Born in Maryland

Frobby

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weams said:

I always disliked Denard Span. Not because he was from Washington. Many great people have been from the District  

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Indeed.  I was born in D.C., thereby proving your point.?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You're a plurality? 

I was born there too — if that counts for anything.  

2 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Troy Browhawn went to my High School Cambridge South Dorchester youngest ever at time to go to Olympics. Might of even been a good of QB as he was a pitcher. He’s actually now a coach at Salisbury university

He was a really good qb. What year did you graduate?  I went to Csd for half a year as a sophomore and graduated from ndhs in 93. 

Chris Coghlan was born in Rockville Maryland. Grew up (until 14) in Damascus until his father (Montgomery County Police Officer) was killed in an on duty traffic accident. He and his family moved to Florida to be near relatives. You could tell at the age of 7 that he would be a special player.

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Arundel Senior High School, Grambrills Md.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/hs/profile.asp?ID=3105

Total Players Listed23   Major Leaguers Listed Pro Players 14  Drafted Players 4

Best player drafted from there was Denny Neagle.

Got an at bat against Denny Neagle in a preseason game and flew out to center field. I was just happy I didn't strike out. He was pretty good obviously! 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Got an at bat against Denny Neagle in a preseason game and flew out to center field. I was just happy I didn't strike out. He was pretty good obviously! 

Arundel did pretty well for itself with Coach Bernie Walters was there as a public school, I believe he was even something of a volunteer scout for the Orioles, too. The man knew his baseball.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/ac-cs-bernie-walter-feature-20180611-story.html

Walter remains the all-time winningest public school coach in Maryland history, having compiled a phenomenal 609-185 career record during 37 seasons at Arundel High. He led the Wildcats to 10 state championships, which remains a state record

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Arundel did pretty well for itself with Coach Bernie Walters was there as a public school, I believe he was even something of a volunteer scout for the Orioles, too. The man knew his baseball.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/ac-cs-bernie-walter-feature-20180611-story.html

Wildcats also had a very good 2nd baseball man, last name of Cobb, that ended at the Navy Academy and their baseball team, before coming an officer.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

He and they were our rivals in high school. We had a healthy dose of dislike for him and his program as we were always told he taught his kids to play dirty. He actually used to keep players on his roster who's entire job it was to talk trash to the other team. They would yell "drop it" when a fielder was about to catch a pop up in the infield. We were always taught to respect the game and our opponents and were forbidden to talk with them or the umpires during games.

He and our head coach (Harry Lentz) had a healthy dislike for each other and both were birddog scouts for the Orioles (saying that, few if any of their best players ever were drafted by the Orioles.)

Neagle was the best to come out of either program. I think Chorey Spoone is the guy who made it the farthest up the minor league ladder (AAA) from Northeast.

Archived