Stand Pat!

Peace21

Why are we so anxious to trade? We dont need to trade our major pieces that are helping us now and that could continue to help us. Im talking about the Sherriill's and the Scotts and Huffs. We need to let them finish out this season with the chance to earn a winning record or .500. If people here want players like Mark Teixera you need to have some sort of sign or consistency and winning. Keeping these guys around for awhile is going to help in the long run.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to show signs of getting better.

Unless Mark Teixeira is a complete moron, winning a couple extra games with Kevin Millar and Jay Payton will do nothing for his desire to come here.

On the other hand, a sign of a real plan and a real effort to implement it might have some appeal. At least more then what you are suggesting, which is a dead-end.

Why are we so anxious to trade? We dont need to trade our major pieces that are helping us now and that could continue to help us. Im talking about the Sherriill's and the Scotts and Huffs. We need to let them finish out this season with the chance to earn a winning record or .500. If people here want players like Mark Teixera you need to have some sort of sign or consistency and winning. Keeping these guys around for awhile is going to help in the long run.

I don't see any reason to believe 1. that making a run at .500 this year somehow creates "consistency" and "winning" for a team that's lost for 10 straight years, or 2. that "a chance to earn a winning record" is a reason to hold on to older guys, with extinguishing contracts, who won't be contributing to a contender.

Huff certainly won't. Scott and Sherrill are tougher calls. I don't think we're going to get more value in trade than Scott offers on the field. But I think it likely that we will with Sherrill.

I'd trade both Sherrill and Huff in a heartbeat.

A .500 record means absolutely nothing. It's just the product of having the bar lowered and lowered and lowered so far that it creates the illusion for some people of "hope." The only goal we should have is to be in the Playoffs as soon as possible. And that's not going to happen with this team. If Huff, Sherrill, and Scott can get us the pieces that will put us there in a few years, then it shouldn't even be a discussion as to whether we should trade them. For the right offer, every single player on this team is (or should be) tradeable. I'm surprised there are still people who feel otherwise.

We need to show signs of getting better.

Unless Mark Teixeira is a complete moron, winning a couple extra games with Kevin Millar and Jay Payton will do nothing for his desire to come here.

On the other hand, a sign of a real plan and a real effort to implement it might have some appeal. At least more then what you are suggesting, which is a dead-end.

Ok fine, I have no problem dealing Payton or Millar, or even Bradford, but dont trade Sherrill,Huff, or Scott.

If we hang onto these guys (rather than make some deals), we'll be doing exactly what we've done for the last 10 years. How will that encourage a player like Teixeira to sign with the O's?

Is finishing .500 a goal? If so I think we are on the wrong track as a franchise. I don't want to see us reach .500, or compete for 4th place in the AL East... in my opinion we still have a looong way to go to consistently compete with the Sox, Yanks and now Rays. Even adding 1 guy like Tex (as good as he is) won't solve that problem. We need to stay the course. If someone GS, Huff, whoever (minus Kakes, AJ, Wieters, Tillman, Arrieta) can be traded to give us a better chance to consistently compete, then I think that is our best option, even if it makes us anxious O's fans wait.

Ok fine, I have no problem dealing Payton or Millar, or even Bradford, but dont trade Sherrill,Huff, or Scott.

They are the best chance of us getting real pieces back. All are over thirty (enter RShack and his ridiculousness...) and all are worth more in prospects then in our future.

We don't HAVE to trade them, but we should be trying hard.

If it's an either/or, which according to the OP it is, then I'd rather not sign Tex and restock the farm by dealing Huff, Roberts, DCab, Sherrill and the old guys everyone agrees we should deal.

Sorry, having a winning record comes in second place IMO. They need to do whatever it takes to fill the holes that they have. If it means trading, Huff, Sherrill, Payton or whoever. Than so be it...

Wow, I must have been fooled than. I thought people wanted winning baseball and to stop this losing streak.

Archived