Think about it, Gen X's find buying a home undesirable-why commit to one team, one season, in one city and one seat? Craziness but clearly a lot of people love them and that is great because I love baseball more than anything.

The only packages I have ever bought are for the Bowie Baysox because you just buy a pack of tickets and then pick the game, super easy and never have to worry about things selling out.

I did seriously consider a mini-Wizards pack just because the games are fun, much more exciting from an action standpoint and much shorter time wise which is great on weeknights. I never did pull the trigger but go to 5-10 games usually (less this year ha ha).

Just my take and what I hear from younger folks. I wonder if they will have problems selling season tickets in future years (skill level aside).

That is why 95% percent of the teams have flex packs or holiday packs.Even the Yankees have a six game pack plus many ticket specials like $5.00 bleacher or grandstand tickets to select games.One of them is against the Orioles.The Otioles nerd to go back to packs for the casual fan.As for the exchange of tickets,you have to be careful it is not a giveaway like the Star Wars promotion.The Rays tickets on that day could end up you costing you $20.00  or a little less or more as opposed to the Friday or Sunday game  You would have to exchange your tickets dollar for dollar.

24 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

To be fair, the trading of tickets on a dollar-for-dollar basis has been a long standing policy. At least as long as I have been back in Maryland post-college (2009). 

I definitely agree with some of the younger folks stuff, that is why they no longer call them "Season Ticket Plans", they are now "Birdland Memberships". The youth of today evidently like being members of things.

I agree that the lack of flexibility in traditional season ticket plans wouldn't fly with most people today. I wouldn't be a season plan member if the Orioles did away with trading tickets, and I am a die-hard Orioles fan that lives 1,100 feet from home plate, so if you lose me as a customer, your customer base is going to be pretty small.

I like having a good seat (I am in row 1 of the upper deck directly behind home plate) for the games in my 29-game plan that I actually attend, but I much prefer being able to trade tickets and having slightly worse seats to games that I would prefer to attend. My wife and I go to most giveaway games when we are around, a smattering of games by ourselves when the weather is good and whatever games friends and families want to go to. I don't attend Red Sox and Yankees non-giveaway games because (1) the higher price isn't worth it to me, and (2) I don't like being surrounded by people cheering for the other team at Camden Yards.

I think the Season Ticket Plan is a great value and that anyway who goes to even a handful of games would benefit from being a member. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the same seat aspect an option instead of a part of membership and simply sold the different memberships on a dollar basis with a corresponding amount of money that you intend to spend on tickets as this is how many people (myself included) use their season tickets.

The A's are trying a new approach:

The Oakland Athletics announced on Monday that they will no longer offer traditional season tickets for 2019. The program will be replaced by something not yet tried before in Major League Baseball: A membership program, called A’s Access.

In a release, the Athletics said that A’s Access provides all members with general admission access to every 2019 regular season home game, a reserved seat plan, and benefits exclusive to members, such as concessions discounts.

“To better meet the evolving needs of our fans, we are changing our approach to membership,” Oakland COO Chris Giles said in a statement. “This flexible model is designed to serve both fans who want a more traditional reserved seat plan and those who desire a more flexible and social experience,” said A’s COO Chris Giles.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/oakland-athletics-eliminate-traditional-season-tickets-2019-launch-membership-program/

The A’s innovative new ticket program is proving popular — many times over.

On Friday, the first day of sales for the new A’s Access membership, which supplants the traditional season-ticket packages, the A’s signed up more new accounts in one day than they had in the entire first month of season-ticket sales last year. There were numerous reports Friday that fans couldn’t get through to order online or by phone at times during the day.

The A’s Access pass provides admission to all 81 games, regardless of the size of the ticket plan. A 10-game plan with reserved seating comes with an additional 71 days with full entry into the Treehouse area in left field, Shibe Park Tavern and Championship Plaza. The membership also includes a 50 percent discount on concessions — $8 beers for $4 — and 25 percent off merchandise, as well as per game parking for $10 for the smaller game plans, free for those with more extensive reserved-seat plans.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/A-s-Access-ticket-membership-program-is-a-13136442.php

Archived