Interesting FAs

wildcard

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Of the list provided, I might be interested in Nate Karns on a low guarantee contract with incentives at, maybe, 25 starts and 30 starts: $1.5MM/+$1MM/+$1MM. $3.5MM for 30 starts.

Hey, hey. Eating chicken tonight!

Of course, it's not my money, so I overestimated what he would sign for. Or maybe he is further proof of the pattern of declining free-agent salaries. FWIW: I thought my figures were a bit high when I wrote the above, but the Orioles signing Karns at $800k plus $200k in incentives seems like a very good bargain.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, jerios55 said:

Clay Buchholz and Karns could probably combine to be 1 SP this season, both with upside.  I think he's the only other guy I'd consider (maybe one of the SS, but I just don't know that much about them).

Hechavarria makes sense. Would allow us to bring Martin along slowly at first, and let Jackson be more of a Utility guy. A defensive whiz like Hechavarria will always be in demand around the trade deadline. Even if the return is small. We could still dump his salary. 

I’d like to see us add a RF on a league min One year deal.  Heck, throw some ABs to Carlos Gomez and see what happens  

I don’t think we need any of these players but I think they would be nice stop gaps so we don’t have to “rush” our younger guys.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hechavarria makes sense. Would allow us to bring Martin along slowly at first, and let Jackson be more of a Utility guy. A defensive whiz like Hechavarria will always be in demand around the trade deadline. Even if the return is small. We could still dump his salary. 

I’d like to see us add a RF on a league min One year deal.  Heck, throw some ABs to Carlos Gomez and see what happens  

I don’t think we need any of these players but I think they would be nice stop gaps so we don’t have to “rush” our younger guys.

I prefer Iglesias.

IMO, there's Machado and Harper and then the rest.  I can't believe that these guys are the lynchpins to the ENTIRE FA class.  For a guy like Jones, how much does Harper REALLY impact him?  I'd imagine that either you're all in on Harper and if you don't get him, you turn to Jones.  But there are other teams out there that can't afford Harper that could take Jones on a year or two.  Same with Machado, if you're a team like...well, us....and you know you're not in on Machado, Iglesias makes sense and his cost shouldn't be affected by what Manny signs for.

But I guess I might be wrong.  I thought Bryce and Manny were gonna sign last week but I'm not even sure if they'll sign this week.  I'm not sure if they really care as they'll be missing some spring training.

Iglesias was vetted by Elisa at the winter meetings and according to reports found him not to  be good in the clubhouse.

Hechavarria does not appear to be better defensively or offensively than Martin and he will probably cost several million more.

Wieters is more debatable.   Wieters (704 OPS)  is not that much better offensively than Wynn (669 OPS).  What Wieters has over him is experience.   

Sucre and Perez have experience and are as good defensively but they have not hit as well in the majors.     

Wieters is better overall because of his combination of defensively, offensively, and in experience.  The question is will the O's pay  for him.  Remember he is a Boras client and Boras will try to get every last penny.

JMO.

Would a low profile manager like Hyde be undermined by having well known, popular former O’s, in the clubhouse?  

I think it’s sink or swim time for Wynn’s. Sisco needs to be given PT to find out if he can play. 

I doubt Jones would waive any 10/5 rights to come here on a short term deal. 

Machado is the only FA that makes sense on a MLB deal. Haha. 

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would a low profile manager like Hyde be undermined by having well known, popular former O’s, in the clubhouse?  

I think it’s sink or swim time for Wynn’s. Sisco needs to be given PT to find out if he can play. 

I doubt Jones would waive any 10/5 rights to come here on a short term deal. 

Machado is the only FA that makes sense on a MLB deal. Haha. 

Jones should sign this week.  He has plenty of money.   Family means more to him.  That is the draw to come back to the O's.   Cleveland is the  only team I have seen mentioned for him.   He rejected Cleveland last July.  

Hays has not played above AA and there is no reason to use up his service time in the first half of this season.  I think Hays begins the season in the minors.

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jones should sign this week.  He has plenty of money.   Family means more to him.  That is the draw to come back to the O's.   Cleveland is the  only team I have seen mentioned for him.   He rejected Cleveland last July.  

Hays has not played above AA and there is no reason to use up his service time in the first half of this season.  I think Hays begins the season in the minors.

Hays has played above AA.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not well,  Ok, a  cup of coffee in Sept 2017.

Certainly his performance then, and last year back in AA, did not suggest that he’s ready for the majors.   I agree with you he needs at least a couple of months, if not more, in the minors to show he’s made enough progress to get another shot.   

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I thought he rejected Philly, no?

Archived