New Rankings with Rule 5 guys

now

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, murph said:

Still a sign of a weaker system that a rule 5 draft can crack the top 15 overall, right? Hopefully big E can change that by this time next year. 

They were both ranked higher in there previous systems by MLB pipeline I believe. 

My opinion of MLB pipeline is well known though.

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Let me guess... (I know it's different). ;) As for that "rotation" (incl. Tate, Ortiz), I think the little kid in me gets sucked in by the old baseball card format, and by eternal optimism (viz. my avatar, from that shining era of Bergesen, Berken, D. Hernandez, et al.) [insert sheepish emoji].

However, you have to admit a top 3 of Hall, GRod, and HH ain't bad.

7 minutes ago, now said:

Let me guess... (I know it's different). ;) As for that "rotation" (incl. Tate, Ortiz), I think the little kid in me gets sucked in by the old baseball card format, and by eternal optimism (viz. my avatar, from that shining era of Bergesen, Berken, D. Hernandez, et al.) [insert sheepish emoji].

However, you have to admit a top 3 of Hall, GRod, and HH ain't bad.

Different is ok, I don’t think anything different from what I think is “wrong”. Poorly constructed and seemingly arbitrary I don’t like. 

I like Fangraphs lists even though I don’t always agree, same with baseball prospectus, 2080 baseball, prospects live, and the Baseball America (got the most part, sometimes the 1-10 that’s compiled by a local journalist is disappointing). 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Different is ok, I don’t think anything different from what I think is “wrong”. Poorly constructed and seemingly arbitrary I don’t like. 

I like Fangraphs lists even though I don’t always agree, same with baseball prospectus, 2080 baseball, prospects live, and the Baseball America (got the most part, sometimes the 1-10 that’s compiled by a local journalist is disappointing). 

So of those other lists, would you rank any as the best, or closest to your rankings? And BTW I trust yours more than any others because I know how you put way more study (and dare I say, analysis?) into compiling it. 

1 minute ago, now said:

So of those other lists, would you rank any as the best, or closest to your rankings? And BTW I trust yours more than any others because I know how you put way more study (and dare I say, analysis?) into compiling it. 

Baseball Prospectus is always the one I’ve respected the most. Fangraphs uses a different methodology but it’s interesting even though they clearly downgrade Orioles prospects because of player development issues.  2080 is newer but they probably see the players live more than any other national site and they are former scouts (they probably agree with my rankings the most).

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They were both ranked higher in there previous systems by MLB pipeline I believe. 

From my fantasy baseball days they seemed to be the most accurate.  But I was only looking at the top 100 lists though.  

13 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Baseball Prospectus is always the one I’ve respected the most. Fangraphs uses a different methodology but it’s interesting even though they clearly downgrade Orioles prospects because of player development issues.  2080 is newer but they probably see the players live more than any other national site and they are former scouts (they probably agree with my rankings the most).

Thanks for the info on the ranking systems.   And I am excited about a lot of propsects, but also can’t wait to see what’s coming.   Watching the talent grow will be something to help get through these down years.  

Have to like these two additions.  Disagree with a chuckle that there is "no big impact" to adding a top 15 prospect rated a few slots behind a recent supplemental first rounder and ahead of supplemental second rounder - basically for free.  We'll see the impact on the field.

6 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Have to like these two additions.  Disagree with a chuckle that there is "no big impact" to adding a top 15 prospect rated a few slots behind a recent supplemental first rounder and ahead of supplemental second rounder - basically for free.  We'll see the impact on the field.

If he plays average or better major league defense, that will be a plus. Our defense at SS stunk last year.   In Manny’s case, I think the O’s may not have done a good job of positioning him, as his numbers with the Dodgers were markedly better.   

Archived