You're next

weams

Sean Doolittle's twitter feed has been very active recently regarding labor relations.  

Evidently there was a report recently published that said the overall  players' salary has decreased 4%.

As someone interested in the health of the game, but not fighting for the players or owners, what changes would you like to see in the next agreement?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, weams said:

All 800 of them in the world. 

All of them are doing great.  I am not sure why the limited number of them have to do anything.  How many professional duck-pin bowlers are there?  It is the stadium and the fans that make the game.  Not the players.  They could all be replaced tomorrow and by the time the season was over the fans wouldn't' care.  This isn't gymnastics or figure skating or even the NFL.  The difference between Triple A and Major League isn't much different in regards to what the players are doing.  

10 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Sean Doolittle's twitter feed has been very active recently regarding labor relations.  

Evidently there was a report recently published that said the overall  players' salary has decreased 4%.

As someone interested in the health of the game, but not fighting for the players or owners, what changes would you like to see in the next agreement?

Minor leaguers added to the union and giving an adequate but still low wage.

Eliminate service time manipulation.

Set a floor to spending.

Eliminate pitching wins.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Minor leaguers added to the union and giving an adequate but still low wage.

Eliminate service time manipulation.

Set a floor to spending.

Eliminate pitching wins.

I would put international players in the draft.

Have salary cap and salary minimum.

Cut free agency time to 5 years.  If you play any part of a year that counts.

Increase Minor league salaries.

Eliminate Arbitration.  Salary is scaled first five years of team control.  

Limit contracts to 7 years.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

All of them are doing great.  I am not sure why the limited number of them have to do anything.  How many professional duck-pin bowlers are there?  It is the stadium and the fans that make the game.  Not the players.  They could all be replaced tomorrow and by the time the season was over the fans wouldn't' care.  This isn't gymnastics or figure skating or even the NFL.  The difference between Triple A and Major League isn't much different in regards to what the players are doing.  

I guess you assume that AAA players are receiving MLB pay. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

I guess you assume that AAA players are receiving MLB pay

I am not sure what you are trying to state.  I am saying if you released all Major League players and brought up all AAA players to play the game by the end of the year the fans wouldn't' care. Don't care what you pay them.  People watched baseball during WW2 when a ton of the star players were in the service and the quality of players at AAA now are better than the players were then.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what you are trying to state.  I am saying if you released all Major League players and brought up all AAA players to play the game by the end of the year the fans wouldn't' care. Don't care what you pay them.  People watched baseball during WW2 when a ton of the star players were in the service and the quality of players at AAA now are better than the players were then.  

Cap and minimum also won't work for MLB as I want it to exist. I sure don't want to see another NFL. 

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I'm saying you are wrong. Now if you released all MLB players and came back in three years like Bill James says, I'm not sure he is too wrong. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Cap and minimum also won't work for MLB as I want it to exist. I sure don't want to see another NFL

Why not it works well in the NFL.  Teams from small markets are able to keep their best players.  The Ravens have never been at a disadvantage due to their market size

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm saying you are wrong. Now if you released all MLB players and came back in three years like Bill James says, I'm not sure he is too wrong. 

People wouldn't notice.  The NFL replaced players and the players gave up after 3 games as the fans were watching the replacement players.  The difference between the top non-NFL players and NFL players is much greater than the difference between the top non-mlb players and MLB players.  Well at least from what the fans will notice.   The difference to someone throwing 95mph and 92 mph fastball aren't noticeable to fans. The batters won't be as good so the inferior pitching won't be noticeable. 

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why not it works well in the NFL.  Teams from small markets are able to keep their best players.  The Ravens have never been at a disadvantage due to their market size

People wouldn't notice.  The NFL replaced players and the players gave up after 3 games as the fans were watching the replacement players.  The difference between the top non-NFL players and NFL players is much greater than the difference between the top non-mlb players and MLB players.  Well at least from what the fans will notice.   The difference to someone throwing 95mph and 92 mph fastball aren't noticeable to fans. The batters won't be as good so the inferior pitching won't be noticeable. 

Well, now I know why we disagree all the time. 

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would put international players in the draft.

Have salary cap and salary minimum.

Cut free agency time to 5 years.  If you play any part of a year that counts.

Increase Minor league salaries.

Eliminate Arbitration.  Salary is scaled first five years of team control.  

Limit contracts to 7 years.  

Good thoughts.

Can you expand on the second to last point?  Would Betts make the same as other Arb 2 guys (year 5)?

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Good thoughts.

Can you expand on the second to last point?  Would Betts make the same as other Arb 2 guys (year 5)?

Yeah give them all the same money. Obviously if you are raising guys salary who aren't very good then they will get free agency before year 5 as people won't pay them the year 5 money.  But as you have a salary minimum teams that aren't very good will be willing to pay for those guys. 

Archived