Trezza: Elias not planning on hiring a Scouting or Player Development Director in the near future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I found it interesting that Elias is putting so much responsibility on himself.   Putting aside Scouting Director, we also lost or dismissed both of our national cross-checkers and one our our regional supervisors.    There’s a lot of hiring to be done and I’m worried that Elias is spreading himself very thin.   At the same time, he’s right to want to get the best people, and that may not be feasible until next Fall in some cases.    

Couple thoughts here:

1)  I think the GM is taking on a role which he might really like or crave, but ordinarily he shouldn't be drafting.  Now, perhaps he wants to get familiar with our scouts and see who needs to go and how much more he should hire.  And, I guess if he really follows through on what he says - that he runs the draft this year, but hires/promotes and then passes the responsibility to someone else next year under this year's guidelines, then I am fine with it.

2)  Given the above, I will say this draft is quite important to our future and ME focuses resources and his time on this draft could well be a good utilization of ME's time.

3)  Also, maybe ME will have time to run the draft.  It's possible his focus on the major league time will be minimal or at least much less than a normal GM given our lack of competitiveness and he will be able to appropriately dedicate himself to investing his time in this draft. 

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Couple thoughts here:

1)  I think the GM is taking on a role which he might really like or crave, but ordinarily he shouldn't be drafting.  Now, perhaps he wants to get familiar with our scouts and see who needs to go and how much more he should hire.  And, I guess if he really follows through on what he says - that he runs the draft this year, but hires/promotes and then passes the responsibility to someone else next year under this year's guidelines, then I am fine with it.

2)  Given the above, I will say this draft is quite important to our future and ME focuses resources and his time on this draft could well be a good utilization of ME's time.

3)  Also, maybe ME will have time to run the draft.  It's possible his focus on the major league time will be minimal or at least much less than a normal GM given our lack of competitiveness and he will be able to appropriately dedicate himself to investing his time in this draft. 

1.   I have the impression that in Houston Luhnow was an active participant in the draft, and maybe the final decision maker for the first pick in consultation with Elias.

2.   Elias is very well positioned to run the draft this year since he’s been scouting all the top players for Houston already.    

3.   I agree he shouldn’t bear the responsibility to run the whole thing in the long term.    

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Couple thoughts here:

I just think ME wants someone that he can mentor in that slot, like Luhnow did for him...and that person is either not available or not found yet. 

Archived