O's sign 33 yo reliever Bo Schultz to a minor league contract

SteveA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, scOtt said:

Or Yalta.

I don't know what that means...

Anagram solver tells me SCANTILY is the best long word you can build from ANALYTICS.

Old Orioles analytics scantily prepared the players.  

To the beer v. tacos crowd, SAINTLY and SATANIC are near the top of the list too.

44 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes, Infante t99, Brice t98, MiL Rule 5 guy is a righty, but he touched 102. 

My bad, for some reason I thought he has a LHP. Guess that's what getting old does to you at times. Seems like Elias is looking for not only spin rate, doesn't it? I still think KC a few years ago showed the way for clubs like us regarding pitching. You don't have to have a stable of the Kershaw, Price, Sale etc.even though it helps . Have decent/good SP and develop a lockdown BP/Closer. (I know, easier said than done)

5 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

My bad, for some reason I thought he has a LHP. Guess that's what getting old does to you at times. Seems like Elias is looking for not only spin rate, doesn't it? I still think KC a few years ago showed the way for clubs like us regarding pitching. You don't have to have a stable of the Kershaw, Price, Sale etc.even though it helps . Have decent/good SP and develop a lockdown BP/Closer. (I know, easier said than done)

I think the Oriole are/were just behind the curve as far as high velocity guys. So it makes sense to add some high octane arms to the mix. These arms aren't quality major league guys though (Infante is the exception, he was good when healthy),  so the question is what tweaks can be made to allow one or more of these pitchers to have MLB value. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I think the Oriole are/were just behind the curve as far as high velocity guys. So it makes sense to add some high octane arms to the mix. These arms aren't quality major league guys though (Infante is the exception, he was good when healthy),  so the question is what tweaks can be made to allow one or more of these pitchers to have MLB value. 

I think it goes back to emphasizing ground balls over strike outs.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Throwing faster is better?   Who’d have thunk it?

It's pretty wild that the Orioles were living in the past that much. Here are a couple of relevant quotes from Angels GM Billy Eppler. 

“In running through this with analytics departments I have worked with over the last 14 years,” Eppler said, “velocity is the No. 1 predictor of success.”

“If you have a sinker-ball pitcher and a fly-ball hitter, that’s actually a pretty good recipe for the hitter,” Eppler said.

Archived