Response to Roch's Jan 1st blog on O's moves

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Yep - again, a strange first-round pick in my view. Why intentionally pick someone who projects in a limited way? It's not like any particular part of his game -- other than OBP as I recall -- was worth crowing about. I bet he'll be a valuable piece someday, maybe here, maybe not.

But I wouldn't DRAFT that kind of player. I would look to pick up a guy like that exactly how Gillick picked up Inky... on the cheap and at the last minute, and to fill a very specific hole. 

High floor.

I like the Stewart pick a lot better than the Grenier pick.

Stewart has made the majors, that pretty much makes the pick a success.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

High floor.

47 at bats makes a 1st rounder a success?  Not it my book.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

High floor.

I agree.   And I don’t remember the national writers really questioning the pick much.   

33 of 54 picks at no. 25 made the majors.  11 of those had negative WAR.  So, I wouldn’t say he’s a median level no. 25 pick yet in playing time, but he certainly is from a WAR perspective at this point.   

3 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Yep - again, a strange first-round pick in my view. Why intentionally pick someone who projects in a limited way? It's not like any particular part of his game -- other than OBP as I recall -- was worth crowing about. I bet he'll be a valuable piece someday, maybe here, maybe not.

But I wouldn't DRAFT that kind of player. I would look to pick up a guy like that exactly how Gillick picked up Inky... on the cheap and at the last minute, and to fill a very specific hole. 

Maybe they thought Kevin Youkilis was a reasonable (reachable) comp.

9 hours ago, now said:

Maybe they thought Kevin Youkilis was a reasonable (reachable) comp.

I could see something like that. Again, I like the player. But it seems like: a) he's not a plus defender at any position... b) our MLB team had a backlog of 1B/DH types. I still think he could have a very positive impact on this team. But I don't think he's the long-term answer at any one position. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

High floor.

See, I prefer the Grenier pick for a first/second rounder, but I get what you're saying. And it makes a ton of sense. You don't make the majors if you suck. That's a fact. 

I like Grenier-type players because they're so fundamentally sound. To me, defense-first is a great way to approach the game. Plus, he OPS'd well over .800 for a championship college team. I'd be happy with a .780 OPS and devastating defense at short.

4 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I could see something like that. Again, I like the player. But it seems like: a) he's not a plus defender at any position... b) our MLB team had a backlog of 1B/DH types. I still think he could have a very positive impact on this team. But I don't think he's the long-term answer at any one position. 

Did we have a backlog of that type of player when Stewart was drafted?    

I assume we drafted him because we thought he could be a solid major league hitter and liked his leadership skills.    I’d say his hitting has been mildly disappointing compared to what we were hoping for, but the story isn’t fully written yet.    Like many others, 2019 will be an interesting year for Stewart.  If his OBP skills transfer to the majors and he shows a bit of pop, I’ll be pretty satisfied.    

I think they literally saw Mo Vaughn when they were picking him. Like Mo Vaughn must have been standing next to Stewart when they Skyped him during the draft. Swing, body type, OBP. They anticipated emerging power. Had to, right?

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did we have a backlog of that type of player when Stewart was drafted?    

I assume we drafted him because we thought he could be a solid major league hitter and liked his leadership skills.    I’d say his hitting has been mildly disappointing compared to what we were hoping for, but the story isn’t fully written yet.    Like many others, 2019 will be an interesting year for Stewart.  If his OBP skills transfer to the majors and he shows a bit of pop, I’ll be pretty satisfied.    

Our drafting experts at the time was in love with the HR power hitter.

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Our drafting experts at the time was in love with the HR power hitter.

I thought Stewart was an excellent OBP guy in college.  Some pop, but not a big HR guy.  Am I remembering it wrong? 

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I thought Stewart was an excellent OBP guy in college.  Some pop, but not a big HR guy.  Am I remembering it wrong? 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Wasn't the thought, that he was a pure hitter and pop would come and his body matured with age?

I’m remembering it like Number5.   He was a guy they were hoping was going to hit 20-25 homers with a high OBP.

There is any truth to this statement, then, this is pretty incredible:

Dempsey said. “We talked about the precision that it takes for a catcher now to be a good defensive catcher. I said the No. 1 thing that is hurting all teams is major league catchers sit way too far back now. They’re at least three feet deeper than they ever were in my era.

Archived