Koby Perez named Director of Int'l Scouting

interloper

I like the hire. It’s a great sign. Our scouts(Calvin Maduro?) did a great job finding Schoop and EdRod, but they just weren’t allowed to spend money. Rebuilding the relationships and infrastructure is great, I just hope it means we spend at least 50% of our int’l slot money. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Take a look at the Indians J2 signings from the Dominican and Venezuela the 3 years he was at the helm, especially Venezuela, they did better there than any team in baseball.

Yeah, they are major leaguers who add value, 12.1 fWAR so far with more years of team control remaining. That’s a haul for one guy, it beats the entire Orioles effort.

Cleveland Indians 
Gabriel Rodriguez, ss, Venezuela (No. 8 prospect) 
Junior Sanquintin, ss, Dominican Republic (No. 21 prospect) -- $1.25 million signing bonus
Angel Martinez, ss, Dominican Republic (No. 39 prospect) -- $500,000 signing bonus
Jesus Lara, ss, Venezuela 
Sterling Romero, of, Dominican Republic -- $650,000
Luis Ostos, of, Venezuela 
Dayan Frias, ss, Colombia

Cleveland Indians George Valera, of, Dominican Republic (No. 5 prospect), $1.3 million. Aaron Bracho, ss, Venezuela (No. 17 prospect) Jose Tena, ss, Dominican Republic, $400,000. Wilfi Peralta, ss, Dominican Republic, $300,000. Cesar Idrogo, ss, Venezuela Marlin Made, of, Dominican Republic Brayan Rocchio, ss, Venezuela

Which of these guys look to be bloomers?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the hire. It’s a great sign. Our scouts(Calvin Maduro?) did a great job finding Schoop and EdRod, but they just weren’t allowed to spend money. Rebuilding the relationships and infrastructure is great, I just hope it means we spend at least 50% of our int’l slot money. 

It appears that this guy is used to spending what he has available. 

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I sure hope so. We can’t rebuild if we’re not active in 50% of the amateur talent grab. 

More like 30-40%, depending on whether you’re talking about minor leaguers (about 40%) or major leaguers (30%).     Still, way too big a market to ignore as we mostly have.   

30 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

I think I saw that they were in St Louis for two years together.

Perez started working in professional baseball in 2006 by serving as the Cardinals’ northeast area scout and held the job through 2008. Elias joined the Cardinals in 2007 in a scouting capacity.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/orioles-hire-koby-perez-to-head-scouting-department.html

Perez will oversee all aspects of the Orioles’ international scouting operations and management of the club’s bonus pool.

Does this mean that if Elias wants to throw in int'l slot money into a trade he has to run it by Perez for permission first?

Half joking, half serious question...

Archived