Doug Brocail is the Pitching Coach

interloper

12 hours ago, now said:

Yeah, could have been the disappointment--his--toxic in all the press interviews he was forced to undergo. He took it badly. Not smooth like Buck.

That would explain it. I definitely wasn’t watching the pressers at 11-12 years old so I had no real feel for Ray’s personality. Buck was great. Interested in seeing how Hyde will be since he knows this team isn’t a contender while the 98-99 O’s were supposed to be.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

That would explain it. I definitely wasn’t watching the pressers at 11-12 years old so I had no real feel for Ray’s personality. Buck was great. Interested in seeing how Hyde will be since he knows this team isn’t a contender while the 98-99 O’s were supposed to be.

Yeah, and it's so easy to blame the manager for every little thing in-game, too, when the team is underperforming. Including Buck.

12 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Oh definitely on the PC front. Help me out here though, other than Wells being replaced by Jimmy Key, I don’t remember too much difference between the 1996 and 1997 staffs and don’t about the pens. I remember Myers as closer, Benitez as set up but Orosco, Mathews, Rhodes, & Mills on both teams. But yeah that 1996 team was incredible on offense. I still remember thinking Ripken-Alomar-Palmeiro was as good as it got at SS-2B-1B and that combo is in fact the inspiration for my username.

The Pen was decent and good enough to get into the ALCS, but the pen was spent by like game 5 or whatever it was that Mussina was spent and Davy couldnt use Myers who needed a night off and was spent. Zeile ended up throwing the ball into the ground.

96 hurt, I really thought they had what it took to win the whole thing, good team and great manager, but it wasnt meant to be.

13 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Keep in mind, many of the veterans, while liking Ray, was really pissed at Ownership for running Davey out of town.

If Davey had stayed, I venture to say, 98 and 99 would have ended up differently. IMO

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Keep in mind, many of the veterans, while liking Ray, was really pissed at Ownership for running Davey out of town.

If Davey had stayed, I venture to say, 98 and 99 would have ended up differently. IMO

Davey was a much better manager, but it’s hard to know what would have happened if he stayed.   Randall K. Myers had a miraculous year in ‘97, left the O’s and stunk in ‘98, got hurt and was out of baseball.     Benitez who had been so good as a set-up guy was just so-so as closer.    Raffy and Alomar were gone in a year and had many good years thereafter — thank Peter for both of those departures.    Probably the biggest problem Miller had was he didn’t have himself as a pitching coach.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Davey was a much better manager, but it’s hard to know what would have happened if he stayed.   Randall K. Myers had a miraculous year in ‘97, left the O’s and stunk in ‘98, got hurt and was out of baseball.     Benitez who had been so good as a set-up guy was just so-so as closer.    Raffy and Alomar were gone in a year and had many good years thereafter — thank Peter for both of those departures.    Probably the biggest problem Miller had was he didn’t have himself as a pitching coach.

DIdnt Myers tell a reporter, he would have stayed around, if Davey had been kept?

I know hard to say what would or could have happen.

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Pen was decent and good enough to get into the ALCS, but the pen was spent by like game 5 or whatever it was that Mussina was spent and Davy couldnt use Myers who needed a night off and was spent. Zeile ended up throwing the ball into the ground.

96 hurt, I really thought they had what it took to win the whole thing, good team and great manager, but it wasnt meant to be.

Looking back now 22 years later, 97 hurt more to me than 96. Just like 2014 hurts more than 2012. Funnily enough we lost to the Yankees in both years. The ironic thing about 97 was we had a better record than Cleveland whom we had beaten as the WC the previous year when they still had Belle. 96 pissed me off because of Maier but it didn’t hurt so much since we made the playoffs the next year but 97 hurt because we then went the next fourteen years without sniffing 500. I went from being a sixth grader in 1998 to a college graduate in 2012. Painful wait. I hope 2014/16 doesn’t have the same weight and I’m still fairly young when we compete again.

1 minute ago, Palmoripken said:

Looking back now 22 years later, 97 hurt more to me than 96. Just like 2014 hurts more than 2012. Funnily enough we lost to the Yankees in both years. The ironic thing about 97 was we had a better record than Cleveland whom we had beaten as the WC the previous year when they still had Belle. 96 pissed me off because of Maier but it didn’t hurt so much since we made the playoffs the next year but 97 hurt because we then went the next fourteen years without sniffing 500. I went from being a sixth grader in 1998 to a college graduate in 2012. Painful wait. I hope 2014/16 doesn’t have the same weight and I’m still fairly young when we compete again.

My problem is, 96 was personal for me. I stood in line for 3 hours for playoff tickets, and got them and was at that ALCS game, and they was winning for most of the game, Mussina was pitching a gem of a game. That was a hard loss to take. Chuck Thompson was only 15 feet away in the next seat of bleachers with his wife and you could see the disappointment in his eyes when Zeile screwed up.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we’re a 85 team in 1998 if Davey stays but you’re right, it really went downhill when Johnson left and then Gillick did too and we really didn’t draft well either. Goes without saying, drafting and scouting is going to be what defines success for the new or any regime. I think we would be in a better spot now if Duquette had drafted better but in a way I appreciated his aggression that MacPhail imo lacked but at the same time, the ideal GM would have taken some of the pluses both had.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

My problem is, 96 was personal for me. I stood in line for 3 hours for playoff tickets, and got them and was at that ALCS game, and they was winning for most of the game, Mussina was pitching a gem of a game. That was a hard loss to take. Chuck Thompson was only 15 feet away in the next seat of bleachers with his wife and you could see the disappointment in his eyes when Zeile screwed up.

I hear ya totally. It always hurts more when you’re there and for older fans like you, this was at the time your first taste of postseason since 83.

1 hour ago, weams said:

In this article, Dubroff quotes “one longtime observer of the Orioles” as saying that Bundy will have a breakout year under Brocail.   No reasons or rationale is given.

Really, is that what passes for journalism these days?   Not only is the quoted “longtime observer” anonymous, we have no idea whatsoever what his connection to the Orioles or baseball is, why he thinks this, or what the basis for his opinion is.    Hell, I qualify as a “longtime observer of the Orioles.”

Honestly that’s one of the worst uses of a source I’ve ever seen in an article.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In this article, Dubroff quotes “one longtime observer of the Orioles” as saying that Bundy will have a breakout year under Brocail.   No reasons or rationale is given.

Really, is that what passes for journalism these days?   Not only is the quoted “longtime observer” anonymous, we have no idea whatsoever what his connection to the Orioles or baseball is, why he thinks this, or what the basis for his opinion is.    Hell, I qualify as a “longtime observer of the Orioles.”

Honestly that’s one of the worst uses of a source I’ve ever seen in an article.   

It's obviously Dempsey. 

Just now, weams said:

It's obviously Dempsey. 

I can’t tell if your remark is tongue in cheek, or serious.   If serious, what makes you think so?    It’s certainly a possibility, among about a million other possibilities.   

Archived