Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He went in because he hit 20 homers a year and had a fair number of RBI and played on the '79 team.  By rWAR he's the 9th-best first baseman in team history (that's a stretch since he played less than 50% of his games with the team at first).  By games (with a 40% at first qualifier) he's 5th.  He just could quite eek out Jeff Conine's Oriole career value.  Randy Milligan was much better in 2/3rds the playing time.

He had a .299 OBP with the O's.  And that includes 31 IBBs and 10 HBP.  On his own he got on base like 28% of the time.  

He had 3 consecutive 99 RBI seasons.  I think that is enough to get in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  A hall of fame that includes a trainer, a umpire assistant,  a fan, a bunch of broadcasters,  a traveling secretary,  a director of community relations, administrator for Sarasota operations, a scout.

Really I can't believe we are arguing about Lee May not belonging in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

He had 3 consecutive 99 RBI seasons.  I think that is enough to get in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  A hall of fame that includes a trainer, a umpire assistant,  a fan, a bunch of broadcasters,  a traveling secretary,  a director of community relations, administrator for Sarasota operations, a scout.

Really I can't believe we are arguing about Lee May not belonging in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  

I understand that there really aren't any standards for the O's HOF.  If you can't believe we're discussing this I question whether you're familiar with the internet.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

But Roberto Alomar was a debatable selection with only three seasons, when he was a far greater and meaningful player in less seasons than Lee May was?  The Orioles have several questionable players in their team Hall of Fame, putting aside personalities and longevity and other random arguments, that simply based on their numbers alone by any metric you want to use, simply don't belong to be there.  

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Tony Batista deserves to be in the Orioles HOF?  How about Jeff Conine?  Kevin Millar must deserve some love, too.  If the barometer for getting into the team Hall is some random number for consecutive seasons, you'd have to let in half the players that have ever played for the team.

7 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

So Tony Batista deserves to be in the Orioles HOF?  How about Jeff Conine?  Kevin Millar must deserve some love, too.  If the barometer for getting into the team Hall is some random number for consecutive seasons, you'd have to let in half the players that have ever played for the team.

I am guessing you never saw Lee May play. He belongs in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  I think your post is quite disrespectful.  Lee May was a very good player on some great teams.  And was a fan favorite.  We don't purge people from the Orioles Hall of Fame.

I am not sure what those other players have to do with Lee May.  If you think they deserve to the be in the Orioles Hall of Fame why don't you make the case for them instead of disparaging the great Lee May.  Who batted clean-up on some great teams.  Played in the World Series for multiple teams.  

Maybe Bobby Grich eventually gets in and goes as an Oriole? It'd be well-deserved.

Maybe Ken Singleton goes in via veteran's committee? Undeserved, but possible...

Maybe Nick gets to 3K hits somehow, and gets #3000 in an Orioles uniform?

Maybe Manny comes back to Baltimore for a swan song, a la Eddie Murray?

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Maybe Bobby Grich eventually gets in and goes as an Oriole? It'd be well-deserved.

Maybe Ken Singleton goes in via veteran's committee? Undeserved, but possible...

Maybe Nick gets to 3K hits somehow, and gets #3000 in an Orioles uniform?

Maybe Manny comes back to Baltimore for a swan song, a la Eddie Murray?

How about Mark Belanger?  Ranks up there with Brooks and Ozzie Smith as the greatest defensive players I have ever seen play.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

How about Mark Belanger?  Ranks up there with Brooks and Ozzie Smith as the greatest defensive players I have ever seen play.

Agree, yep, Belanger is another decent possibility.

46 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I think atomic's point, in his own way, was to say that there really isn't any standard.  Which is why I think Pete Stanicek should be in the O's Hall of Fame for being the only player on the '88 Orioles who could consistenly beat Jon Miller in a 50-yard sprint.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think atomic's point, in his own way, was to say that there really isn't any standard.  Which is why I think Pete Stanicek should be in the O's Hall of Fame for being the only player on the '88 Orioles who could consistenly beat Jon Miller in a 50-yard sprint.

By consistently, you hypothetically mean Pete then versus Jon today right? ;) 

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think there is a standard but I think Lee May was a much better player than Tony Bautista.  But I don't see why it hurts anyone that Lee May is in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  A lot of people enjoyed him as a player for the Orioles.  I think if you want to argue about the Orioles hall of fame you should only be arguing about people who aren't in and you think deserve getting in. 

I think in 10 years or so we will have a lot of the 2012 - 2016 team in the Orioles HOF:

Tillman

Wieters

Markakis

Hardy

Jones

Machado

Britton

Jim Johnson

O'Day

3 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I mean it's all subjective, but 8 years with the team, second most saves in team history, in the conversation of best relief pitcher in team history period.  I'd argue he unquestionably deserves to be in the team HOF, but that's just me of course.  

When looking back at his stats your probably right he gets in. It’s a shame he so many seasons filled with injury. He had 3 good years with us but they weren’t just good they were dominate heck in imo in one of those theee years he was the best pitcher in baseball and could of if not should have one the cy young. I guess I just when think of a hof caliber player I think they should have more than just 3 dominate years.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For the real Hall of Fame?  There are five HOF pitchers with higher OPSes than Mark Belanger.  Belanger was a truly great fielder, but I think you're mostly disqualified when you slug .280 for your career.

Why? I mean there are guys who were primarily DH's in the Hall of Fame.  They didn't field at all.  Yet you want to hold out the second highest Defensive WAR player of all time?  

Archived